Sunday 27 May 2012

Looking Forwards...Wait, Haven't I Used That One?

SO, given my spectacular implosion at Salvation (the renamed Assault on Arkham: Spring Slaughter) last weekend, I doffed my thinking cap, and had a good once over the Blood Angel Codex.  Well, actually, I had a go over a couple of Codexes, but since I have a BA army 'ready' it's by far the most likely.

After thinking on what was and wasn't a failure in the list, or perhaps simply how it was employed, I ended up here:



Librarian;
Sword, Shield, Infernus - 115
Librarian;
Sword, Shield, Infernus - 115
Priest;
Melta Bombs - 55
Priest;
Melta bombs - 55
Assault Squad;
Meltagun, Razor [Las/Plas, Dozer] - 170
Assault Squad;
Meltagun, Razor [Las/Plas, Dozer] - 170
Assault Squad;
Meltagun, Razor [Las/Plas, Dozer] - 170
Assault Squad;
Meltagun, Razor [Las/Plas, Dozer] - 170
Assault Squad;
Meltagun, Infernus Pistol, Razor [TLHF, Dozer] - 150
Assault Squad;
Meltagun, Infernus Pistol, Razor [TLHF, Dozer] - 150
Baal Predator;
Flamestorm, Dozer, Searchlight - 121
Baal Predator;
Flamestorm, Dozer, Searchlight - 121
Predator;
Autocannon, Lascannons, Dozer - 140
Predator;
Autocannon, Lascannons, Dozer - 140

10 Hulls, 4 of which are AV13, 34 FnP Marines.  Only 2 Power Weapons, still have 4 double Melta units, 2 single, or 2 triple and 4 single, depending on how desperately I need them/how lacking the enemy anti-tank is at range.

I gain much, much more ability to kill some types of things that are an issue (Scarabs, FnP DE, Long Fangs) and really only lose the ability to flame Necron Warriors off high buildings - and since they can take Flamers out and force me to divert to an alternate target...

Assault Cannons instead of Flamestorms have of course been considered and discussed - but the sad fact is that they're unreliable, and reliability is what my list needs.  With the Speeders, I had too many 1-shot Meltas, and when those DO let me down, I take a hammering, having overextended.  One very bad shooting phase away from taking a mild pasting isn't a position I like to be in, and being forced to change my battleplan mid-game because I can't roll average results is unpleasant at best.

Don't get me wrong, prepare for the worst, hope for the best is definitely an adage I subscribe to - but it's just vexing when things assume the shape of the pear against the odds.

The biggest issue for the list is that I have to build new TLHF turrets! Haha.  Well, that, and I'm not sure if I have enough Rhino chassis, amazingly.  The silly number of Predators I bought means I have more than enough turrets for my new conversion idea (45-point Twin Lascannons suck, chop chop chop) but they'll then look different from the other turrets in the army, and it requires sacking 4 of my Speeder HFs - I don't think I have that many spares, so I'll be borrowing from the future (learned this trick from the economy...) and buying more later when they cost more despite the inefficiency of such to replace the ones I took from my half-built Speeders.

PS - I already have a ticket, despite my misgivings about being able to get the time off, so hopefully on my 'home turf' I'll be able to pull out at WORST a top ten finish.  Given how tight the field was last time out (I could have got 8 more points in the three games I lost, still lost them, and finished 3rd) I'm wary of setting my sights much higher than that.




PPS - the pic isn't MY army, but it looks good.  Apparently it's from last year's Conflict GT.

4 comments:

Splinter said...

TKE - Why two librarians?

I've been using a couple in a space wolf list I conjured from the corner but dropped one in favor of some lone wolves.

Anyway... Well wishes from the corner...

CK

TheGraveMind said...

My thoughts
Drop either the second lib or one of the Razorback squads. Take those points and buy Infernus pistols/combi meltas for everyone else, that way you have a bit more reliability on the metlas when a squad shoots.
Left over points either upgraded HF to lasplas or buy some storm bolters for the baals. I always felt buying the bolters for them were worth it, cause one immobilized result ruins them.

TheKing Elessar said...

If I could get some sort of ablative wound for Immobilised results, I absolutely would! Without that, the Bolters (Storm and Heavy both) are just too overpriced for my taste. I'd sooner even take a HKM. Sort of.

The second Libby gives me a lot more freedom of maneuver and beter Shield coverage, I'm quite fond of it tbh.

Certainly, the extra reliability would be great, and if I get enough games in to test it, I will.

Having two chances to Sword stuff (and hood Cleansing Flame/Hammerhand) is very pleasing.

Floody said...

"Assault Cannons instead of Flamestorms have of course been considered and discussed - but the sad fact is that they're unreliable, and reliability is what my list needs."

www.warhamsandwich.com disagrees.
It's an excellent mathhammer blog by a clubmate. Check the earlier posts and there's a great one on whacking armour.

Disclaimer.

Primarily, a blog to discuss the Games Workshop system Warhammer 40k, though not exclusively so. All GW IP used without permission, no challenge intended.

Pretty much everything here is my opinion. If you don't like my opinion, you are welcomed to say so. If you don't like me, but like my opinion, feel free to say so. If you don't like me or my opinion, I don't need to hear it. Why even visit?