Tuesday 27 July 2010

Alpha Legion: More Sternguard lists...

I really meant to do this about three days after the last one...but I got distracted.  To make things worse, my SM Codex is AWOL, and, although I think I know where it is, I can't get it for several hours, and really want to get on with this, especially given the three day delay in posts (though, on the other hand, I like to space my posts out a bit since most of you don't read every day...)


Anyway, here are three BA variants - admittedly, i don't think BA fit the Alpha Legion as well as the other Codexes - I can't see Legionnaires losing their temper is ways that could be fluffily compared to Red Thirst...but I suppose they could always be pretending to BE Blood Angels as some nefarious scheme to discredit the Chapter...

BAlpha Drop List...

Librarian;
Blood Lance, Fear of the Darkness - 100


Librarian;
Blood Lance, Fear of the Darkness - 100

Sternguard;
5 Combi-Meltas, Drop Pod [Locator Beacon] - 195

Sternguard;
5 Combi-Meltas, Drop Pod [Locator Beacon] - 195

Sanguinary Priests;
Sang Priest: Combi-Melta
Sang Priest: Combi-Melta.  - 120

Assault Squad;
+5 men, 2 Meltaguns, Infernus pistol, Power Fist, Drop Pod - 250

Assault Squad;
+5 men, 2 Meltaguns, Infernus pistol, Power Fist, Drop Pod - 250

Assault Squad;
+5 men, 2 Meltaguns, Infernus pistol, Power Fist, Drop Pod - 250

Land Speeder Squadron;
Land Speeder: Heavy Flamer, Multi-Melta
Land Speeder: Heavy Flamer, Multi-Melta - 140

Land Speeder Squadron;
Land Speeder: Heavy Flamer, Multi-Melta
Land Speeder: Heavy Flamer, Multi-Melta - 140

NOTE: That's 1740, and I quite like that, tbh.  Not awesome, but decent.  Certainly better than most Drop Lists!

Honour Guard:
Drop Pod [Locator Beacon] 3 Meltaguns, 2 Flamers, 3 Storm Shields.  - 260

Now, I KNOW, even number of Drop Pods.  I dunno, I figured the HG were kinda worth it?  Remember, you still have the other reserve rolls anyway, so it's not a HUGE deal, and it gives you three real beater units Turn one instead of two beaters and a RAS. Ideally, it would have had a ten-strong DC and 2 DC Dreads...but *shrug*.

Okay, now the same Codex, but in Fast Rhinos.

Assault Squad;
+5 men, 2 Meltaguns, Infernus pistol, Power Fist, Rhino - 265

Assault Squad;
+5 men, 2 Meltaguns, Infernus pistol, Power Fist, Rhino - 265

Assault Squad;
+5 men, 2 Meltaguns, Infernus pistol, Power Fist, Rhino - 265

Assault Squad;
+5 men, 2 Meltaguns, Infernus pistol, Power Fist, Rhino - 265

Pretty much the same Troops.  No choice, tbh.

Next, two Stern units, same as above, but we only need 4 Meltas.

Sternguard;
4 Combi-Meltas, Rhino - 195

Sternguard;
4 Combi-Meltas, Rhino - 195

No need for Chalices this time...even though Corby could've been great without that nerf.  :(

We have no ranged support, though we already have 6 Fast Rhinos.  Let's get some Devs.  They aren't Fangs, but they will have to do.

10 Devastators;
4 Missile Launchers - 210

10 Devastators;
4 Missile Launchers - 210

We can't afford another, sadly.  So, HQ...we have 130 points, and that equals...

Captain; Thunder Hammer - 130

Nah, just kidding.

Librarian [Shield of Sanguinius, Blood Lance] - 100

So let's go back and equip those Sternguard (who have nothing extra) with Heavy Flamers, as we have no Templates in the list.  Spare points may as well go to Searchlights.

Finally, a Razor variant allows us to get those much desired Flamers into the list, but of course there are several other Razorback turrets arguably as good, if not even better!  As a result, we need to provide some nifty supporting fire with this list.  There are really three ways to do it - Devs in Rhinos, though only 2 can shot out, Auto-Las Preds, and Typhoons.  Ideally, we will use more than one of these - so let's try for 2 Auto-Las, and 3 solo Typhoons.

Land Speeder Squadron:
Land Speeder Typhoon - 90

Land Speeder Squadron:
Land Speeder Typhoon - 90

Land Speeder Squadron:
Land Speeder Typhoon - 90

Predator;
Autocannon, Lascannons - 135

Predator;
Autocannon, Lascannons - 135

Okay, so now we go for the Troops...

