Tuesday 13 July 2010

A quickie before bed?

Just a short post here, to splat up a Dark Elf list I wrote this morning over breakfast.  Keep an eye out later in the night (ie, in 4 hours) when the Alpha Legion army list i just wrote gets posted to the blog.  Crap.  Actually, I need to edit it, so there is a full army list at the end.  Don't go anywhere, I'll be right back!



Okay, I'm back.  That was close, huh?  Almost looked like a tool...

Anyway, the list seems pretty self-explanatory to me.  2500, I have one decent block of Spears to get stabbed in the back by a Sorceress, and to hopefully hold and grind stuff that breaches my Hydra wall.

Lots of XBows, and the 4 RBTs that I understand are my limit now? How sucky.

I haven't finished my read-through of the 8e book yet (iffy PDF scans are annoying) but this is just a ball-park idea I was throwing out to myself over my cereal while debating the utility of Meltabombs on Wolf Scouts to myself.  I was also wondering about how many hot people would be in work, what colour shoes I should buy next, whether a Triceratops could beat an Ankylosaurus in a fight, and an Internet Fight I was having on Facebook.  Pretty sure I won, fyi.

So, the list.

Rather than tidy it up, I'll post it as I wrote it - cos that will display the thinking, so as to help you non-Fantasy n00b types see what kinda stuff appeals, and better target the advice. Or not.  Up to you, really.

24 Spears;
Full Command, Shields. - 183

2x RBT - 200

2x RBT - 200

Hydra - 175*

14 Repeater Crossbowmen - 140

14 Repeater Crossbowmen - 140
14 Repeater Crossbowmen - 140
14 Repeater Crossbowmen - 140


5 Dark Riders;
Full Command**, Repeater Crossbows - 145


5 Dark Riders;
Full Command**, Repeater Crossbows - 145

Supreme Sorceress;
Lvl4, Sacrificial Dagger, Tome of Furion - 300

Supreme Sorceress;
Lvl4, Focus Familiar, Pendant of Khaleth - 320

Assassin;
Extra hand Weapon, Manbane, Touch of Death - 151

Assassin;
Extra hand Weapon, Manbane, Touch of Death - 151

Assassins go in RXBows, probably.  Hadn't decided.  Also, I know how Lores now work - ie, pick at list - but haven't really studied the Colleges yet, and so hedged my bets.  Suggestions, ofc, welcome for this.

---------------------------------------------------

* - In hindsight, I realise I paid 100 points short for this, so actually, my total is not 2430, but 2530.  Suggestions for trimming, gratefully appreciated.

** - Also in hindsight, paying for a Full Command on 5 models that are there to break a lot of the time is stoopidity of the highest order.  I blame these guys.  








...


...

Oh, okay.  Really, more like her.

  Although, really...she's not a well-drawn Triceratops.  Looks more like a Styracosaurus.  Well...maybe that's just me.

6 comments:

TheKing Elessar said...

Grrr. Stupid Blogger, not allowing me to hide that post until later cos I accidentally told it to post yesterday morning, and by the time I edited it was too late. :(

Chumbalaya said...

Blogger hates you, but we <3 you.

Tome of Furion and Sac Dagger are both arcane items, so you get 1 or the other. The dagger in a unit of nekkid spearmen is very nice.

Lotsa dakka, but the lack of any real combat units concerns me. Hydra is a good call, as would some COKs (lol) or chariots.

Von said...

Trimming those expensive command groups off the Dark Riders would be a good start. I'd also suggest that you can drop the shields on the Warrior block, if they're only there to be Sacrificial Dagger fodder (I know mine have shields, but that's 'cause I don't have any without shields yet), and maybe trade out the Touch of Death on the Assassins for a Rune of Khaine (slightly cheaper, and I find the extra attacks on rank and file more use than Killing Blow).

Also, people keep throwing words like 'objective' and 'capture' and 'units with standards' around, and while I haven't read the rulebook fully yet and don't know where those words are coming from, it might be worth ensuring that some of your Crossbowmen units can capture these hypothetical objectives. Maybe shave all the units down a bit to pay for those? I'm not sure how you're planning on deploying them...

TheKing Elessar said...

Yeah, stupid mistake is stupid, lol. Arcane Items need trimmed to legality.

I haven't read the missions and have no concept of 'Objectives' - but I'm sure I will get there...or, Jive will get an article finished before I do, and I will learn there.

As regards Chariots - DE Chariots don't seem special or numerous enough to me? They seem fairly solid, but not as good as HE, and can't I only get two? I dunno, just feels lacking somehow.

I own a pile of COK (LMAO) so no bother getting those in, model-wise.

Shaving down to 48 total XBows means I won't need to buy more, which is a plus.

Shields exist because they seem a ridiculously cheap upgrade to me. Against S3 and 4 they are an incredible force multiplier to my survival. Since I won't want Miscasts, the Dagger is more insurance than a given.

Stelek said...

Going to bed.

It's crap.

When I get to DE, I'll show you what I think.

TheKing Elessar said...

Yeah, it is. lol

Disclaimer.

Primarily, a blog to discuss the Games Workshop system Warhammer 40k, though not exclusively so. All GW IP used without permission, no challenge intended.

Pretty much everything here is my opinion. If you don't like my opinion, you are welcomed to say so. If you don't like me, but like my opinion, feel free to say so. If you don't like me or my opinion, I don't need to hear it. Why even visit?