Thursday 17 November 2011

Eldar Codex Project: Warlocks, Bonesingers and the Vyper Jetbike


Well,

It's been a very long time in coming, but here is the promised Warlock and Bonesinger entries. As you've all waited so long, I am also throwing on the Vyper Jetbike, as it was very easy to update as I saw fit.







Lets start with the Warlocks entry:

READ ME :D

Just take a read and I'll see you after the jump....

Well, after you've finished raging/salivating/crying let me explain the choices behind the unit. I wanted the Warlocks to become the backbone of the Eldar army, in the same fashion that people have to sacrifice an Elites slot for Wolf Guard to lead their other squads. The huge variety of psychic powers needed introducing due to the high reliance of the Eldar on psykers - something that I didn't feel was present in the current codex incarnation.

Due to the long period of time I spent contemplating this unit, I want to see what you guys think of it.... any feedback would be fantastic - considering the importance of the unit to 'Widthdar'. It was difficult to price them - they aren't as good as TH/SS termies, but they have a good deal more utility than before - I opted for the compromise of 35ppm - not as expensive as TH/SS, but high enough to warrant their utility.

I am quite proud of the way the Warlock Alpha rules have turned out, it was a labour of love to get them finished on time.

Next up, the Bonesinger!

See, I got this guy on eBay for a high sum and I have always wanted to use him. He is a great sculpt, even if he lacks any official sets of rules. Sure I could run him as a Farseer proxy, but the fact he's wielding an Isithra Kasra rather than a witchblade meant that I was encountering problems when I played with him. People went 'What's he...?' and people were crying 'He's not Wizzgig!' when I explained who he was representing.
Then, I tried using some of the 'Bonesinger' rules scattered across the internet, but people didn't like it even remotely. Admittedly, some people do vomit across the internet when they feel like making a creative contribution - and the rules I tried were evidently of this sort.
After reading The Path of The Seer and replaying Dawn of War, which did a bit more to stimulate my own rules interpretation, I came up with the following:

Bonesinger Alpha Rules

....Back now?

Yeah, they're Eldar techmarines giving the tanks something like fortitude.... like them? *hopes*

I was a little conflicted about making their 'bonesinger powers' psychic or not, but by making them un-psychic it means they roughly equate to the abilities of a techmarine. The 'offensive' power is nasty yes, but it barely equates to the abilities of a Grey Knights techmarine's grenades - stripping toughness down etc equates to dirty, dirty play in my book ;).

Finally, as a little extra, the start of Fast Attack - something that *should* make some people happy, the 'new' vyper jetbike rules.

In case you forgot what they looked like, here you go:

Absolutionis

This was a very easy fix, merely decreasing the cost of weapons and bringing them more into line with current alpha-version ruleset. I did make a couple of slight changes to the jetbike, but you'll have to read the rules to find out what they are... :)

Vyper Alpha


If you have any suggestions, hit me up and I'll be happy to read and alter accordingly.... Next time, The Falcon, The Fire Prism and Nightspinnerrrrr (yeah, the Vyper is a one-off from FA for the time being... ;).)

2 comments:

sir_m1ke said...

Hey Width,

Super long comment...engaged!!

Starting with the warlocks, love the concept and the move to being a proper unit that can be split up. I also really like the Active/Passive mechanic, its simple and can create some really interesting combos

So some points that i noted as i read the entry-

-witchblades are already in the rulebook, i understand you changed it to a 3+ to wound because of the psychic power. But 2+ to wound and S9 are standard now, why not keep them and simply change the power to rending for witchblades? or have the Keening power affect the blades?

-I would like clearer definition for Eldar powers "start of the turn" doesnt really exist, as the start of the turn is technically the movement phase. This causes confusion with the order for reserves etc. I would personally prefer it to say "after reserved units have completed their moves but before any other unit moves"....or something of that ilk. Grey areas and poor definition are a big problem for GW as it is

-Why not let them join aspect warriors? Yeh, balance could be tricky but still....would be easier to let them join any unit except Harlequins

-Singing spear- not a witchblade in cc anymore? Just clarifying

-Spirit stones- i feel this upgrade confuses things, i think the 1active/1passive power mechanic is simple and effective enough without throwing extra powers on them

-WHat is Fate twisting?? It is in the Augment power, is it a Farseer thing? Just wondered

