Thursday 18 November 2010

Games Workshop, we love you.

Have you guys seen the new FAQs?  I just finished reading the new Rulebook one..ZOMG to the MAX!

No, really...the vast majority of things are self-evident to pretty much anybody, and are merely clarifications (units that cannot arrive from Reserve are destroyed, BOTH players must be 12" from the middle in Pitched Battle and Spearhead deployments, etc etc)

These aren't the REAL 'oh wow' of the article.  No, the real, HUGE ramification of this FAQ is something that, quite frankly, I've said for a long time.  Something that I got told was clearly incorrect and mustn't be the rule, because 'no-one plays that way'.

I refer, of course, to the question about one member of a unit having the Stealth USR, and the answer, that this is then conferred upon the unit entire.

To my mind, this is clear.  There is no ambiguity - the way in which the rule is worded seems incredibly explicit to me. In fact, it is also the 'fluffier' answer - would you really expect me to believe that Sergeant Telion's 'Voice of Experience' wouldn't carry with it the ability to tell his fellow Scouts (his charges! The FUTURE of the Chapter!!!) to duck, occasionally?!?!?!

Get real.

Well done GW for showing that you still care enough about the game to update the BRB, well done GW for no real screw ups (you misspelt 'manner', typing 'manor' instead, lol) and WELL DONE GW for contradicting retarded Internet opinion.  In your craw 'experts'.

As ever, the GW website has the FAQs and Erratas, with this specific one being: https://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1490286a_FAQ_40Krulebook_version1_1.pdf

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi TKE! We don't see you much anymore :(.

Kudos to GW for the top-notch FAQ. One issue I have (if a unit is tank-shocked it auto-fails GW) but everything else is solid, obvious STFU to people. The mini Make-way is unusual for 40k but interesting all the same in IC placement. Good for combat ICs, not good for others I think.

TheKing Elessar said...

Well, yes, the 'make-way!' is a clear change to the rule, as is the Tank Shock no longer causing subsequent auto-fails...but I can live with these.

Clearly they read my BatRep where I swept a BA Libby and full squad 40" off the board in a single movement phase! lol

TheKing Elessar said...

And now I have all the Achievements in Reach, I plan to be around a bit more.

I have another article almost ready to go, but I won't post it until about Sunday, I think. Paint on Friday rather than the editing stage. :)

DK said...

QUESTION! How do you all read the rule about the passengers of transports being killed if the transport is destroyed on a turn where it moves flat out?

in the controlling player's turn (only for terrain / unlucky blast scatter), or during the next turn (opponent shooting etc). It does not say player turn, but you know GW.

My roommate and I are debating the intent of the rule vs how it is written, and we need advice from YOU!

Chumbalaya said...

The rulebook specifically says that any mention of "turn" means "player turn" unless specified otherwise. So no change, really.

FAQ was awesome.

TKE, how did you get the "If They Came To Hear Me Beg" dealy? I've tried so many times and it never works :(

TheKing Elessar said...

As Chumb says. lol
I assume only terrain, ramming, and the potential return of Overwatch to affect it.

In answer to HIS question - I jumped off the ledge in the Package about 20 times, and eventually got it. I had a vid on my File Share, it *may* still be there?

Sigmar said...

Yep, GW have certainly been working on their product support over the past few years. They went through a phase of getting obsessed with new store openings and new armies but I think they have the balance right now.

Sigmar
my Gallery
my Battle Reports
my WFB blog
Fantasy forum

Disclaimer.

Primarily, a blog to discuss the Games Workshop system Warhammer 40k, though not exclusively so. All GW IP used without permission, no challenge intended.

Pretty much everything here is my opinion. If you don't like my opinion, you are welcomed to say so. If you don't like me, but like my opinion, feel free to say so. If you don't like me or my opinion, I don't need to hear it. Why even visit?