Friday 13 August 2010

It can be done




You know that guy at your local gaming club/shop/underground lair who keeps beating everyone? The guy who is seemingly invincible. With a rock hard list that you may or may not understand why is so damn good? I’m that guy.



Seriously. It’s gotten to the point where it’s just embarrassing. About half of the 30 or so active 40k players at my club, I don’t even play against because, frankly, there’s not much point.


Now, where am I going with this? Besides from turning into a prettier and more lovable version of Stelek, of course, and setting myself up for some severely embarrassing defeats when I’m moving to the Bay Area next week. Well, I’m not unbeatable. Far from it (well, down the street from it at least). My main opponent (you know who you are!) gives me a great deal of trouble on the tables. He even made the games against my Mechdar interesting with his Deathwing. Yes, the ones from the Dark Angels codex. And now that he’s started Nids (the cheesy git) it’s closer than ever. After all the games we’ve had against each other with these armies, it’s pretty much a dead heat, with me slightly on top after some seriously heroic dice rolling on my part and his chronic inability to damage anything with a holo-field.

So, what’s the deal? How am I tabling other Nid players in tournaments and at the club? Other Nid players who have played Nids for years and, after all, do reasonably well against other people?

It’s not very complicated at all, actually. It has to do with prejudice and being honest with yourself about what actually happens when you play and what you want from a game of 40k. In short, my friend and I have no prejudices and if something does not work, it gets binned. The other guys do pretty much the opposite. Also, we’re pretty clear on what we want from a game of 40k. Others, most of them at least, seem pretty schizophrenic* about all that jazz.

Let’s start at the beginning, shall we. About prejudices. As I’ve mentioned before I’m one of those Warseer types, but I’m also quite fond of using examples as tools of explaining my line of reasoning. So, I’m going to combine the two and use an example from Warseer. I started on my journey to become a competitive 40k player about a year and a half ago as I began building my Mechdar army. Knocking about forums I came across a lot of “established wisdom” as one is wont to do in forum-land. Specifically; Vypers suck pope balls**. Obviously, me being fucking brilliant, I wasn’t buying it. So I set out on a path that led to a rather long MS Word document detailing how awesomesauce Vypers really are (and in that I didn’t even touch on their greatest use of all; blocking).

This is a lot of what I see in the Nid players at my club (except my friend, of course, ‘cause he’s awesome and will be driving me to the airport on Tuesday, right? Right?). “Established wisdom” states that T-fexes are horribad. And even their own playtesting proves this; they’re plonking away at Land Raiders all game and nothing happens. Awful, awful unit! And overpriced! Goddamn Cruddace! What does my friend say? “Hey, hang on. Here’s a unit with long ranged fire power, outside of Elites, that’s good at taking out transports and it’s impossible to kill. Include this fella and my fire base increases its durability greatly, I gain some serious range, it’s another MC for when CC inevitably hits and along with other units in my army I get some serious T6 target saturation. Brilliant!”

So he’s at the club, doing his thing, and one of the Nid prodigies comes up and advises him to drop some of his six Hive Guards because “they die too quickly and are over-rated.” Fuck me.

And then there’s the mental health aspect of it all. What do you want from 40k? Do you want silly, fluff-bunny themed armies? Good for you, go for it, have a ball. But you won’t be winning many games unless the guys you play against are singing the same song. Do you want a competitive army that will give the likes of me a real run for their money? Good for you, go for it, have a ball. But you are going to have to accept the fact that you then have to build your army list accordingly. You can’t slap together an army that you utterly adore, but completely devoid of anti-tank and then whine when my Mechdar shits all over your face. You’re gonna have to go with one or the other. Hell, if you want a fluff-bunny lolfest of a game, just let me know and I’ll bring a list so bad it would give Stelek a seizure. But it won’t work unless you’re honest with yourself. Seriously, I’ll do it. But I’ve only been asked that once, and it was one hell of a great game***, and you going against my standard all-comers list, getting pasted, then whining about won’t do anyone any good.

If you by now think it’s obvious what I choose, think again. I choose both. Yeah, that’s right. But not at the same time. I have my competitive Mechdar army, and I have the army with twenty Wraithguard (and not much else) in 1500 points. But when my “I did it for teh lulz” army can keep up with your “competitive” army, you might want to reconsider just how good that army of yours really is. Just sayin’.

Anyway, I have a bad feeling this is turning into a bit of a rant, which it wasn’t really supposed to be, so I’m wrapping it up. Just try to be more open-minded if you keep getting trashed by that guy with the Mechdar. Analyze your army, find out what’s working and try to be honest with yourself in considering whether or not you are actually using your units to their fullest potential.



