Wednesday 5 January 2011

Happy Birthday to me!

First off - it's fine, I didn't REALLY expect a flood of emails (would've been nice...) so don't feel bad for forgetting.

EDIT: Just so we're clear - THIS is a song that sums up the emotion going on...I'm not depressed.  :)


It's a very strange feeling, this birthday.  I'm twenty-five...that's significant.  A quarter of a Century, and a third of my life-expectancy, already gone.  Under the belt, so to speak...though you couldn't tell to look at my figure! Dude! You sound like Brent, what are you doing?!?

There are a lot of things in my life I am yet to achieve, or I feel I should/would like to achieve.  I've still not written a whole episode for the sitcom I'm supposedly writing, mostly because I'm easily...that things where you...stop...and because when I return to the stuff I leave half-done I feel either disheartened, or (overly?) critical and bin it.

I haven't left the British Isles, like, ever, and it doesn't look imminent, despite my firm conviction last year that I wanted to partake of the 2011 ETC and maybe NoVa Open, if it were possible.

I've never killed a man in cold-blood, and shot my load onto a hooker in the middle of the street...wait, no...something's wrong there...(I used to enjoy being on the FTW BlogRoll, but I honestly wonder if I will ever again have a frontpage Ron would be happy to link to... :( It's a shame, but I still heartily endorse his PG-rated content, as the guy does phenomenal work and created THE premier Blog Network (sorry House of Paincakes!)

I've not written a Guest Article for anywhere, despite more than a few offers - and a couple of false starts on that very thing.

I've never finished painting an army (are they EVER finished?) and I've never finished my Complete Guide To The Eldar.  I've never run a Tournament, and I've never properly had a pet of my own.

But it isn't all negative - it's just a good time for reflection.  There are many, many positive things I can think of [a lot I won't be telling the internet about! ;-) ] and I still have 2/3 of my life to achieve them.  I'm moving house, starting Friday (when I get the keys) and, while that won't be the cut and dried swift stress-free affair I'd love, it is manageable.

I have a great number of e-friends I have made through this blogging lark, and, to a (slightly) lesser extent through Heresy Online and inferior forums (no offence LO - you were the first to wish me Happy Birthday, [automated emails FTW!] which made me feel guilty for me absenteeism.)  I choose not to try and name you all, because you all deserve links, and spamming links is fucking annoying to read sometimes.  You know who you are...and if you aren't sure, then it's probably you too.

My new house will, for the first time, be able to have a dedicated battle board.  This is HUGE for me, as it will allow me to shoot videos of deployments at 4am when Chatbawks is rowdy, and tiredness is a phase I'm getting over.   In addition, I may attempt a few Video BatReps for the first time (not really first, but I don't think any of you know about those...*AHEM*) and get those up with my awesome new £25 digital camera.  Nah, it's shit, but for BatReps, it may do.  Hard to argue with £25 for a video camera.  It's less than a Predator.

Speaking of Predators - I have the best and largest collection of models I have ever had, and may finally finish enough armies that I can post photos of them!  That would be nice.  My blog is more popular than ever (somehow...) and I've been banned permanently from Warseer.

I've won the Ugandan lottery, and someone from France wishes to be my wife! [Genuine email content - Je suis attirée par ton profite et souhaiterais nouer une relation sérieuse pouvant aboutir au mariage avec vous. J'aime les enfants et aimerais fonder un foyer sur les bases de l'honnêteté, la sincérité, la fidélité et le respect de l'autre. Si vous n'êtes pas partant pour le mariage et ces précieuses valeurs qui pour moi sont des piliers fondamentaux d'une bonne relation sentimentale, eh bien ne perdez pas votre temps. tout le plaisir sera pour moi de te rencontrer afin de mieux partager ce point commun et vivre mieux cet amour que nous recherchons . Peu importe ta couleur , ta race , ton statut , seul le don de ton cœur me suffira. j’espère avoir de tes nouvelles ]

Life is good.

Or, at least, okay.

Okay is better, in a way - less distance to fall when it goes to shit.

