Saturday 24 April 2010

Fantasy 8th Release Date

Just a really quick post here -

WFB 8th Edition will be out on the 10th of July, a Saturday, as is usual.


It's well over 500 pages (apparently 528) which makes it beefier than, afaik, any other rulebook GW has ever produced (no, the Slaves to Darkness series don't count! :p)

There are sections regarding more than just the bog standard Pitched Battle that made this edition so formulaic, notably I hear tell of Landing Actions (eg, from ships) and some for of Siege Warfare - though these may be expansions, not actually in the book itself, the book will ofc lend itself towards these.

Other thingies are that GW intentionally released the three rumoured box contents:
* Orcs vs Empire
* High Elves vs Skaven
* Empire vs Vampire Counts

One of these is true.  I've read today that it will be HE/Skaven - which makes a fair bit of sense...nonetheless, O&G was the first book released last Edition, so surely they are getting a revamp sooner rather than later?

The box set will follow in the same time-frame Skull Pass and AoBR followed their respective Rulebooks.

Of course, if the rumoured end of the 'rank bonus limit' is true, O&G hardly need much update.  Night Goblins FTW!  If you are not aware of this rumour, you will have awesome infinite Rank Bonus in CC - but your front rank must be equal to or greater than the number you attempt to claim - eg, for a 100 strong block, you need a facing of 10 to get the +10.  I assume you would get the +9 if the Champ died or whatever.

This would go a long way towards making cheap Core units the future.  The Heavy Cavalry rumour (2+ Save or better preventing March moves) is fairly sure to be included.

Think that pretty much covers what I've heard.  Enjoy! :D

3 comments:

Zenos said...

Everything you have said here, I have heard too on the various blogs, forums etc, that I also watch. The only thing I have heard thats different is they will move back to a % based system for allocation of core, rare etc.

Interesting if they turn the focus back toward large cheap core units. Which makes perfect marketing sense. And means more sales of figures.

I often have lamented the choice of Empire as I have to paint row after row of halberds or swords to get even 500 points worth onto the field.

The interesting part will come now with the companies scramble to produce movement trays capable of holding 100 20mm bases for you to send marching off. If they begin to appear in short order, then it would appear the rumors are true.

I do feel sorry for the poor skaven clanrat general.... he/she is going to be painting bubonic brown until their head explodes. :)

TheKing Elessar said...

Let's hear it for spray! :D

If I were in that situation, then I would spray a darker brown (eg Calthan), and use a tank brush to drybrush the whole rank at once, having glued to a movement tray, most likely.

Sadly, I thought the actual release date was a bit of an exclusive...but it very much wasn't. Ho-hum.

Chumbalaya said...

The rank and magic stuff is very interesting.

The % and random charge distances is not cool.

Disclaimer.

Primarily, a blog to discuss the Games Workshop system Warhammer 40k, though not exclusively so. All GW IP used without permission, no challenge intended.

Pretty much everything here is my opinion. If you don't like my opinion, you are welcomed to say so. If you don't like me, but like my opinion, feel free to say so. If you don't like me or my opinion, I don't need to hear it. Why even visit?