Friday 15 July 2011

So...what have I missed?

Haven't even been reading any other blogs for a while now, so what's going down? Warseer still full of arrogant idiotic pricks passing themselves off as competent players? Kirby still adding authors? Brent still pleasing anyone with a prefrontal cortex, but irritating the Great Unwashed? (Has a phrase ever more aptly described the type of gamer we dislike? lol) Stelek still pissing off...well...everyone? :p



I imagine with the forthcoming Sisters White Dwarf Dex (can we please have a nice acronym for that?) there's been something of a backlash against GW (understandably!) and maybe some sort of 'No to WD Dexes!' campaign - but I would MUCH rather have shitty multi-part WD ones than £25 hardbacks, just because some MORONS bitch to GW when they can't take care of a book properly!

I mean, I KNOW sometimes you get one where the glue is dodgy - they're mass produced, and done so by GW, you know what you're in for! I still have a bunch of Codexes and Rulebooks (Wargear book, Codex Imperialis, Dark Millennium etc) from 2nd Edition and more recent, and nearly all of mine are in excellent condition.  It's not like they're barely used, either - you don't get to be as au fait with unit entries and rules as I without leafing through fairly regularly.

I know online that probably looks like bluster and hot air, but when I played my friend Joe last Tuesday, I corrected him thrice in succession about wargear about his army (Tau) and theirs isn't even a Codex I would claim to know well (admittedly, there isn't a HUGE amount of variety to try and learn...but I haven't a baldy how many points a Vespid is [ok, I think 23, but I'm probly horribly wrong] or the statline of an Ethereal [possibly 2/4/3/3/3/4/2/10/-??]

Point it? Suck it up ballbags, I'd take a WD Dex over a stupid clumsy hardback anyday.  Not like I give a shit about cutting up that glossy rag anymore - not like when I was a kid (the 90s) and that would've been a kind of blasphemy.  I mean, I like the option of carrying my Codex in the figure case - and no goddamn way a hardback goes in with my banner poles, extended sword arms, antennae, flying bases etc etc.  RPG'ers like them, cos they have nothing else to carry but some dice and a file block or whatever.  The practice of travelling to games needs to be EASIER for GW games, not harder.

Anyway...back to me.

So, recently been playing with BA a lot (I believe I mentioned this?) although the hodge-podge of miniatures I'm using makes for a definitive lack of photography.  Well, my Zerks had to find something to do other than wait for a new Codex...if only more than three were painted...

My list has gone through an extensive period of testing and refinement, and I think I am coming close to something I really like.  I have been advised to drop the Priests, in favour of an extra Razor Squad, but I am of the opinion that giving my Marines FnP and FC is much more valuable than an extra hull. YMMV, ofc.

This is what I'm planning to run for my next game at 2k...

Librarian:
Shield, Sword, Infernus - 115

Librarian:
Shield, Sword, Infernus - 115

Priest:
Power Weapon
Priest:
Power Weapon - 130

Assault Squad:
Melta, Razor [L/P, Dozer] - 170
Assault Squad:
Melta, Razor [L/P, Dozer] - 170
Assault Squad:
Melta, Razor [L/P, Dozer] - 170
Assault Squad:
Melta, Razor [L/P, Dozer] - 170
Assault Squad:
Melta, Razor [HF, Dozer] - 140





2 Land Speeders:
MM, HF - 140
2 Land Speeders:
MM, HF - 140
2 Land Speeders:
MM, HF - 140

Predator:
AutoLas - 135
Predator:
AutoLas - 135
Predator:
AutoLas - 135

TOTAL: 2k exactly.

Thoughts? :)










---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks to Jason1975 for not calling me an idiot. Hahaha

15 comments:

Splinter said...

As an ametuer player I have a comment for discussions sake only.

I'm looking at the list and see the razorback with the flamer and that unit seems out of place to me. Was this just a point thing or are you using that unit specifically for something?

I read your comment about dropping the priests and gaining another hull. I'm not good enough to run a list like this with anything less then five or six troop choices. I was wondering with your expirience why you aren't using only four troop choices and, I guess, taking 'something' else?

As a side bar I would rather have an updated codex, no matter how it is presented, then no codex at all.

I'll be in the corner...

CK

Unknown said...

You need the Priests, and without a power weapon at that. Reason is you HAVE to get out your tank to unleash melta. Next turn you will face the backwash from the opponent. If a Priest is there you get feel no pain (which is sort of like having 50% extra Marines) and if you survive you can unleash more havoc. Priest doesn't have power weap because you never want him in combat.

Rest is if you fancy that. I tried auto/las Predators and liked the Vindicators better.

Gx1080 said...

Amazing, you are alive!

Well, people haven't changed so far, (except 3++ becoming shittier since the unwashed masses from BoLS moved there), but with the Tyranid mono-build proven to not be able to cut it anymore, people are cynical and bitter with mostly-Imperium 40k.

The Necron codex can't come soon enough.

Also, the cry against the WD SoB update, is that it seems like a way to fully eliminate allies without improving much the army. Also: "They released ALL the marine variants in codexes and couldn't give one to SoB? Assholes", which is a valid point.

Death Korps of War said...

heh, now thats not fair.....making out im an idiot..lol.

you also failed to mention that i've only started playing with the Tau, and still muddling my way through their rules and options etc....

but i will grant you those three corrections, as i should have paid more attention to the Tau Update than i gave it.....and the Multi-Tracker was just a dumb thing for me to forget.....so in light of this, i equipped the guy with twinlinked PR.

now i wait for your very annoyed reply....

TheKing Elessar said...

