Friday 31 July 2009

Imperial Fisting ; Advice for Flekkzo

" Hi :)

I'm pretty much trying to figure things out and painting as fast as circumstances allow. But this is what I own:

2 Razorbacks + 1 Assault Cannon
2 10 Tactical Squads, 1 Sergeant with power fist
2 Captains, one with a power fist
1 AoBR Dread (*buuuh*)
1 Ironclad Dread (still on sprue)
1 Devastator Squad (will use them as heavy weapons choices for the tact squads. 2 lascannons done, planning 2 heavy bolters and 1 rocket (which will bring me up to 2 in total)
1 5 man AoBR terminator squad

My next plan is to cut down on the tons of extras I carried (extra armor and dozer blades proved useless) and move the ironclad into the list, see how that works. I have thoughts of replacing one of the Captains as well. My fists proved to be super weak in close combat most of the time and their boltguns proved to be weak in killing potential. Can be my noobness as well, still trying to figure out the best way to use them. I do find 40k far easier to grasp than warmachine 5-6 months ago:)

Cheers,
Flekkzo"

Thanks for the email there Flekkzo, :)

Sorry this took so long! Without further ado:

At 1k, from that, I'd use:

Captain:
(Don't waste high I with a Fist) - Relic Blade, Artificier Armour. - 145 (a Bike would be nice, but not without Bike Squad. Don't ever use him on Bike alone, he'd just die. :) )

10 Tacticals:
Flamer/ Missile Launcher (Multi-Melta better), in Rhino (Razorback are bad, because they force Combat Squads. Combat Squads are bad, see LINK) - 205

10 Tacticals:
As above. - 205 (Note, no need for the Fist. Fists = aggressive use of the unit, Scoring Units need to be shielded in the way Fritz does, because they're the most important on the table. Don't use Combi-Weapons on Sergenats for the same reason.)

5 Terminators:
Assault Cannon. PLEASE REPLACE WITH CYCLONE ASAP. :) - 230

SUBTOTAL: 785 - if you could play 800 points with this a few times to get a feel for the units etc, as some prefer MLs to MM s in Tac Units, it'd be great. The Captian either gets a Stormbolter or Hellfire Rounds, with Melta Bombs. I'd recommend playtesting Digital Weapons also, to see if it makes much difference, but, at S6, I doubt it.

To go on up, 105 points of AoBR Dread.

Seeing as an Ironclad would then take you over, I'd playtest it as a second regular Dread. 995 Points total. Try that, and let me know how you get on! :)

- Note, fully Reserving Marines is a bad plan. Marines are a Shooty army, but no slouches in CC. The point is, you get as much shooting as possible, and in middle of the board where you're most effetive. Within 18" you're probably most powerful, so you want to be there.

BatReps always welcome!

EDIT: AAAARGH! Spelling mistakes everywhere, Spellcheck fail. Next time I won't type in NotePad!

3 comments:

Flekkzo said...

Neat. I'll have to let it mull over in the back of my mind while I fly tomorrow :) I still have to figure out if I should go for more CC or more shooty. I must have been colored quite a lot by facing Black Templars in my first few games :)

My friendly Terminator squad unfortunately is the AoBR bog standard ones, meaning no fun weapons at all:/

Gx1080 said...

Do not link that forum post again. Meltaguns are better that Multi-melta? ROFLMAO.

Yeah of course, if you are stupid enough for getting out of the transport. And if you win doing that your oponents suck ass.

TheKing Elessar said...

Um, yeah, I disagree with SEVERAL of his points. However, he's right about Combat Squads. Just ignore the rest :p

Disclaimer.

Primarily, a blog to discuss the Games Workshop system Warhammer 40k, though not exclusively so. All GW IP used without permission, no challenge intended.

Pretty much everything here is my opinion. If you don't like my opinion, you are welcomed to say so. If you don't like me, but like my opinion, feel free to say so. If you don't like me or my opinion, I don't need to hear it. Why even visit?