-I dont see the point of guided strike, i would make it so it helps hitting vehicles rather than penning them

Okies, Bonesinger next! My issue with this unit is that it seems to me that it just wont be taken- the other elite choices are just better. 100pts for a single model that mite repair a vehicle...meh

I would maybe make it an upgrade for a warlock, in the same way as a spiritseer

Also, the repair mechanic confuses me- does it stack? Like if i roll a 6, does it repair a weapon, remove immobilised and also remove shaken/stunned? Cos if it only removes that specific effect then he is def not worth the points, thats too much random (roll 4D6 and then hope you roll the right result on the table...) so i would rather it removed a specific effect on one vehicle

Lastly but certainly not least- the Vyper. I so want vypers to be good, my poor Saim Hann have been Vyper-less for too long!!

If you keep your unit entry, the only thing i would say is spirit stones are too expensive, thats pretty much it

HOWEVER....

I would much rather the vyper become an actual jetbike, in the same way as an attack bike. it is a "vyper jetbike" not a "vyper light tank"- and would help differ from things like the hornet

so if i was to write it-
WS6 BS3 S5 T6(4) W2 I6 A1 Ld9 Sv3+

Unit type- Eldar jetbike
Weapons- Shuriken cannon, twin linked shuriken catapult
Special rules- Hit and Run, Weapon platform (may fire 2 weapons a turn)

And then keep the same weapon options, and maybe an upgrade for holofields (5+ invuln save) and CTM (+1BS)

This unit is more resistant to things like bolters, autocannons/multilasers etc but a single krak missle or other S8+ weapon and its gone (counts as T4 vs ID). It is more mobile (move 12" and fire both weapons) but can be affected by things that take characteristics tests. And it is more likely to be hit on a 4+ in cc, although hit and run and I6 lets it escape if it survives

Oh, and let one be taken in a jetbike squad please :D

Just my 2000 pence :)

Dirk said...

Let's start out by saying I generally like your take on warlocks. The Wolf Guard-esque mechanism for taking and distributing them works and, in my opinion, is appropriate.
The idea of passive and active powers is original (at least, I haven't seen it before) and I like it.

Now, onto the nitty gritty.

- First, statlines. Whence the WS 5? Warlocks are supposed to have a background as aspect warriors, but clearly have been able to let go (as opposed to exarchs). So, what makes them deserving of WS 5?

- Then runic armour, just a simple idea on my part. What about runic armour granting a 5+ armour save in addition to the invulnerable save? In case you come across weapons that ignore invulnerable saves. Then you still have the regular armour save left. It is still dense wraithbone after all.

- Regarding witch blades, am I to understand that the option to make a psychic test to improve the weapon to 2+ and S9 v wehicles is only available if the active psychic power you chose is the witchblade power, or is the option always available and is the witchblade power a separate power?
Another question is why you opted to make the change in the first place? Why aren't you satisfied with how witchblades work currently?

- On the wording of the warlock special rule I have two comments:
1. I suggest deleting the second part of the sentence describing passive powers, the part regarding psychic defence. For one, psychic defence isn't defined in the rules. Secondly, most psychic defence triggers on the taking of psychic tests, so doesn't work any way. Thirdly, 'psychic defence' that does avoid psychic tests and just cancels out any psychic power, should also work against this, since it cancels out psychics in general.
2. No need to specify when active powers are activated. If you use the regular formulation of psychic powers that is current in the past few codices, it should be specified in the power itself.

- On the singing spear, I second m1ke's question: not a witchblade?

- Why does the spiritseer have a different profile?

- Keening. You mean the target is not one of your own units, but an enemy unit?

- Animate. Given that most wraithbone constructs are units focussed on shooting, how useful is this power going to be?

On Bonesingers... not much of an opinion at this point.

Vypers then, I understand m1ke's line of thinking in suggesting to put it as something other than a vehicle. The distinction between creatures and vehicles can be slim, especially in the category of such light vehicles. However, I'm not sure I agree.

Disclaimer.

Primarily, a blog to discuss the Games Workshop system Warhammer 40k, though not exclusively so. All GW IP used without permission, no challenge intended.

Pretty much everything here is my opinion. If you don't like my opinion, you are welcomed to say so. If you don't like me, but like my opinion, feel free to say so. If you don't like me or my opinion, I don't need to hear it. Why even visit?