Assault Squad;
Meltagun, Infernus Pistol, Razorback [Heavy Flamer] - 145

Assault Squad;
Meltagun, Infernus Pistol, Razorback [Heavy Flamer] - 145

Assault Squad;
Meltagun, Infernus Pistol, Razorback [Heavy Flamer] - 145

Assault Squad;
Meltagun, Infernus Pistol, Razorback [Heavy Flamer] - 145

We need a little more fire support, I think, but are all-but out of heavy slots...Sternguard!

Sternguard;
2 Multi-Meltas, Rhino - 185

Sternguard;
2 Multi-Meltas, Rhino - 185

Sternguard;
2 Multi-Meltas, Rhino - 185

I WAS going to go for the conventional dual-Missile out the top hatch shenanigans - but then I figured that dual-melta bunkers would be tremendous.  So good, in fact, that there might as well be a fourth...

Devastator Squad;
2 Multi-Meltas, Rhino - 160

Much more cost-effective, too - though the Sternguard also have the opportunity to fire Hellfire or Kraken out the top (or one of the shit ammo types...)  Somehow, without any conscious effort on my part, this list is exactly 1750 this far - and now it's time for HQ, having used everything but them and 2 Troops choices.

Librarian [Shield of Sanguinius, AN. OTHER*] - 100

Take two of those bad boys, add a sprinkling of H-K Missiles (the Sternguard Rhinos and the Preds, IMO) or put some Combi-Flamers in the Sternguard, and Combi-weapons on the Libbies (who ride with the Devs, most likely) and it's a wrap.  A very tasty wrap, with exotic sounding ingredients, and at just that perfect temperature where it's nice and hot but not burning the tongue.

* - This could really be any power - you WANT Living Lightning, of course, but it's not an option...I think I'd have FotD to be honest.  The 24" range would be the kicker - though the average of 4d6 MAY be enough for you to warrant Lance, it wouldn't work with my dice.  :-(

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I am really a fan of that last one. We all know how effective tactical squads with multimeltas are at midfield control, and you take that to a whole knew level by upping the number multimeltas, and putting them into fast vehicles. You also have that nice fire support with the typhoons and predators.


I just get really worried about your only forward element in the army is your scoring units... /:

and sorry to prod, but how quickly do you usually reply to emails? I sent one a few days ago, and was just wondering if I should continue to obsessive compulsively check everyday. lol

Unknown said...

Perhaps the Alpha Legion are just really hot headed or maybe some of them have ginger hair? :P

Thud said...

I really like the last one as well.

Any thoughts on how to make those HF Razorbacks, or just suck it up and buy Immolators?

TheKing Elessar said...

@Tyler - My plan is to type it up on Sunday. Well, technically, it's to type it up BEFORE Sunday, but I know what I'm like. :(

If I get time, I will type it today before football - but even then I won't set it to post before Thursday. :)

@Thud - Nah, suck it up! To be honest, I prefer the Immolator hull piece, and would use it for a number of conversions, especially Baals with Flamestorms. Failing that, I would think Sentinel HFs would be the best bet?

@Mercer - the Ginger Legion are descendants of the Space Wolves that got wiped out in M37. Sent to quell a Daemonic Incursion in the Antigone system, they were caught in a warp storm and annihilated. There is no evidence the Eldar were involved.

Stelek said...

Hmmm. Part of why I dodged multi-melta bunkers (not that they are bad mind you) is you really need lots of vehicles to make Razorspam work, or you need a solid second wave that's threatening as much as the Razorspam is (like Terminators).

Without either, as this list has, I don't see you being able to go hunting with your troops choices--having other units you can throw away and still keep a couple troops to score objectives, is why I have sternguard in my list. Their job is to smash face along with the troops. In other words, the Sternguard get out before the assault squads do--and die first. ;)

TheKing Elessar said...

That was the guiding principle behind the first two list, but I reckoned that the opportunity to fill up on double MM bunkers was too good a one to miss - especially given I've never seen anyone try it. lol

I was hoping that the MMs would compensate in a way that MLs would not be able to...perhaps JPs on the Libbies would allow them to go hunting, but then they need Sword...

Disclaimer.

Primarily, a blog to discuss the Games Workshop system Warhammer 40k, though not exclusively so. All GW IP used without permission, no challenge intended.

Pretty much everything here is my opinion. If you don't like my opinion, you are welcomed to say so. If you don't like me, but like my opinion, feel free to say so. If you don't like me or my opinion, I don't need to hear it. Why even visit?