Haha, annoyed? :p

It IS true, you've only begun Tau, and I have a whole 11 games with them myself. ;)

Well GX - fully eliminating Allies is a move I approve of. lol. I HOPE the army sees quite an overhaul - I don't want to believe it is merely a name change making it Sisters of Battle this time again, hopefully they will get a little more variety and ranged support, though the current virtual mono-build is fairly strong afterall.

TheKing Elessar said...

mercer - I started with Vindis and grew to dislike them immensely. :( Innacurate and easily neutered.

I love to splat things with them, but the rules and commonly played units work very much against them at present.

I like the PW as it gives me an answer to Plague Marines, Crisis Suits and other Power Armoured thingies that haven't a Nemesis something-or-other about their person. I grant they are inefficient. :(

CK - I had been doing precisely that, but the problem is that they are commonly expended as a delivery system, leaving me light end-game. The Speeders were the first move to correct this, but I have since decided that the few points they leave allow me no real more efficient unit - instead, the additional Heavy Flamers act as a neat deterrent to the likes of Kroot, how could otherwise slow my advance much more - or Orks, because sometimes I can't kill them fast enough. :(

Dethtron said...

I feel strangely snubbed by your intro paragraphy you berk :)

TheKing Elessar said...

I just did it to raise your ire and attract your malevolent gays...I mean, gaze. :p

<3 Dethtron. Haha

ItsPug said...

What??? I thought you were dead???

PW on the priests? Do you really want them in CC? One power weapon isn't much of a CC deterent. Saying that I'd stick with the priests rather than another squad.

Planning on heading to any tournaments soon?

Splinter said...

Thanks for the reply TKE!

I am struggling with my own list full of terminators against horde type armies. I think it's a paper/rock/scissor thing.

My problem is that I don't 'play' well enough to go with only three terminator units and build a hybird list suggested by other expirienced people. I have the models but not the skill so to speak.

I was thinking about your list and wonder if removing one unit of speeders for another sqaud with a flamer. Use those two units to keep near objectives and use the other four units as deliver methods. Based on who you are facing you might even put a priest within range of at least one of these objective holders.

I would then take the remaining two speeder units and split one down the middle so you still have three slots of speeders. Two in one and two single speeder units.

Keeping the powerfists seems like a good idea at the moment but unless you discover another 'unit' to take or something then keeping them is probably best. I don't have a good idea t the moement to offer.

It is good to see you commenting too. In other corners of the internet you have always been cordial with me and I appreciate that... to much drama and drama queens sometimes for my taste.

I will catch you later in antoher corner...

CK

Unknown said...

Put a power weap on the Sgt then with a flamer in the unit. Makes a nice assault unit and the Priest doesn't need to get into b2b and die.

Vindicators YMMV. I admit mine supernaturally always hit 9 times out of 10.

TheKing Elessar said...

@Chris - No, no Tournies. Arkham have a good looking one the 6/7 Aug, only 5 Tickets left (1750, Johnny65 is [helping?] run it) BUT, I go to Edinburgh the 5th. :(

Perhaps PW on Sergs is better, but I (in non-KP games) often like to send my ICs off to hold up/kill weak threats rather than de-score my Razor. Like your Sentinel that time. ;)

CK - Thanks. :)

Practice will hopefully find you the clarity you seek, though it is the right kind of practice too, and responding in the right way...it isn't always so easy to learn a lesson. :)

I don't know if another FlamerBack adds enough, will try with Attack Bikes first, but will bear your suggestion in mind.

Mercer - Yeah, but then I'd feel I was too light on Melta. Lose-Lose, really.

sir_m1ke said...

Was that the list u were running on Monday night at AGC? Didnt get to watch your game with my nids trying to survive venoms lol

Questions that spring to mind about the list- what do your priests add to this list? You have 10 lascannons, 6 multimeltas and 3 autocannons already hitting tanks, i dont see why your assault squads would voluntarily disembark- why spend more points on 2 priests?

A little part of me would like to see some typhoons just to compliment your ranged anti-tank, but maybe thats just me- never hurts to have another 4 S8 shots in a force

but i do have an unhealthy love for typhoons.....

if u can, get to AGC tournament, ill be there with the nids. Johnny ran QCON brilliantly, i enjoyed the whole weekend (except for getting 2 venomspam armies in 5 games with my nids *cries*)

TheKing Elessar said...

Oh yeah, forgot you said here you were going Mike, lol. No, I go to Edinburgh for the Festival next Friday, so no Assault on Arkham for me. :(

Yep, same list.

Priests double survivability with FnP, and give a CC punch that smushes non-BA Combat Squads (and full Tacticals)...it allows my grunts to almost function as a proper (albeit small) CC unit, and that gives me the edge over most other line troops. Also, Priests are good for when I'm forced to silence Oblits by charging them. :/

Typhoons are nice, but they feel overpriced for SM/SW/BA when so cheap for BTs and DAs. :(

sir_m1ke said...

Fair play, just wondered if those points for the priests could be used better elsewhere, but i understand where you are coming from

When is the next tourney you are free for then? There is one up in Derry at the end of August, and Titancon in Sept, going to try and get to both hopefully myself- still convinced i can get nids to place well if i can just avoid fecking venomspam

if you are free any Mon nite up at AGC give me a shout for a game, im trying to get as many games in as possible now before packing the nids away- next up is a GK army tonite :(

Disclaimer.

Primarily, a blog to discuss the Games Workshop system Warhammer 40k, though not exclusively so. All GW IP used without permission, no challenge intended.

Pretty much everything here is my opinion. If you don't like my opinion, you are welcomed to say so. If you don't like me, but like my opinion, feel free to say so. If you don't like me or my opinion, I don't need to hear it. Why even visit?