Saturday 17 July 2010

Alpha Legion Part Two

Okay so, further thoughts - the Alpha Legion are very mission-focused - the individuals are irrelevant.  Y'know, like any proper armed force.

PROTIP: If a newspaper has a red banner, and lauds everyone and anyone as a 'hero', it diminishes the term, greatly.

Anyway...


So, with that in mind, an Alpha Legion list made up entirely of scoring units? Well, there are two ways to do this.  Firstly, we take the SW Dex again, and use Grey Hunters, Wolf Guard, and Logan - but no-one paid any credence to my last SW post...

Secondly, we could Vote for Pedro, and use Sternguard.  Let's try that approach.  Is this list going to be all that creative, or original? No.  But, it DOES have the advantage of pretty much being identical to one I have actually used.  It's really self-explanatory, so I'm not going to bother.

Pedro KantCan't he? why on earth not? I certainly could - and I'm not even a Chapter Master like he is!or;
Funky Fist, other junk. - 175

10 Sternguard; Lighten up then! Don't start, no-one wants to read it!
2 Heavy Flamers, Power Fist, 8 Combi-Meltas, Drop Pod. - 370


10 Sternguard;
2 Heavy Flamers, Power Fist, 8 Combi-Meltas, Drop Pod. - 370

10 Sternguard;
2 Heavy Flamers, Power Fist, 8 Combi-Meltas, Drop Pod. - 370

10 Tacticals;
Multi-Melta, Flamer, Combi-Melta, Power Fist, Drop Pod. - 240

10 Tacticals;
Multi-Melta, Flamer, Combi-Melta, Power Fist, Drop Pod. - 240

Land Speeder Squadron;
MM/HF - 70

Land Speeder Squadron;
MM/HF - 70

Land Speeder Squadron;
MM/HF - 70

That's 1975, and leaves a little bit to be desired.  It's solid enough, but it's not exactly top-tier - it does get all fluffy on your ass though, so I like it.  Obviously, this could also be used to represent the fluff of several other Chapters, from the Crimson Fists to the Scythes of the Empra, from the Mentor Legion to the Fire Lords...Tons.  Anyway, thoughts/opinions/feedback/comments about the weather?

9 comments:

Zenos said...

I actually like this list a lot. It has the "taking it to them" right from deployment. The issue is ensuring that you get the pods where you want them. But it would force most lists to have to react, not be proactive against it. You certainly have enough firepower for mech anything. A horde force could tie you down too much with units however in CC.

Unknown said...

I think I might prefer this list in Rhinos. Whilst I don't generally like Sternguard in Rhinos/Rbacks, 6 or so in Rbacks backed up by Tacs in Rhinos should you net some more points for support stuff whilst still scaring your enemy with "omg scoring sternguard."

Could try BA codex as well? Then you can get Riflesupport Dreads but no scoring Sternguard.

Anonymous said...

I had a debate about this over on 3++ a little while back.

I'm not too keen on the melta heaviness load-out on the Sternguard. When you drop, I assume you're going to combat squad into a flamer team and a melta team or am I wrong from the start and one flamer will each join some melta-boys?. If you go for the first idea will the meltas with the heavy flamers not be a little wasted? They're not really going to be shot at anything the flamers shoot at so their roles become a little confused.

I think I would swap out 3 combi-meltas for 2 flamers and save some points. I do also like Kirby's idea of a rhino/razor-based list.

Venerable Brother said...

Vote for Pedro!
I lol'ed.

List? I quite like it, drop the sternies first? for 6 melta targets? or tacs for 4 then break the line with the sternguard? I guess its more fluffy to drop sternies first, and more tactically viable too.
The all-drop is certainly more effective than a smattering of pods.
In all rhino or razors could work too, leaving you not so immobile post-drop... But I like to see a podding army now and again...

Would you drop in the Speeders? I assume so? Dependent on cover as they bomb upfield I guess.

Cool. Pedro is not rated at all around me and I usually second that view, but this is cool.

ItsPug said...

The weather is shit.

As to the list do you not run the same problem as with all drop pod armies, once you touch down your mobility is gone and you've got no range?

Saying that though, if you're gonna stick with the drop style I'd drop the two heavy flamers and three combi-meltas in the sternguard squads for 5 combi-flamers. Drop in, combat squad, pop a transport with the combi meltas and roast the contents.

I'd also suggest dropping the multimeltas in the tac squads for missile launchers, upgrade the flamer to a meltagun and change the combi melta to a combi flamer. It gives you a bit more range, almost the same melta range (18" vs 24") and still gets you the bonus dice at 12". You are only (prob) going to use the flamer once and the meltagun more often which is why I suggest putting the flamer on the combi weapon.

Should leave you with 45 points to spend, might I suggest locator beacons on the sternguard drop pods (I assume you are dropping them in first) so you can bring down the tactical squads right onto the objectives with no fear of scatter? Also helps if your dropping in the speeders.

TheKing Elessar said...

Jason, part one is a little down the page - I will put a link in later, at work atm.
The next list is indeed Rhinos Kirbs,
thanks a lot for ruining it. :p
Gutted I forgot beacons. Duh.

Unknown said...

I really don't like those Sternguard. You're paying 9 points preimum for special ammo but getting a heavy flamer and a power fist. You can get combi flamers and keep your funky ammo and why you want to get in combat for when you should be shooting - yeah yeah walker monstrous creature boo hoo lol but use another unit to flatten :)

TheKing Elessar said...

Acohol. Blergh.

Heavy Flamers simply do much more damage to hordes/FootDar/Plaguebearers.

Pedro's +1A bubble makes CC a less awful thing, since my guys might only go into fights they will win.

Overall, it's a sad trade-off, Scoring with Pedro in exchange for the equally Alpha Legion-y Combat Tactics.

TheKing Elessar said...

The link to part one is put in, under 'my last SW post'

Disclaimer.

Primarily, a blog to discuss the Games Workshop system Warhammer 40k, though not exclusively so. All GW IP used without permission, no challenge intended.

Pretty much everything here is my opinion. If you don't like my opinion, you are welcomed to say so. If you don't like me, but like my opinion, feel free to say so. If you don't like me or my opinion, I don't need to hear it. Why even visit?