Regardless, you want to know how my Chaos Homebrews are coming, don't you?  Well, I've been a busy bee. (Not a busty bee, like Katie Drake! ...Please don't hurt me!)

Apart from the Beastmen that you likely know about, I have posted rules for Berzerkers and regular Renegades, and have written Cultists, Spawn, Huron Blackheart, Plague Marines, Noise Marines and Rubric Marines too - and it is this last that I present as my 'Unbirthday' Present to the Internets.

Thousand Sons have always been my favourite Traitor Legion, despite my couple thousand points of Death Guard.  There was a fluff piece in one of the 2e books (I THINK it was the Rulebook, or maybe Wargear.  Pretty sure it wasn't the Codex Imperialis) talking about shortly after the Heresy when the TSons had returned to Prospero to reclaim and remove it to the Eye of Terror.

It was garrisoned by Ultramarines (of course!) and the main character of the piece (can't have been more than a page?) strangled one with a tentacle, bemoaned the ongoing and rapid mutation of his Legion, and described an incredibly detailed process by which he cherry-picked his memories.

Apart from their other fluff, before and since, this has always stood out as an iconic piece for me - whether it was the undercurrent of sorrow and shame, the regret that they were fighting for Chaos instead of still with the Emperor, or the compartmentalisation of the brain like that, that appealed to me most, I can never know.  they were always the most tragic of the Legions, and I think that is the main selling point...but I can't be sure.  Seventeen years have passed, and *I* don't have total recall.

The point is, I hate their current incarnation because it reduces them to less than the Dust they are.  They are useless - and it makes me sad.  This is MY version.

Thousand Sons Rubric Marines - 50 points. [TROOPS]

Rubric Marine : WS4 BS4 S4 T4 W2 I2 A1 Ld10 Sv3+/3++
Master Sorceror : WS5 BS5 S4 T4 W2 I5 A3 Ld10 Sv3+/3++

Unit Composition: 3 Rubric Marines

Wargear: Rubric Marine - Boltgun, Power Armour, Inferno Bolts, Mark of Tzeentch [in profile]
              Master Sorceror - Bolt pistol, Power Armour, Force Weapon, Inferno Bolts, Mark of Tzeentch [in profile]

Special Rules: 
Rubric Marines - Slow and Purposeful, Fearless
Master Sorceror - Psyker, Son of Magnus, Magickal Ward

Dedicated Transport: Rhino [+35 points] Chaos Land Raider [+215 points]

Options:
You may add up to 6 Rubric Marines@20pts each
You may add a Master Sorceror to the unit@50pts
The Master Sorceror MUST be equipped with one or more of the following Psychic Powers at the cost below:
Bolt of Tzeentch@15pts ; Gift of Chaos@10pts ; Warp Blast**@10pts ; Flames of Tzeentch@FREE

NOTES :
Inferno Bolts - Shots fired with 'Bolt' weaponry become AP3, and ignore Cover and Invulnerable Saves.
Mark of Tzeentch - Provides the model with a 3+ Invulnerable Save.
Chaos Land Raider - This starts with a Transport of 20, and no sponsons.  Sponsons cost like 25 points-ish.
Magickal Ward - Enemy Psychic Powers that are cast within 6" are negated on a d6 roll of 2+.  The number increases by 1 for every full 6" between the caster and the model with this Rule - eg, a Librarian 24" away will have powers negated upon a 5+.
Bolt of Tzeentch - Range: 36" S8 AP1 Heavy 1
Gift of Chaos - Range 12" Sx AP- Assault 1 - An enemy model hit by this takes a T test, or is removed and replaced by a Chaos Spawn.
Flames of Tzeentch - Range: Template S6 AP4 Assault2
Warp Blast - Range 18" S7 AP3 Assault 1, Melta
Son of Magnus - A model with this rule is permitted to use two Psychic Powers in the same Player Turn - this may include the same power twice (this also overrides the restriction on using only one Psychic Shooting Attack.)


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
** - I know, I know.  Shit name.  Really needs work, but I couldn't think of anything better...PLEASE suggest stuff.

