Wednesday 20 July 2011

A Tautally Different Approach?

Last night, as I mentioned via my Twitter account (see link just below the banner, above) I wrote a nice new Tau army list that I'd very much like to give a few spins.

Without further ado, here it is, shorn of Plasma Rifles, and filled with Corpses-In-Waiting instead.



HQ:

*Shas'O:
Missile Pod, Plasma Rifle, Multi-Tracker - 87

ELITES:

*Crisis Team:
3 Suits; Twin-Linked Missile Pod, Flamer - 141

*Crisis Team:
3 Suits; Twin-Linked Missile Pod, Flamer - 141
*Crisis Team:
3 Suits; Twin-Linked Missile Pod, Flamer - 141

TROOPS:

*6 Fire Warriors - 60
*6 Fire Warriors:
Devilfish [Disruption pod, Smart Missile System] - 165
*6 Fire Warriors:
Devilfish [Disruption pod, Smart Missile System] - 165
*10 Kroot:
3 Kroot Hounds - 88
*10 Kroot - 70

FAST ATTACK:

*Piranha Squadron:
Fusion Blaster, Disruption Pod, Targetting Array - 75
*Piranha Squadron:
Fusion Blaster, Disruption Pod, Targetting Array - 75
*Pathfinder Team:
6 Pathfinders, Devilfish [Disruption Pod, Smart Missile System] - 177

HEAVY SUPPORT:

*Hammerhead Gunship:
Railgun, Disruption Pod, Smart Missile System - 165
*Broadside Team:
3 Broadsides, Smart Missile System, Target Lock - 225
*Broadside Team:
3 Broadsides, Smart Missile System, Target Lock - 225

TOTAL: 2000

The Kroot Hounds were actually as I had 18 points remaining at that point, which was nice, since I had everything I wanted.  Thoughts?





7 comments:

ItsPug said...

I don't play tau so bear that in mind but...

Whats with the extra fire warriors? Would you not be better with more bubblewrap kroot? or even outflank 2x 20+ kroot and hounds in a draw mission?

tzeentchling said...

I'd actually be tempted to do this:

Take out the Hammerhead, and distribute the Broadsides into 3x2 squads, rather than the two of three. More targetting, though you do lose a railgun.

Strip the SMS from all the remaining Devilfish - without the BS upgrade, they're almost wasted points.

This should, if my math is correct, allow you to add a 4th Firewarrior squad with Devilfish. That's 6 troops, which is quite a bit for Tau.

Given this, I'd drop the hounds and try to boost the Pathfinder squad. Note you still have 4 tanks to block LOS to your crisis suits.

Death Korps of War said...

hmmmmm.....this looks exactly like the list you are trying to pawn off to me, albeit without the Plasma Rifles on the suits.

TheKing Elessar said...

Well, Chris, the extra Kroot essentially don't score, because they don;t really ever live long enough. Beyond the 20 required to block the table edge against Nids in DoW, not much benefit. :)

Fire Warriors in stupidly-tough AV12 will actually score occasionally. ;)

Tzeentchling - that is tempting, but I'd more likely drop the Hounds for +1BS on all 'Fish.

zob said...

I am pretty sure I said it before but 3rd target lock on broadsides is meaningless 2 is enough. If you lose plasma from 'el and cut back some hounds you'll have points to put a drone controller and shield drones in that empty slot.

ItsPug said...

Yeah I was just thinking that 165 points for what is effectively 3.5 str 5 shots at about 18-24 inches is a bit shit. (shit compared to a chimera mind)

Whereas having a second line of bubble wrap or 40 guys outflanking could screw up some plans or hold up the enemy for another turn or two? No? Am I being thick again?

TheKing Elessar said...

Yeah, lol, thanks Zob - I always assume they have to have the same gear when writing it, for some reason.

That said, I don't rate Shield Drones.

Chris - Sure it is. But it's a line of Tank Shocking, MUCH harder to kill than Kroot bubblewrap itself - that has some small offensive capacity.

Kroot hold the enemy up by blocking movement, not by killing or tying in CC, they roll in both against MEQs.

If playing KPs, the fish are line two of wrap - if not, the Kroot go poof and prove largely useless, as camping them on objectives is a bit fail.

Especially when having woods on tables is unreliable at best - remember the boards at WarpCon? There were about 5 with any trees, and most of them were top ten.

Disclaimer.

Primarily, a blog to discuss the Games Workshop system Warhammer 40k, though not exclusively so. All GW IP used without permission, no challenge intended.

Pretty much everything here is my opinion. If you don't like my opinion, you are welcomed to say so. If you don't like me, but like my opinion, feel free to say so. If you don't like me or my opinion, I don't need to hear it. Why even visit?