Sunday 14 March 2010

Initial impressions on Blood Angels

HQs:

Mainly overcosted. Frankly, I spent little time in this section. Someone else's opinion here is what you should go for - although when I next get a look, I'll let you know.


Elites:

Librarian Dreads are all the rage online atm. I'm not convinced, they may turn out a little pricey for me. Again, I kinda glossed over a bit of this, I had limited time with the book, and, as a conversion-lover, the Stormraven was my main port of call.
Frag Cannons made me lawl though.
Sanguiniary Guard aren't anything to write here about though. Mediocre at best.
Sternguard seemed to be a Copy/paste job...except Combat Tactics.
TH/SS NOT a free upgrade for Ass Termies.

Troops:

Assault Marines look like the best option here - 10 guys, 2 Meltaguns, Fast Rhino - 225 points. Problems;
a) No Combat Tactics, a Fist may be required. Sigh. How backward.
b) Clearly an offensive unit. Now, I like to win in assault as much as the next guy, but I don't like throwing Troops at Land Raiders, and I don't like feeling it's a waste when I sit on my arse at an objective. Thanks Capture and Control.

Tacticals:
Clearly answer the second point above. Again though, no Combat Tactics makes them a bit...well, when I get to write a list, maybe they'll come out better than I think right now. Paying that premium for their pillbox is unappealing though. :(

Death Company:
Can't Score, 15 points extra for a Jump pack. STFU GW. What a piece of overpriced piss they're likely to wind up being...I haven't checked all the options - maybe they get something stupid, other than the Relentless USR. I didn't see Rending in there though. Clearly not ideal...maybe they get free Transports? Beh...Base cost per guy is good, but I don't think that's going to save them. Happy to be wrong though.

DC Dreadnought:
Well, it's a Dreadnought - so it can't score. Looks pretty munchtastic, but no scoring = sad face. Certainly worth considering, but the base cost of essentials is higher here than C:SM, so you may not be able to squeeze them in.

Fast Attack:

Land Speeders;
Copy/Paste job again. Just as well, you need Multi-meltas somewhere.

Baal Predators;
Scary ass shit. Scouts, Flamestorm Cannon or TL AssCan... HB or HF Sponsons...Fast, obvs. A little pricey (basic cost same as Fire Prism) but pretty tasty overall. Will see a ton of play. Not necessarily in top tier lists, but the new model will certainly sell. Competing with Land Speeders though makes it tricky. Baal Squadrons would have certainly been a killer bonus.


Heavy Support:

Stormraven;
It's not all that. Sure, it's very very nice, but it costs like a Terminator Squad, and the missiles, while AP1, aren't unlimited range, and are one-shot. Option to replace free TLAssCan with TLMM is sweet, and Crusader Sponsons nice if pricey. Certainly not going to be in many lists x3. Being an Assault Vehicle is great, especially for the Jump Infantry you CAN carry. And drop after moving Flat Out. Hoorah!

Dreadnought;
Yep, Heavy Support. As a trade-off, Riflemen are SLIGHTLY cheaper. lol

Devastators;
If you want to play 4th Ed with your friends, this is incredible. For those of us not mired in the past, this is still a nice change, but not enough to challenge the supremacy of moving pillboxes. All the same, paying 5 points less than SM Devvys (ML, MM, HB) - or 10 less on the other options is an excellent move by GW. Let's just hope it doesn't become ridiculous in 6th, hmmm?
They're still not quite playable, but they're closer.

Land Raider:
Psyche. It's not here - it's only in the Dedicated Transports section. Page 91. ;)

Vindicator;
20 points to make it Fast is a little much in my mind. It's not like it gets sponsons now. Or free Extra Armour. AFAIK.

