Saturday 8 August 2009

Fearspect's Sally Army

I just emailed Stelek about the same thing, but wondering your opinion:

I have a tourney coming up in a bit at 1700 points. They split it into two groups, the fluffly/sportsmanship part and the playing 40k part, but I am having a hard time making a hard as nails Salamanders list.

Got any suggestions? I can fit something like 2x LRC, 2x Assault Terminators, 2x Tac in Rhino, 2x MM/HF Speeder for those points, but does that seem a bit low?

How would you stack it? I am pretty sure I can't make Vulkan bikers work at those points.

So I have thought about it a bit, and these are the best two I can come up with (Vulkan, no bikes, 1700 points):

Same Core for both:

Vulkan 190

5 TH/SS Terminators w/ LRC MM, EA 475

10x Tactical (Flamer, MM, Rhino) 205

10x Tactical (Flamer, MM, Rhino) 205

2x MM/HF Land Speeder 140

Now, the question of what to do with the last 500-ish points, either

a) Another 5 TH/SS Terminators w/ LRC MM, EA
-This will make it redundant, more than one Crusader is a happy Crusader

or;

b) 2x Vindicator Tanks, 2x Dreadnought w/ HF/MM
-More flexible, I kind of like this, but it leaves that one crusader alone (albeit by adding four cannot-ignore threats).

Thoughts? Or a completely new direction?

-Fearspect

I just thought of a more hilarious list:

Vulkan

5 TH/SS Terminators
LRR /w MM, EA

2x 10 Tactica (Flamer MM)

2x LRC w/ MM, EA

2x Landspeeder w/ HF/MM

Considering what most people bring to tournaments, maybe landraider spam could have hilarious results...

I don't think Stelek will post my email up :(

Thoughts?

I had a problem working with this list. I started out on the same premise as yourself, but whatever way I twisted it with Vulkan inside, I couldn’t get a list that satisfied me. 1700 is a fucking weird total man, and I don’t like it one bit! J

If, by some fluke, you get it increased to 1750, use the following:

Vulkan
2x HF/MM Speeders
2 x Tac Rhino Squads (F/MM)
2x Dakka Dread
2x LRC
2x TH/SS Squads

Otherwise…

The most balanced list I could devise was this:

Master of the Forge:
Conversion Beamer - 120

2x Dreadnought:
[COUNT AS HEAVY SUPPORT] Multi-Melta, Stormbolter, DCCW. - (2x105) 210

3x Dreadnought:
2xTwin-Linked Autocannons. - (3x125) 375

2x Tactical Squad:
Flamer, Multi-Melta, Rhino. - (2x205) 410

5 Scouts
Sniper Rifles, Camo Cloaks, Missile Launcher, Sgt. Telion. - 150

2x Land Speeder:
Heavy Flamer, Multi-Melta. - 140

2x Land Speeder:
Heavy Flamer, Multi-Melta. - 140

3x Land Speeder:
Heavy Flamer, Multi-Melta. - 210

[At this point, 180 points remain. So near, and yet so far from including Vulkan. It’d be entirely feasible, however, to drop a lone weapon for a Speeder to generate the required points. Instead, I’ve plumped for the following…]

Dreadnought:
Multi-Melta, Heavy Flamer, Extra Armour. - 130

+Extra Armour on MM Dreads - 30

+ Heavy Flamers on MM Dreads - 20

TOTAL: 1700.


I don’t like not having Vulkan, especially since that’s what you asked…but, Stelek also posted you a list, although I haven’t checked it out yet as I type this, so I imagine he’ll have a viable alternative that features the Forgefather.

Probably using Preds over Dreads. If only you could take MM or Autocannon Razorbacks…L
Taking only one LR is impossible, as they need to be wielded in pairs to ensure they deliver at least one payload of doom. While you can luck out and hit a player that doesn’t use anything that can reliably down you, such as an Ork army or Tyranids, you can equally (well…almost as likely) hit a Tau player, who will simply dominate the game against a LR heavy army, due to that extra punch the Railgun has.

Your list with 3LRs would almost certainly have been able to deliver against most lists, but there’s absolutely no way to describe that as balanced :p and in true egg-basket style it could suffer horribly in a bad match-up. Balanced lists downplay the importance of bad match-ups to the point where hopefully you can still get a win relatively easily if you are the better player. J

The other problem with that list is that, once you do get into the enemy’s face, you haven’t got the TH/SS to see you through, the Tacs will get beaten and discarded, not least because they couldn’t even lay down supporting fire on the way in with the lack of Fire Points. This oft overlooked factor is a part of the reason I will almost never recommend people choose a Redeemer in place of a Crusader.

