Sunday 19 December 2010

WarpCon Army Idea AGAIN AGAIN - Imperial Guard

Well, DeathKorpsofWar offered me access to his IG for the event (in January) in this thread, and this is what I would want to use, if playing Guard...I don't think I'll be taking him up on his very kind offer (it's like 400 miles away, they're not mine if they get lost/stolen/broken, virtually no practice time) but I appreciate it nonetheless.  :)

So, I think THIS is what I would field, if getting an IG army from the aether...

Vendetta: - 130


Vendetta: - 130

Company Command Squad:
4 Meltaguns, Officer of the Fleet - 120

Platoon Command Squad:
4 Meltaguns  - 70

HWS:
3 Autocannons - 75

HWS:
3 Autocannons - 75

Infantry Squad 1:
Lascannon, Chimera [Multi-Laser, Heavy Flamer] - 125


Infantry Squad 2:
Lascannon, Chimera [Multi-Laser, Heavy Flamer] - 125
Infantry Squad 3:
Lascannon, Chimera [Multi-Laser, Heavy Flamer] - 125
Leman Russ Squadron:
Exterminator, Exterminator - 300

Leman Russ Squadron:
Exterminator, Exterminator - 300

...Then, I'm torn.  I want to go:

Veterans:
Melta, Melta, Flamer, Nick a Chimera from above - 95 (plus Chimera)

Take two of those, and scrape ten points somewhere.  Probably dropping the OotF, in which case I can go Trip Melta Chim instead.  Everything tells me that's the stronger variant.  But I *like* the idea of instead going:

Double Penal Legion.

That's right.  El oh el.  Thing is, they are the closest IG get to Kroot.  They make fairly expensive Bubblewrap, all told, but they have Ld8 and Stubborn, and they MIGHT get to Rend.  Being able to Scout is great, as it keeps the foe in check by wrapping in response to the foe's deployment if going first, or just advance my firebase if not.  In addition, I get a bonus to this role on their stupid chart 2/3 of the time, ie, on a 3+.  I am okay with those odds - don't you know that 3+ is the new something or other?

I know what you will say about the rest of the list:
Only 2 Vendettas - take three!
No Heavy Bolters on Vendettas? Huh?
Only one CCS??!?

 - To which I reply "Sadly, no room. Russes are expensive!"

To which you retort - "Hydras are better anyway! Use them, they're half as much!!1!"

Then we get into an argument about the merits of me being on an AV14 platform, shielding the Chims if going second vs a shooty army, etc etc.  Well, hopefully a discussion, not an argument.  Let the things I predicted, begin!

5 comments:

ItsPug said...

Lascannons in infantry squads mounted in chimeras are a waste - stick to autocannons, and if the infantry squad is packing a heavy weapon stick with a ML/HB setup as you're going to be stationary most of the time.

HWS are ok as long as the rest of the army is foot, if its mech you've got them sitting in the (figuratively) open holding their dicks and praying the enemy don't notice them.

OOTF is a no no, with reserve denial armies it plays right into their hands, you want the enemy coming in piecemeal if they reserve, not most of the army turning up on turn 5 to grab/contest or secure an extra couple of kill points...

If you wanna borrow my guard I have...

CCS 4 meltas, Chimera ML/HF

PCS 4 meltas, Chimera ML/HF
Inf Sqd Autocannon, Chimera ML/HB
Inf Sqd Autocannon, Chimera ML/HB

PCS 4 meltas, Chimera ML/HF
Inf Sqd Autocannon, Chimera ML/HB
Inf Sqd Autocannon, Chimera ML/HB

4 LRBT hull lascannons
1 Exterminator hull lascannon and sponson heavy bolters (was using with pask)

and currently building vendettas and SWS with flamers to make the vendettas scoring :) plus random other guardsmen and heavy weapons.

PS how you getting down to cork? still trying to sort out my travel arrangements, damn bus eirann doesn't list a timetable after the 27/12

Death Korps of War said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Death Korps of War said...

HW in infantry squads are useless in my opinion. the squad is expendable. its meant to be shot at, and when the Chimera gets destroyed or immoblised, you want to keep the squad moving as much as is possible.
so why waste a perfectly good HW on them?

i can understand a HW with a Vet Squad cause of the higher BS

and as for the russes, i would give 1 of them a more powerful weapons, cause your list doesnt have that much anti-armour, even with the Vendettas.
one or two lucky shots when you start the battle, or if they arrive too late from reserve if you are outflanking them (assuming you make very bad rolls and the OotF does nothing to help stop your opponents reserves. but tbh, at Q-Con not many of my opponents reserved anything and if the same happened down in cork, you'd have wasted 30pts on a useless upgrade), and your anti-armour is gone/neutralised.

TheKing Elessar said...

Why are we all awake?! lol.

The Chimera AND HWT was for maximum flexibility. It allows me to roll on in them in DoW, but generally deploy as a Combined Squad, using empty Chims as a buffer/beater.

Joe, the Exterminator is the Autocannon one - S7 Hvy 4 TwinLinked is anti-tank in my book. Not anti AV14, sure - but sufficient for most.

SWS were my original idea, until I remembered it was 1750, and 3 Vendettas was probably too hard. lol

What think you both of the Penal Legion? It's the first time I've seen a valid use for them, tbh. lol. I may be wrong and it's a shit idea.

Venerable Brother said...

But, but....Hydra's ARE cheaper!
And get to ignore turboboosts..
And, well...can't shield chimmies..

Why the Penal Legion though man? As you say they are expensive bubble wrap? Is the general idea to have something that can come back at the enemy and do something, maybe, kind of?
Not sure how much you could squeeze in by going for a cheaper option though...

As to other bits...HWT's worked well for me for a while, until I realised they relied on the 'FoMT' order to be properly accurate...which of course, did not happen all the time, especially in your case as it looks like they'll be in a Vendetta?

Lascannons on the BS3 dudes?Nuff said.

Disclaimer.

Primarily, a blog to discuss the Games Workshop system Warhammer 40k, though not exclusively so. All GW IP used without permission, no challenge intended.

Pretty much everything here is my opinion. If you don't like my opinion, you are welcomed to say so. If you don't like me, but like my opinion, feel free to say so. If you don't like me or my opinion, I don't need to hear it. Why even visit?