Monday 12 September 2011

Doing this blogging thing...

It's been a while, yeah, whatever. :p

Haven't gone anywhere, and you may have seen me posting comments here and on YTTH as usual lately, if somewhat more infrequently than I'd like.



That said, at the minute YTTH is irritating, due to Stelek's insistence that it's illegal to 'powerslide'.

Don't get me wrong, I understand what he's saying, but it's bullshit.  There is NO rule that prohibits ANY vehicle from moving laterally, despite his claims to the contrary...and I don't want to be a dick, so I haven't pointed it out - this isn't an emo post behind his back either, it's just the reason I can't be bothered with the site right now.

As you have seen, there's a lot going on around here despite my lack of obvious output, Width is proceeding apace with his Eldar scribblings, and I have thrown a few scraps into the melting pot so far, hopefully I can find the time/motivation to get the finger out properly and get my thinking cap on...sadly, THQ's Space Marine is taking up quite a bit of my freizeit at the moment, it's more than a little addictive to actually fuck Orks and Chaos Marines up like I always imagined.  Well...not EXACTLY as I imagined, but close enough.

That and a few months of IRL unpleasantness *BORING ALERT* has seen a marked decrease in my desire to really talk about anything at length - and I'd much rather not blog at all than throw out half an article masquerading as a Deep Thought or a balanced report of a Tournament...just as examples. ;)

Yes, yes, previous evidence to the contrary aside.

As you may know, I have been slowly but steadily building a Blood Angels force for the last several months - or rather, playtesting it extensively, using a mixture of variously coloured Marines, not even always all belonging to me.  It has reached a stage where I am happy with the list, and am beginning to make the terrifying-if-in-one-lump-sum financial commitment to the army.  Fortunately, a few of the things I already owned (a BA Battleforce, some Razorbacks, some ASM) and so this reduces the outlay.  For reference, the list:

Librarian - Shield, Sword, Infernus - 115
Librarian - Sword, Shield, Infernus - 115
5 ASM - Melta, L/P Razor - 165
5 ASM - Melta, L/P Razor - 165
5 ASM - Melta, L/P Razor - 165
5 ASM - Melta, L/P Razor - 165
5 ASM - Melta, HF Razor - 130
Priest - PW - 65
Priest - PW - 65
2 Speeders - MM/HF - 140
2 Speeders - MM/HF - 140
2 Speeders - MM/HF - 140
Predator - AutoLas - 135

Predator - AutoLas - 135
Predator - AutoLas - 135
 - Oh and Dozers for the Razors.  2k on the nose.

Don't need to buy any more infantry per se, but I love the bling too much. :(

Have also decided upon a Space Wolf army Imma build, seeing as I also have one of their Battleforces I picked up unused second hand cheaply...

Rune Priest - Chooser, Lightning, Storm - 110
5 Scouts - Melta - 85
5 Scouts - Melta - 85
Wolf Guard:
2 Combi-Melta, Power Fist;
4 Combi-Melta - 178
5 Grey Hunters - Melta, L/P Razor - 155
5 Grey Hunters - Melta, L/P Razor - 155
5 Grey Hunters - Melta, L/P Razor - 155
5 Grey Hunters - Melta, L/P Razor - 155
2 Speeders - MM/HF - 140
2 Speeders - MM/HF - 140
2 Speeders - MM/HF - 140
5 Fangs - 4 MLs, L/P Razor - 190
5 Fangs - 4 MLs, L/P Razor - 190
5 Fangs - 4 MLs, L/P Razor - 190

...What do you mean they're the same list?? They totally aren't.  Anyway...

I have an article I want to write for Kirbs, in an embryonic stage, hopefully it will germinate.  

Finally, a public apology to Dethtron - I meant to reply re Blog Idol, and Real Life got in the way, but I was flattered and privileged to be asked.  I'm only sorry I missed the opportunity.  When things get back on a more even keel, will do something special to make it up to you.  Haha.

PS - this is in no way an apology for Reals getting inbetween me and blogging.  It happens, deal with it. :p

8 comments:

Death Korps of War said...

