Wednesday 21 September 2011

Progress is Slow with This One

Hey,

I'm dropping this quick post to apologise for the slow progress on the Eldar project front and to give you a rough idea of what's going to be in the Codex and any re-arrangements that have happened on the good 'ole FOC. My real life has taken a sudden turn for the frantically busy, with me squeezing any writing, revising & dog walking between everything else that I have to do at the moment. Progress *is* being made behind closed doors and I thought I'd share the level of completeness with you as it stands.
But first an amusing anecdote... :) (Skip if you like, it's the italic bit)

I am currently trying to get into veterinary science as a post-graduate and am spending all my free time volunteering in vet surgeries watching operations, consultations and dog enemas (stinky, but very funny to watch the odd look on the dog's face when it happens haha). One particular consultation that I was in today made me and the attending vet laugh so much I decided to share it with t'internet.


The old lady Mrs Wallace rang the surgery yesterday saying that her nocturnal cat was off it's food, not drinking and not doing much, spending all it's time on a towel by her fireplace during the day rather than sleeping on her bed. Understanding her concern, the vet organised an appointment for this afternoon and Mrs Wallace duly complied, bringing her cat (who had not undergone any subsequent changes in symptom) with her. Standing in the consultation room with the vet I was shadowing, he informed me that this old lady had a sharp sense of humour and was a real joy to talk to as she obviously cared a great deal about her pets, constantly acting as a raconteur, recounting their activities to him.


As she came in the room, we became aware of an odd smell, sort of low and damp. The vet looked at me and mouthed,


'Can you smell that?'


I nodded. Suddenly, the aroma of liquorice and coal tar soap filled the room as Mrs Wallace's 'perfume' caught up with her and we looked at the cat basket held at her side. Lifting the wicker box up to the examination table, she opened the door and the cat didn't move.


'Perhaps she's still asleep, didn't budge when I put her in the box.'


After calling the animal's name (Misty) for about 30 seconds and it still didn't rouse her, the vet poked his hand inside the cage and felt the apparently slumbering cat's neck. Looking at me and then at the cat and finally at the owner, the vet said,


'I'm sorry Mrs Wallace, your cat is very much off it's food and water. In fact, Misty died a few days ago in her sleep, I'm very sorry for your loss.'


Mrs Wallace started to laugh.


'Well, it doesn't really surprise me. She didn't even wake up when I hit the lamp post outside my house on my way over here. Oh well, she had a good run.'

True Story.


Ahem.

I was telling you about the ECP.

This is what's been done so far....

HQ

Avatar - pre-alpha done (Need to rework the Court of the Young King though...)
Phoenix Lords - notes
Farseer - extensive notes done
Seer Council - notes
Autarch - prealpha draft done
Bonesingers - almost happy with this... Will be posted with the Avatar
Yriel - not started
Eldrad - notes

Elites

Pathfinders - almost done final draft
Fire Dragons - pre-alpha is drafted
Banshees - almost ready to write unit entry
Scorpions - extensive notes
Wraithguard - uhhh lots of conflicting ideas kicking around at the moment
Harlies - Exactly the same as last time (keeps with DE)

Warlocks - lots of problems & ideas kicking around here... hmmm
Wave Serpents - I have a few ideas here, but will probably leave towards the end...

Troops

Dire Avengers - pre-alpha done
Rangers - alpha done
Guardian Jetbikes - alpha done
Guardian Defenders & Storms - Beta done

Fast Attack

Shining Spears - major problems here... :(
Warp Spiders - extensive notes, am narrowing down lots of ideas
Swooping Hawks - almost ready to write pre-alpha entry
Vyper Jetbikes - notes compiled
Nightspinner - notes compiled
War Walkers - not started

Heavy Support

Support Weapon - not started
Reapers - notes made, but might restart
Wraithlord - major lists, drafting and redrafting - guh
Falcon - notes
Fire Prism - lot's o' notes.


You can probably tell there's a lot of units to sort out. Yes I will be doing Forgeworld models at some point, but only after the rest of the work has been finished.

Expect a post with actual content on Friday. lol.

Any comments with the modified FOC?

4 comments:

archont said...

I do.

Please bring back jumper armies, as in the 3rd edition codex, 'Spiders should be Elites, 'Hawks are good in Fast.

Putting Vypers and Walkers in the same FOC is questionable at best - for creating high volume s6 armies, having Walkers in HeavyandVypers in Fast always prove beneficial - you are eliminating that choice.


I have just joined your blog, So I'd be rather interested in knowing how you plan on levelling the playibgfield for Falcons.

As it stands, they are severely inferior to Vendettas in pts, firepower, speed and transportcapeability, very severely behind Stormravens when it comes to speed, and lack the pts-efficiency of Ravagers.
Holofields are still good - as long as you don't run into a couple of meltas.

Ptswise, the Falcon is probably fine, but have you considered either...
... making him a Transport option?
... making him bf4
... giving him access to a higher quantity of guns? (i.e. like 3 turret mounted and one underslung?)
... upping his speed via built in staengines or somesuch?
Note that I DO NOT advocate making him cheaper.


Guardians: Have you considered...
... dropping the minimal squad size?
... giving access to more heavy/special weapons depending on unitsize?
... incorporating the heavy support plattforms into guardian squads?

TheKing Elessar said...

Hi archont,

There is already an article on Guardians a few down, you can see their progress there. :)

As for the Falcon's point being ok, I strongly disagree.

False comparison in ways, but a Fast Predator with Autocannon and sponson Lascannons is 135. With better Front Armour, better BS, and better anti-tank.

Adding new weapons means a new model - this isn't really within our remit.

Holo-Fields are necessary, but at 35 points, no, they are not 'good'.

I completely agree about Walkers being HS, not FA choices.

I prefer Spiders as FA, especially since they can't compete with Dragons anyway.
:)

Christopher said...

Spiders must have another FoC slot then most of our elite.

AS the Elite is already crouded enough.

Widthofacircle said...

I will swap the Walkers back to HS then. It was a moment of weakness I must admit.

One thing i have been mulling over for certain Phoenix lords is to render taking six squads of their aspect by allowing you to take them as elites too. This was pretty much only for Baharroth.

Disclaimer.

Primarily, a blog to discuss the Games Workshop system Warhammer 40k, though not exclusively so. All GW IP used without permission, no challenge intended.

Pretty much everything here is my opinion. If you don't like my opinion, you are welcomed to say so. If you don't like me, but like my opinion, feel free to say so. If you don't like me or my opinion, I don't need to hear it. Why even visit?