Wednesday 12 May 2010

Bob asked...

"Do you think a close combat squad with avatar backup would've held your objective or even made Jonny65's rush to your objective come later in the game?"


Well.  This is a tactic I've seen you use with some success at Slayers, and certainly find it an interesting and novel use of the Fearless Bubble the Avatar projects...I literally never even thought of the idea.  He also compensates for the main weakness of Pathfinders, the fact that they roll over in CC (being an MC, not ideal to CC him, after all...) and Flamers (uh- Molten Body! lmao!)


So, overall, it seems like a reasonable tactic.  However, I remain unconvinced, for a couple reasons -

  • The Avatar really isn't that hard to kill, sadly. - If the enemy has LOS, he's pretty much gonna go down in a hail of bullets.  I'm thinking Autocannon, in particular.  Though, since Joe inexplicably refuses to use enough anti-tank weapons (:p) despite me telling him every week, he's not the best example...imagine facing a couple Vendettas - they have the mobility to always be able to shoot you, and the guns to tear you apart in one round.
  • Feels like a waste - You have a 5-man Pathfinder squad...sure, they Score...but they cost 120 points, plus the Avatar...another 2 Vypers cost the same as the Pathfinders.  Another Serpent with Lance/SCannon and a DAVU costs 205.  
  • The Pathfinders are still fragile, and vulnerable to things that ignore Cover.  Rob's IG, for example, can spit Flamers at you from 12" away with 3 HellHounds.  Several of the guys can DS Flamers next to you - if they trade a tank/small squad for your Troops, then it won't matter when the Avatar kills them.  Especially if he has to come out into the open to do so.
  • Restrictive - It pretty much eliminates the option for Infiltration, Outflanking, or even a Scout move if the Avatar of the Bloody Handed God is required to babysit.
I like Pathfinders, and found they didn't get shot at very much last year at Q-Con - most shots at them were from frustrated enemy units unable to scratch my AV12 hulls.  I think that the main reason most opponents at TTN/Slayers even shoot your Pathfinders is because their lists are unable to deal very well with fully mechanized forces, and you present them an easy target. lol

I'd really love to see your army try an additional Wave Serpent instead.  Or, better yet - drop the Holo-Fields on your Prism, and use 3 Prisms.

That totally isn't just because I would love to see Joe's face... ;)

Thanks for commenting on the blog! :)

2 comments:

Drunkbobnopants said...

3 Prisms is the plan but I was waiting to see the new kit. Which I like. That was the first time using that combination on Tuesday and did what it was suppose to.

Keep the Pathfinders from running away long enough to drop the command squad. After that other things became the threat (like the banshee bomb attacking a 40 man infantry unit that was doomed...)

After round 2 the pathfinders became useless.

I was thinking more along the lines of maybe Storm guardians, enhanced warlock and an avatar. I find Banshees and Scorpions depend really on the type of army being faced. I lean towards the banshees because of the power weapons.

I've been reading the blog for a while. Keep up the good work.

Bob

TheKing Elessar said...

Thanks!
Well, I think Stormies would ofc work pretty well vs Joe's blob - dual Flamers FTW. Even the Fusions would make a nice threat, since he always deploys the same a neat pincer could be implemented. lol

I forgot to say - against Jonny I don't think the Avatar would have been too great based on the fact that 2 DPs would have torn him asunder...and that would bring back unpleasant memories for my Eldar...

Disclaimer.

Primarily, a blog to discuss the Games Workshop system Warhammer 40k, though not exclusively so. All GW IP used without permission, no challenge intended.

Pretty much everything here is my opinion. If you don't like my opinion, you are welcomed to say so. If you don't like me, but like my opinion, feel free to say so. If you don't like me or my opinion, I don't need to hear it. Why even visit?