Tuesday 7 July 2009

Continued Eldar Advice :)




Greg said...


excellent advice, I've tried to take it all into account when editing my earlier list, is this more the kind of list you're talking about?

Farseer
-Doom
-Guide
-Rune of Witnessing
-Rune of Warding
-Spirit Stones
145
6 Fire Dragons
Wave Serpent
-Eldar Missile Launcher
-Spirit Stones
210
5 Dire Avengers
-Exarch
-Dual Shuriken Catapult
-Bladestorm
Wave Serpent
-Eldar Missile Launcher
-Spirit Stones
222
5 Dire Avengers
-Exarch
-Dual Shuriken Catapult
-Bladestorm
Wave Serpent
-Eldar Missile Launcher
-Spirit Stones
222
5 Pathfinders
120
9 Warp Spiders
-Exarch
-Dual Death Spinner
215
Fire Prism
115
Fire Prism
115
Fire Prism
115
total:1495

Also, I've been toying with a couple of options, namely:
a) take out both Dire Avenger Exarchs and all they come with, as well as one Fire Dragon, in order to upgrade one Serpent to a Bright Lance and replace the Farseer with Eldrad!
b) again take out both Dire Avenger Exarchs and all they come with, as well as one Fire Dragon and one Warp Spider to give all 3 Prisms Holo-Fields.
I know I can't seem to stop asking for advice, and I am sorry, but so far its helped massively :
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Better, definitely :)
Having 3 Fire Prisms is a huge boost from having 2 - the ability to pump out that S10 AP1 t-l hit when you need it (Monoliths, for example, or even a LR that's too far away to commit the Dragons to [never shoot a Monolith through choice, but that's another story]) - y0u can still throw out a 9/2 or a 5/4 to another target. It adds redundancy, vital to Eldar possibly above all lists, due to the Eldar's fragility, keeping you firing more for longer.

The issue with DAVUs having Exarchs is threefold:
Encourages aggressive use - at ten men this is possibly viable, if not ideal. With merely 5, a single blast from a Railhead will kill the whole squad. Only if ALL anti-Infantry threats in range are eliminated is it then okay to get out - and if this is the case you're obviously trying to table the opponent, so don't lose your focus, commit more firepower than you need to guarantee a bad roll won't cost you the points.
Points Sink - The Exarch upgrade costs the same as another guy - without upgrades he merely adds a fraction of an extra hit a turn - definitely not wworth it unless tooled, but then the points quickly mount up. With a your set of upgrades that single model costs 44 points - this could be far better invested in a model that might get out of the transport more than once a game. :)
Torrent of Fire - The fact that there are only 5 guys in the unit makes it more likely, when they do get out, that the Exarch has to take wounds, thanks to the Wound Allocation rules - this makes it more likely he'll die, and all his abilities are lost to the unit. Even if they never get out, you can still take a wound if the transport is blown out of the sky, since you all take wounds on 3+, it's not hugely unlikely everyone takes one.

Now, discussing the options you put forward -
Holo-fields are awesome on anything that'll take a significant amount of fire. However, they're expensive - those 3 almost buys you another Prism, had you the room. On Prisms, I don't run them. I use Wave Serpents to block enemy LOS, and obscure my vehicle for the cover save, this is generally enough, coupled with moving away 12" a turn, lol, to save me from the majority of enemy fire. Admittedly, I've never played an IG gunline with this list, or an army as mobile as mine - keep them in mind, but, for now, I recommend taking Eldrad. After playing a few games with Eldrad, I want to see how he gets on - I used to use him in my similar list, but eventually dropped for Yriel for the CC power (at 1750) and I want to see if you encounter the same issues as I did. :)

8 comments:

Unknown said...

right, ive played a few games and the general feelings I got were
a)Eldrad did practically nothing ( i put him with the Pathfinders because the other units weren't strong enough to warrant putting him in them.
b)the Avengers did practically nothing as well, they just died basically.
c)Warp Spiders, while fun in low points and awesome looking, are too unpredictable to invest so many points in I think.

I'm afraid I feel I have to upgrade the Avenger unit back to 1 10 man squad, just because the 5 man units were so helpless and without that anti infantry fire base I was outnumbered and outclassed.
In fact for my next game I'm gonna go crazy and have 2 Avenger units, both 10 man with the full works, both in Serpents, plus 5 Dragons in a Serpent, 5 Pathfinders, 3 Prisms and 2 Seers, see how it plays out.

TheKing Elessar said...

Okay, try those changes. My suggestions though, mainly revolve around dropping Eldrad for Yriel. :)

If you have anti-tank covered with Lances on the Serps, and the Dragons, then the Prisms ONLY shoot Infantry. This is where the a-i fire comes from.

Only ever an issue against the like of Templars walking, because there are so many, and it takes a double blast to kill them. Them getting closer when they 'flee' is als an issue...wwhich is why you stay in the vehicles, and drive sideways. Yriel can mop up a whole squad alone. :)

Unknown said...

Also I had an issue with a troop heavy guard army with only 2 tanks, because they had more AT than I could deal with effectively in less than 3 or 4 turns. Hence why I thought Avengers with Bladestorm would tip things in my favour :)

TheKing Elessar said...

Hmmm. That kind of list will always be an issue for MechDar, due to the miniscule model count. Best bet for that is to refuse a flank, and possibly the center. Setting up second, as Eldar, is only not recommended if you run Eldrad. (Obviously there are other exceptions, lol)

If the Guard spread out, you can isolate part of the battle line. If they clump, you have a 60" range large blast, just waiting to happen. Three times. :)

I genuinely feel Eldar only really begin to peak at 1750, lower values are harsher on us than most other lists.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Yriel
155

6 Fire Dragons
Wave Serpent
-Bright Lance
-Spirit Stones
241

5 Dire Avengers
Wave Serpent
-Bright Lance
-Spirit Stones
205

5 Dire Avengers
Wave Serpent
-Bright Lance
-Spirit Stones
205

5 Dire Avengers
Wave Serpent
-Bright Lance
-Spirit Stones
205

6 Pathfinders
144

Fire Prism
115

Fire Prism
115

Fire Prism
115

total: 1500

let me know what you think :)

TheKing Elessar said...

Very sweet. Actually...If I played 1500, I think I'd use your list.

That's going up on the main page. :)

Phil said...

I am playing in a 1500 pointer comming up and i think this will be my list. very noice.

Disclaimer.

Primarily, a blog to discuss the Games Workshop system Warhammer 40k, though not exclusively so. All GW IP used without permission, no challenge intended.

Pretty much everything here is my opinion. If you don't like my opinion, you are welcomed to say so. If you don't like me, but like my opinion, feel free to say so. If you don't like me or my opinion, I don't need to hear it. Why even visit?