Friday 6 August 2010

How To Convert A Renegade Guardsman

Hey all, ItsPug here!

Today I'll be doing a 'How to' on how I converted my renegade Imperial Guard regiment, the Verratian 3rd Infantry, who worship Khorne.

I used the IA6 Servants of Slaughter list to plan out my force and to get the character and then transferred what I could across to the Imperial Guard codex, the reason for this was that I get to play the majority of my games at tournaments, which unfortunately do not support IA rules or lists.



What You Will Need











Cadian Legs
Cadian Torso
Cadian Arms (Not shown as I used my autogun arms from a previous article)
Space Marine Large Ammo Pack
Space Marine Small Ammo Pack
2 Grenades
Necron Head
0.8mm Plastic Rod
Greenstuff

Step 1 - Torso and Webbing

Using a file carefully remove the pectorals and the aquila from the front of the torso leaving a flat plate. Remove the knob on the back of the armour. At this point you should attach the torso to the legs and attach the arms, your next step is to build up the webbing that the soldier carries into battle, the first stage requires you to place the small ammo pack against the belt on the rear of the miniature. Once this has set, glue the large ammo pack directly above it on the warrior's back and the grenades either side of the small ammo pack.





Step 2 - Head

I used a Necron head to represent a skull mask on my renegades, the first stage was to file down the length of jaw to a more reasonable level and round off the edges. Now as there is no neck on the Necron head you will need to use a small bit of greenstuff to build one. Simply place a small ball into the neck of the torso and carefully press the Necron head into this, using a modelling tool to remove any excess and shape the greenstuff. To make the Necron head look more like a mask I used two pieces of 0.8mm plastic rod on either side of the jaw to give the impression that this is a gas mask.






Step 3 - Arms

Carefully remove the shoulder pads from the arm set, you can do this either with a hobby knife or by filing the shoulder pads down. To make the lasgun into an autogun follow these instructions, attach the arms to the torso and the model is finally ready for a lick of paint.

7 comments:

Death Korps of War said...

hmmm....interesting conversion.
1 query though...why did you file away the folds in the clothes on the arms??? just means you'll be giving yourself more work putting them back in???

as for the autogun....interesting way you did it, but it looks too AK-47 to me.
this is what i have cooked up in my head just now, you can take it or leave it, i dont care either way. but what i would have done to make it look more like the one in the picture you provided, was remove the front-top thing of the gun, it just doesnt belong there in my opinion.
as for the cartridge, maybe the bolter cartridge could be cut so as it hangs vertically, instead of diagonally.
and for the grip in the picture, cut a space out from the lasgun and cut the left hand grip from the bolter and slot it in place. and as for the flashguard.....i would have kept it on, but cut away the part of the flashguard where it starts to slant.

but thats my 2c worth. as said take it or leave it, tis just a suggestion.

but very well made conversion in any case.

well done

Atrotos said...

Necron head is genius. Well done.

Thud said...

Necron head is a great idea.

Have you considered Catachan arms for some extra chaosy muscly goodness?

ItsPug said...

eryone - Thanks for the comments!

@Thud - I did my previous IG army with catachan arms, and didn't want them looking almost identical. Maybe for Vets if I take some?

@Death Korps - The folds in the fabric (what little there actually was) are still there, once painted they would probably show up more with shading and highlighting, but I'm thinking of doing these in an urban camo scheme so the folds or lack of them will be even less apparent.

The autogun is more of a G36 than AK, although if you are looking for an AK style autogun you can use a catachan rifle, cut off the barrel and turn it upside down and replace the las cartridge with a magazine from a bolter. I can't find the image now but someone did it and posted pics (somewhere) and it does look good.

Messanger of Death said...

The Necron head idea id brilliant...

Messanger

Gmorts Chaotica said...

I'm thinking of doing a 'foot' IG army as my next Project (as I have a huge pile of Guardsmen sprues that I am yet to use) and the Guardsmen would look much better done like this.
As cost is a bit of an issue for me at the moment do you think plastic Fantasy Skeleton heads would do?

ItsPug said...

@GMort, to be honest I have no idea, I only do the rayguns side of things so havent seen the fantasy skeleton heads, but I would imagine it'd look alright with a bit of green stuff.

Disclaimer.

Primarily, a blog to discuss the Games Workshop system Warhammer 40k, though not exclusively so. All GW IP used without permission, no challenge intended.

Pretty much everything here is my opinion. If you don't like my opinion, you are welcomed to say so. If you don't like me, but like my opinion, feel free to say so. If you don't like me or my opinion, I don't need to hear it. Why even visit?