23 comments:

Kriswithak said...

Happy birthday!
TSons are the only chaos chapter I would even consider playing, but like you say their rules are pretty meh!

I'd highly recommend trying to do an overseas trip too, can be a real eye opener, even if it does use valuable 40k funds!

TheKing Elessar said...

Thank you Kris!

Sadly, yes.

Also, sadly, yes. lol - But it is something I WILL do...just 'when' is the issue. A lot of the UK still to see. :)

As for TSons themselves, what do you think of *my* rules?

Eidolon said...

hey guys its me tke and im a big dumb dumb head. just whoring out my big dumb dumb blog to CdH over on heresy, cause im pretty dumb. Also, KD gets mentioned and not him cause he doesnt pretend to be a girl :(

CounterFett said...

Happy Birthday.

I guess I fall in that "probably are" category!

Cheer up, a lot of us haven't done those things on your list, don't get so down.

Here's to another fun year of fighting the bad fight against the slaves of the false emperor!

suneokun said...

TKE ... Happy Birthday, now the Schmoo!

1) You're 25! Hahahhahahaha, brilliant - 25-35 is the best age range as you get to achieve stuff that's important and look forward to making little TKEs (if that's your thing), its all good buddy.
2) You're British? Well you're the most yanked out Brit I ever heard, the whole writing style is pure USA - or are you the new wave of those who learnt to write on the tinterweb thingiebob?
3) Thousand Sons are too hard, or too cheap. I agree that the current Sons are a waste of space - but 2 wounds 3+/3++ with AP3 bolters at 20pts each ... nah. That's gotta be 30-35 points each, think Tyranid Warriors/Nob bikers/Terminators.

If they had that stat everybody'd take them...

So while negative, its all positive, love and shite ... innit.

ItsPug said...

Happy Birthday TKE!

Oh and the story you're looking for is on the last 3 pages of the 2ed wargear book.

As to the thousand sons I agree, either reduce the wounds or the invulnerable save or you need to up the points.

You could maybe give the Sorceror a new power - The Sorceror commands, pass a psychic test to remove slow and purposeful and grant relentless instead. Shouldn't be too overpowered, you move a bit faster and strike at initiative in the first turn of CC. It fits with the (very) little fluff I've read which states that left alone without a sorceror to command them Rubic marines simply stand in place.

Loquacious said...

What the hell did I do now? if someone was pretending to be me on a forum, they're idiots.

1- I don't do forums, and
2- who the hell would want to be me?

however, in the interest of fairness-

have a lovely birthday.

Chumbalaya said...

Happy B-day Broseph. Enjoy getting old :P

TheKing Elessar said...

Hah! LO as in Librarium Online, not Lo. :P

Eejit.

Thanks. :)

MCD - I'm pretty sure Katie isn't pretending... <3 you too.

Fett - I'm not down, just reflecting. :) Thanks, and, sadly (?) I plan to spend most of the year helping the Emperor...

Sun - Fair. Cost should probably go up, it's harder for me to impartial with them. Thanks.
And yep, Bitish/Irish in pretty equal measure, I guess sounding Americanised is just something to live with, lol.

Being 25 is grand so far, so let's hope it stays that way? lol. 15 hours is an odd time for me to be judging it now though.

Chris - thanks! I kinda agree on The Sorc Commands, but if I do that it isn't a limiting factor for the Melta. Needs playtesting, when the whole FanDex is done.

And thanks for finding me the story! lol

TheKing Elessar said...

Thanks Chumby! <3

ItsPug said...

I think the real thing that is making them overpowered (apart from the points already mntioned) is the Son of Magnus rule.

For 50 points your getting a statline and abilities on par with those of a 150+ point SM librarian (extra BS, I, W and A, 3++ save, fearless, two psychic shooting attacks and losing out by having to buy their powers and not being an IC)

Inferno bolts, leave as AP3 but remove the ignores cover and make them re-roll successful invulnerable saves?