Predator;
Sweet Stalin yes! My tanks, your face. Fun times are to be had with this. Time for the 'scalpel' army of the Imperium to actually Blitzkrieg. Only problem is competing with the Rifleman. :(



Descent of Angels is fine and dandy - and for an army themed around it, probably awesome. Seems to me though that it's better not to Jump Pack though, this IS the Age of Mech.
Lack of Combat Tactics mean when you go in, you have to go in hard, and come out on top. There doesn't seem to be any leeway there.

Finally, biggest WTF about the Dex is having to pay a fucking point for a Searchlight. What? Why?

9 comments:

Chumbalaya said...

I wasn't all that excited about BA until I actually had it in my hands. Fast Baals, fast Preds, and FNP/FC all over the place, fucking awesome!

For HQs, I quite like the Librarian. Same cost as the SM version and he gets some very useful powers, in particular 5+ cover for everything within 6" (vehicles too), Preferred Enemy for him and his unit, and the 4D6" S8 AP1 lance (like jaws, it hits everything it touches, no sniping though). He's got the requisite hood and since you can dole out the furious charge like candy, he might actually get to use his force weapon!

DC are fail, Sang Guard are fail, Tac bunkers are fail, Stormravens I'm on the fence over, Devastators are slightly less fail.

Besides the fast Preds (AC/LC sponsons is actually good now!), I'm a huge fan of the Sanguinary High Priests. Pick up 3 per Elites slot, 50 points each, ICs that give out FNP and furious charge to every unit within 6"! Holy shit! Play your cards right and your entire army gets those buffs all the time. Problem of course is that they're ICs, have 1 wound, come naked (options are standard price) and have no invul save beyond terminator armor.

Descent of Angels makes jump packing DS viable. Scatter only D6", re-roll reserves, and the addition of melta to every unit? With FNP and Furious Charge? Fuck yes, I'm in.

TheKing Elessar said...

Still can't DSA, unless I missed that one in there somewhere. That Lance is awesome though - it ignores friendlies, but keeps travelling! Still, I'd rather it was 18" than 4d6. Simplicity.

Chumbalaya said...

DSA? I am confus

TheKing Elessar said...

Deep Strike Assault. :)

Chumbalaya said...

Ah, gotcha. They can't assault on landing (Vanguard are cheaper though :P), but they've all got jump packs and melta, unlike most Drop Podders, in addition to not being forced to drop turn 1 and the whole re-roll reserves thing.

At 2000, you could do dees:
2 Libbies w/ supah lance, cover, or preferred enemy
2 Honor Guard w/ dual melta, dual flamer
4 Assault Squads w/ dual melta, combi-flamer (or melta), powerfist
2 Vanguard squads (lol) w/ 3 single LCs

You control your reserving, drop stuff near the HG (free SHP woot) and have Vanguard just to dick with people. Everything is melty, infantry killy, and mobile.

TheKing Elessar said...

Hmmm. That isn't too bad, and kinda gets around the whole 'no range' aspect. Interesting.

SandWyrm said...

Got to page through the new Dex at the local shop right after they opened the black box on Sat.

It's a fun looking Dex, but not too cheesy. Rather like the new Nid Dex really in terms of power. Some nice gear/combos, nice modeling opportunities. But some things are pretty darn over-costed.

Noticed a typo right away. The Stormraven is listed in the army list section as being able to carry a squad -or- a Dred. While the description section says it can take both at the same time. Thanks GW!

TheKing Elessar said...

I thought that, but didn't comment as tha intarwebz are all the rage about carrying both. I don't get how it could possibly break the 'transport one unit' rule...

Unknown said...

Looking forward to this coming out. I think mass dreadnoughts in pods would be nice, though I'd be more tempted to tank land speeders over the baal pred's.

Disclaimer.

Primarily, a blog to discuss the Games Workshop system Warhammer 40k, though not exclusively so. All GW IP used without permission, no challenge intended.

Pretty much everything here is my opinion. If you don't like my opinion, you are welcomed to say so. If you don't like me, but like my opinion, feel free to say so. If you don't like me or my opinion, I don't need to hear it. Why even visit?