The first list you proposed needs the 2nd LRC for the redundancy, and certainly packs a hefty punch - the problem with it is that it’s quite one-dimensional - outside of CC you have virtually no chance of the TH/SS achieving anything at all, and that’s a 400 point investment you can’t really afford to use merely as a threat. The alternative, with the Vindis, is certainly more balanced, and adds more threats to force the opponent to get their target priority exactly right, which is a great thing, except that it leaves just the one Crusader, making the first target on their list pretty easy to identify…

Overall, not a easy task to try and create a balanced list at 1700 that isn’t basically a straight rip of Stelek’s Best Of Marines - and there’s good reason for this.

Let me know how you get on!

4 comments:

Raptor1313 said...

I agree with the '2-or-0' assessment on Crusaders. Bring backup for everything, and it applies to LRCs as well.

Even so, if someone brings enough melta, then they can handle the LRCs.

I would ALWAYS, though, go Crusader over Redeemer. You can engage people at a better range, and you can actually get multiple rounds of fire off. I mean, Ooh, Ahh, you got an S6, AP3 flamer off. ok. That does kill things. But, you have to be pretty much to the point of firing off your Terminators at a target when you do so.

I've actually run a similar list, and it was:
Vulkan
2x5 TH/SS Termies
2 Land Raider Crusaders w/ pintle MM (one as dedicated transport)
2 Flamer/ML Tac squads w/ HB Razorbacks
2 MM/HF Speeders
2 Dakka Preds

for 1850.

Did reasonably well, 'til I met triple-raider Space Wolves, got the first multi-melta shots in, and proceeded to rull horribly sub-average on penetration rolls, and he didn't.

If someone CAN handle the Raiders, though, you lose. Then again, if someone doesnt' bring the requisite melta/rail guns, you're in amazing shape.

Never will get why people bitch about armies that they have the capacity to counter (but don't.)

Fearspect said...

Well, it is not an ideal force, but this is what I am currently practicing with:

Vulkan

5x TH/SS Terminators
LRC w/ MM, EA

2x Dreads (MM, HF)

2x Tactical (Flamer, MM, Rhino)

2x Vindicator

2x Landspeeder (MM, HF)

The thing is this, first, it is all models I currently own (and I like to buy little bits off different sites, the 2nd LRC + Termies will take a month just to arrive shipped).

Second, I think, by looking around at the type of armies people bring in my area, that this is honestly leaps and bounds above them in competitiveness. When a friend was assessing this list, he said his priorities were Landspeeders first, Vindicators second. Another pointed to the LRC for first.

I think the point is that this list is completely filled with "Cannot Ignore" targets, whereas with two LRC, there really are only two targets.

I have a month of playtesting to do, so that will help me tailor it some more (2nd Landraider and termie bits will be in by then. I'll let you know how it goes.

But you see? It is a completely bizarre points value to fill. Much easier with other armies, I think (mech eldar), but with Vulkan? Not so hot.

Raptor1313 said...

Actually, the speeders ARE legitimately deadly. Twin-linked tank-murder + infantry death on a fast package? Then again, if the enemy wants to splat those? It's not a lot you can do to keep them alive. AV10 and all. It's the threat value.

Still, I'd try to drop the Raider first.

The Vindy? Cover hurts its effectiveness against infantry, but there's just a hell of a psychological impact in throwing S10 AP2 large blast shells at folks, especially with Ordnance in the mix. Think AV14 protects you from that? Not as much. (Vehicle damage chart on the other hand...)

Double Crusaders is a bit more 'eggs in a basket', but it's very nasty eggs and very hefty baskets. When you get down to it, there are very few weapons that really threaten AV14 in the game:

Rail Guns
-Tau only. Yeah, these are a problem. No two ways about it.

Bright Lances
-Seen only on those happy little Eldar. Still, Bright Lances are more threat than effect.

Melta
Must be delivered in close. This is your challenge to deal with.

The Vindicators have the AV13 fronts, but still have the vulnerable flanks.

Plus, solo Land Raider = I stop it, I stop your assault element.

but, again, depending on your area, you can get away with some stuff, and you'd know that better than one out of it.

TheKing Elessar said...

Dark Lances are ostensibly a more potent threat, but from what you've said there Fearspect, it'd be you, if anyone, running them. As an Eldar player, I's shoot your Speeders first, as nothing else would be able to Double Dice me. Ever. ;)

Disclaimer.

Primarily, a blog to discuss the Games Workshop system Warhammer 40k, though not exclusively so. All GW IP used without permission, no challenge intended.

Pretty much everything here is my opinion. If you don't like my opinion, you are welcomed to say so. If you don't like me, but like my opinion, feel free to say so. If you don't like me or my opinion, I don't need to hear it. Why even visit?