Saturday 8 August 2009

DrummerHolt, Eldar advice!

Hey I was wondering if you could help me with my Eldar list that I am working on. You seem to be one of the more knowledgeable Eldar players on here.
So here is what I my idea as the basic for the list:
1500pts
HQ1.
Farseers:
Runes of Warding, Spirit Stones, Jetbike, Doom, Fortune
Warlocks x7Jetbikes, Embolden, Enhance, x2 Destructors, x2 Singing Spears
2. Farseer
Spirit Stones, Guide, Fortune

Troops

1. Jetbike Squadronx6 Guard.
Jetbike, 2 w/ Shrunken Cannons
Warlock w/ Embolden, Singing Spears

2. Jetbike Squadronx3 Guard.
Jetbike, 1 w/ Shrunken Cannons
Warlock w/ Embolden, Singing Spears

3. Pathfinder x6

Heavy Support

1. Fire Prism

2. Fire Prism

3. Fire Prism w/ Star Engines

Thanks in advance!
And one more question... are you the same Elessar that comments on YTTH?

A good start. I've only played with JB list once, at 1500 against Orks. FYI, somkehow we both forgot that the min objectives for Seize Ground was 3, and played 2 (Epic Brain Fail, mostly by me, but he should really have picked up on it, I was clearly not fully alert at this stage.) - in the end he won, as I cocked up and placed my GJB unit 11" from a mobile Killa Kan, allowing him to contest, and he rolled a 6 for DifT on the other flank to prevent me Contesting his (the Kan contested mine) - The game was marred by his understanding some rules...differently...(I think we both know I'm the more Lawyerish, and was therefore right ;) ) and he got his 5th Turn while I did not, whereas in a Tourny, I wouldn't have allowed him to have a 5th if there was no time for me. ;) - He went first, obvs.
Shrunken Cannons is, I hope, an intersting typo. Otherwise, I sense a funny story, lol.
I am, of course, the Last Of the Dunedain, the One True King. So, uh, yeah, that's me on YTTH. You can also find me, as you know, on Dakka and Heresy. I have BaC, Warseer, Astronomicon, ATT, and BoLS Lounge accounts, although I suspect I'll be banned from the latter by the time this is published - if you're going to be a dick and remove my advertisement for my Blog from my signature, expect me to be a dick back. Morons.

Anyway, I've just done an in-depth look at Eldar for Mathew Wong, and a good deal of what I said to him applies to all lists. I therefore reference myself - with the following additionata.

A Singing Spear on a GJB Squad looks great, but I'm not convinced. If he's Embolden,l you'll probably only shoot the Cannon at targets the Spear can really damage. If you've Destructor, you'll probably only shoot the Cannnos at targets the Spear can hurt ;) ! - Basically, don't think of them as a-T, but a-I, which makes the Spear superfluous.

Embolden is vital for few Troops, especially ones it's so difficult to block LOS to, and whom form the bulk of your frontline units.

2 Farseers is great - but expensive. Not sure this is the best route either.

Note - this may seem altogether less Nerd Raaage than Mathew wong's review - this is because I did his first, and have now gotten most of it out of my system, I'm also a lot more tired, perhaps even drained. Things I call Fail are no less fail, just because I can't be bothered. :)

As I said in his (I may Copy/Paste that bit...) Destructor is a great option, but Doom vs Mind War is an interesting debate.

Aaaanyway, drop Doom. Replacing the 2nd Seer gives you a full size Council, which is better. Alternatively, split it into 2.
So, Saim-Hann (pronounced Sam-Hine, for those of you who remain ignorant of this fact :P) inspired list @1500, coming up!


HQ:

Farseer:
Eldar Jetbike, Witchblade, Shuriken Pistol, Spirit Stones, Fortune, Mind War, Ghosthelm, Runes of Witnessing, Runes of Warding, Rune Armour. - 180

10 Warlocks:
Eldar JetBike, WitchBlade, Shuriken Pistol, 1x Embolden, 1x Enhance, 7x Destructor. -540


TROOPS:

6 Guardian JetBikes:2 Shuriken Cannons. - 152
6 Guardian JetBikes:2 Shuriken Cannons. - 152
6 Guardian JetBikes:2 Shuriken Cannons. - 152

HEAVY SUPPORT:

Faolchu:Bright Lance, Shuriken Cannon, Pulse Laser - 155
Faolchu:Bright Lance, Shuriken Cannon, Pulse Laser - 155


Falcons add some desperately necessary long-range anti-tank. A-I you're okay. No Dragons means the Council have to take out the trash themselves. At 1500, this list is uncompetitive, yet I can't really see much that I can fix. Going down to 2 Troops, por smaller ones, frees up points, after dropping Falcons, for a second, undersized, Council.

Not Competitive, but okay. Sorry. Maybe I'll come up with better, but the lack of Fire Dragons is cringe-worthy. :)

3 comments:

Raptor1313 said...

Elessar,

Respectfully, can I suggest you come back to this one and do a little copy-editing to clean up the typos and formatting? No offense, but I can see your fatigue in the typos and such, as it's not your norm.

That aside, I think 7x Destructor might be a bit excessive, and you could probably get 20-30 points back out of the Council. Or, maybe grab a couple singing spears for the council for wound-allocation games and perhaps to give them a little more anti-tank shooting. Spears in a council shouldn't be your ONLY anti-tank, but in this small list, I think it'd help.

Then again, I usually run Doom in my Seer Councils, so I wouldn't know how many more Destructors you want to make up for it.

Do you think Rangers as home objective-sitters in this kind of a list would be worth it? You play keep-away from Flamers and go to ground whenever fired on. Then you cry if someone has ignores-cover shells and can get a shot at you.

That is definitely not how I'd run Falcons, but in this list, it's at least SOME anti-tank.

I agree with you on the Jetbike Warlocks for powers, as well. I mean, the only REAL guns the Jetbikes have are the Shuriken cannons; if you're bringing them in to blowtorch something with destructor (and also bring the twin-linked shuriken catapults into play) then you're 100% confident they won't be around next turn, because otherwise they WILL mess you up in melee. I think Embolden is where it's at, since you can't get better than Ld 8 on biker boys.

Double Council at this points level...probably runs the risk of either totally stomping on someone, or totally flubbing. If they can handle the councils, you lose, and if not? You win.

TheKing Elessar said...

Will do. :)
Net access is intermittent at the mo, on holiday, so I'll get to it, eventually...

TheKing Elessar said...

That's a lot better. Looking at it sober was a real wake-up call to the sloppy standard. lol

Disclaimer.

Primarily, a blog to discuss the Games Workshop system Warhammer 40k, though not exclusively so. All GW IP used without permission, no challenge intended.

Pretty much everything here is my opinion. If you don't like my opinion, you are welcomed to say so. If you don't like me, but like my opinion, feel free to say so. If you don't like me or my opinion, I don't need to hear it. Why even visit?