You forgot to mention that not all your BA belong to the Imperium....lol
And you could buy a new Prdeator. That black one you mashed together. Looks very odd sitting next to the newer models. It hasnt grown old gracefully..lol
Lots of plastic surgery (get it?? lol), and a mad scientist doing the plastic surgery??? Not a great combination for an old bird....lol

You mean tanks moving left to right without pivoting first, then pivoting back when they are done moving???
Since when has anyone really cared for that??? In game terms its assumed you pivoted first then pivoted back. Your not really gaining much ground doing either way.
So i would say you are well justified in calling him a retard...lol

TheKing Elessar said...

Woah there Nelly Furtado.

Retard is waaaaay strong - he's being stupid in acting like it was part of the rules, but I'd never say that. I respect the guy, he's just stubborn.

As for tanks moving sideways, it generates a potential advantage quite easily, and can be important - but there's only reason to prohibit tracked and wheeled vehicles moving that way, not Skimmers.

Death Korps of War said...

Nelly Furtado??

Twas just a figure of speech. It went with the sentence well.

Ah, but then again, does anyone care enough to tell their opponent to make the move properly??? Not many would, i would say. In which case your just being peddantic (if thats the correct use of the word. I think it is.)

Widthofacircle said...

Your problem is not helping me buy a new xbox to play Space Marine on....

*hints...?*

Splinter said...

To draw you away from the 'discussion' of power sliding... :P

I've gotta ask a question about the wolves list. I like it but I'm not playing that well...

How would you deal with two raiders filled with 10 - 12 Death Cult Assassins, techmarine, and Coteaz or Libby?

I'm not doing so hot with my speeders I guess and after they reach me I'm not really winning the fight because I need to soften those units up.

CK

GiantKiller said...

" There is NO rule that prohibits ANY vehicle from moving laterally, despite his claims to the contrary"
-TKE

My first problem with your argument is that 40k is a permissive ruleset. It's not a matter of "I can unless you show me I can't," it's "I can't unless you show me I can. So without a rule saying we can move vehicles laterally, we can't.

There's also the diagram on p. 12 which seems to indicate models can move only in the direction they are currently facing.

And, while the vehicle movement rules don't come right out and say "you can't move laterally" or "you can only move straight ahead" I would argue that it's implied by the way they discuss turning.

The rule for vehicle movement tells us:
"Vehicles can turn any number of times as they move, just like any other model. Vehicles turn by pivoting on the spot about their centre-point, rather than 'wheeling' round. Turning does not reduce the vehicle's move. This means that a vehicle may combine forward and reverse movement in the same turn providing it does not exceed its maximum move." BGB p. 57

The language "this means" is incorporating the preceding statements: that turning does not reduce the vehicle's movement allowance and you pivot rather than "wheel round". That line can therefore be read as "because turning does not reduce the vehicle's movement allowance and they don't have to 'wheel round', a vehicle can combine forward and reverse movement..." But, if your contention was correct and vehicles really could move in any direction they want without having to turn first, being able to move forward and backward would have absolutely nothing to do with whether or not turning counted as movement - the vehicle could just go forward, then back up, without changing its facing whatsoever. If that were true, the language "this means" would be completely superfluous because what followed would have no dependence on what came before. And I would argue that an interpretation which renders language superfluous is incorrect.

For that matter, why give us permission to pivot during a move at all if facing is irrelevant during the move itself? If vehicles really could move laterally, turning would only be relevant at the end of the move, right?

-GK

Messanger of Death said...

I was wondering where you have been hiding, TKE. Interwebz has been empty without you.

And sorry to do this, but I agree with the above poster that power sliding isn't permitted by da rulez. If it was things would be different for a column of Rhinos two wide and three deep that are packed in together like sardines.

e-hugz,
Messanger

TheKing Elessar said...

Moar comment later. Tired. lol

Disclaimer.

Primarily, a blog to discuss the Games Workshop system Warhammer 40k, though not exclusively so. All GW IP used without permission, no challenge intended.

Pretty much everything here is my opinion. If you don't like my opinion, you are welcomed to say so. If you don't like me, but like my opinion, feel free to say so. If you don't like me or my opinion, I don't need to hear it. Why even visit?