*Yes, I know schizophrenic isn’t what I actually mean here, but you try making an adjective out of multiple personality disorder.

**Taking the piss out of the pope. This is not sectarian, because I’m a die-hard Celtic fan and TKE, as I understand, is one of those Norn Iron types who insist on calling themselves British (if I’m wrong about this, I certainly won’t be opening my post for the next two years, so I hope I’m right). See how taking the piss makes us all come together in joyful harmony? It’s beautiful!

***It ended up being a draw, if you’re wondering.

13 comments:

Stormy said...

Aww, I thought it was TKE writing this article saying he was hot shit and I was going to say that I've been deposed as TO for Warpcon and I'm going to sodomise him so bad on the tabletop that the Orange men would try to march South to rescue him because they recognise the same sounds his hellion of a mam makes at the crazy sex parties they throw in the Lodges during Marching season.

I had a Nordie-specific joke that I'd been saving for AGES: Now that has to be thrown out. Fuck you Thud, you've shattered my dreams.

'See how taking the piss makes us all come together in joyful harmony? It’s beautiful!'
No it isn't. I hate Celtic and I'm Catholic (Cork City is my one and only for my sins). You'll burn boy, burn in the fires of hell! (I'll be there waiting for you because I'm a bad person so we can have some fun down there but lets' keep that on the QT).

Are you perma-gone to the Bay Area or back for Warpcon? Job security/hunting taking you out there?

T-Fexes: Bitch please. I was saying they were hot shit before Kirby did.

www.touchedbygreatness.blogspot.com

Thud said...

I'm going to the Bay Area for uni, and I'll be back in my safe European home around christmas.

I don't know what Warpcon is as I don't live in Britain. I might be talked into going there, though.

As for Cork, my only sports association with that lot is Meath crushing them in GAA some time in the mid-nineties (the first GAA match I saw).

Stormy said...

Warpcon = Cork i.e. not Britain. And its January which is normally College season so that's probably out.

Meath crushing Cork = very rare. Cork should win the All-Ireland this year as they play Dublin in the semi-final and Dublin are to GAA what England are to Soccer: completely overhyped by the meeja.

Thud said...

In Cork, huh? If I have money for it I'll be there. But after paying hilarious tuition fees, it's rather uncertain.

Stormy said...

Indeed. I have the choice of 30k Yankee fees, British fees of 15k or Irish fees of 5k for a Masters. I'm saving up for the last 2 years and I'll probably head to London but the difference is still staggering.

You can always get an add-on loan for 'education' and spend it in UCC. There's always a gaff to crash and free drink to be had. :) FFS if you're spending 5 figures on it you might as well enjoy some of it...

Death Korps of War said...

ok thud, im going to have to stop you there.

not everyone in "The North" considers themselves British. far, far from it. i live in the North and i've got an Irish Passport, as do many other people.

just saying, dont come to conclusions before you know the whole story :)

as for your post.....jesus what a rant...lol
tbh im one of those people who whine a lot at the table during, and after the game. but i always realise my mistakes, im just dumb enough to do them again...lol

Unknown said...

I enjoyed that read Thud. Though Hive Guard should be dropped!? Are the folk at your gaming club crackers? lol.

And as others said, Cork isn't in Britain - Cork is in the land of the potato.

TheKing Elessar said...

Excellent article. I thoroughly enjoyed it! Also, I love how my number of readers keeps going up even though I'm not writing articles... :S

Stormy said...

'Also, I love how my number of readers keeps going up even though I'm not writing article.'
That's the reason right there. :P

And Cork is one of the best places in the world to visit:
http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1103/lonelyplanet.html
You don't need a better excuse to come down here.

Thud said...

@Stormy: I'll look into it. You've actually got me pretty interested in attending.

@Mercer: That guy is living in his own special world of madness. ;)

@TKE: They're coming because of me! MEEEEEEE!

Iggy said...

Thud, if you DO make it to Cork sometime, I will make it my plan to ninja your brain for more mechDar madness!

Unknown said...

hey TKE, know how you were going on how you had more followers.

130>113.

Brag elsewhere!

And we will soon have a poll to PROVE the worth of T-Fexes. Prove I say!

TheKing Elessar said...

Brag elsewhere than my own fucking blog? I think you forget yourself, Captain Pink.

You will hear little argument about the utility of T-Fexes here, either.

Disclaimer.

Primarily, a blog to discuss the Games Workshop system Warhammer 40k, though not exclusively so. All GW IP used without permission, no challenge intended.

Pretty much everything here is my opinion. If you don't like my opinion, you are welcomed to say so. If you don't like me, but like my opinion, feel free to say so. If you don't like me or my opinion, I don't need to hear it. Why even visit?