Powers themselves need a little work, when combined with the SoM rule you can put down 4 str 6 AP 4 templates (and 2 shots from an Ap3 bolter that ignores all saves) from the top hatch of a rhino for a total of 145 points... they'll end up being the new meltavets

I'd suggest having two levels of sorceror, one as an Apprentice (+50 points) WS4 BS5 S4 T4 W1 I4 A2 Ld10 Sv3+/4+ one psychic power and the possibility to upgrade the apprentice to a Master (+50 points) +1WS, +1W, +1I, +1A, two psychic powers.

May purchase multiple traits...

Son of Magnus (+15 points) may use two psychic shooting attacks, but not the same one twice. (Master only)

Ecstatic Duplication (+15 points)
May use the same power twice per turn (includes force weapon and may be combined with SoM, Master only)

The Sorceror Commands (+15 points)
The unit the sorceror belongs to is no longer slow and purposeful but still counts as relentless.

Familiar (+10 points) may purchase an additional psychic power and may ignore a perils on a 4+

Psychic powers

Changing of the Ways (20 points)
Units invulnerable save is increased by +1 until the chaos players next turn, may only be cast upon thousand sons models and does not affect attached characters

Withering Gaze (+20 points)
Take a psychic test if a unit declares a charge against the unit, if successful the charging unit must pass a morale test on 3d6 or lose all charging bonuses (if failed on a score of 18 the unit may not charge)

Daemonic Utterings (15 points)
Range 18" S7 AP3 Assault 1, Melta

Boon of Tzeentch (35 points)
May re-roll failed invulerable saves, (master only)

Transformation of Tzeentch (+25 points)
Range 12" Sx AP- Assault 1 - An enemy model hit by this takes a T test, or is removed and replaced by a Chaos Spawn if the Chaos player has one available, place the spawn as close to the original point as possible but 1" away from any enemy models, the spawn may act normally this turn (may charge) and does not count as a kill point.

Pink Fire of Tzeentch (+10 points)
Range: Template S4 AP4 Assault2

Tzeentch's Firestorm (+10 points)
Range: Template S5 AP3 Assault1

Bolt of Tzeentch (+15 points)
Range: 36" S8 AP1 Heavy 1

points will obviously need playtesting...

ItsPug said...

oops, wall of text... sorry!

TheKing Elessar said...

...No need to apologise, excellent contribution!

I shall definitely create a Mk2 of the unit.

However, I won't do so until my rules for the other Cults are all available. :)

Lauby said...

ah... birfdays. I turn 30 in a 29 days. I'll let you know how that goes.

If I remember correctly, that story was in one of the 2e rule books. it was one of my favorites ans has always stuck with me. I'm gonna have to go look for that.

Farmpunk said...

happy B-day you young whippersnapper!

Stormy said...

I was going to make a smart comment about giving you STI's or something but I'll never equal a marraige proposal. Especially seeing as same-sex ceremonies are still illegal here down south.

Happy birthday.

Messanger of Death said...

Happy Birthday Dude!!! *E-hug*

Messanger

Messanger of Death said...

p.s. dude your old... 25 is like old. :P

TheKing Elessar said...

Thank you Lauby, Farmpunk, Stormy and Messanger...

Lauby - I feel for you. Another excuse to post though, so - silver lining!

Stormy - Hah, the only place I'll get any STIs is your mum.

MoD - I'm NOT old... *runs off crying*

Venerable Brother said...

Happy belated birthday wishes......not that the birthday was belated...just the wishes.
25 isn't too old bro..jus slightly over the hill...

TheKing Elessar said...

Thanks Venerable! :)

Lauby said...

threadomancy, HO! the story you were looking for is at the end of the 2nd edition wargear book.

TheKing Elessar said...

Thanks, I'm going to dig it out when this moving bollocks is over. :)

Disclaimer.

Primarily, a blog to discuss the Games Workshop system Warhammer 40k, though not exclusively so. All GW IP used without permission, no challenge intended.

Pretty much everything here is my opinion. If you don't like my opinion, you are welcomed to say so. If you don't like me, but like my opinion, feel free to say so. If you don't like me or my opinion, I don't need to hear it. Why even visit?