Thursday 30 July 2009

LOLs on BoLS.

Well, I visited Bell Of Lost Souls, to see what was going down.

Clicked this thread.

Read the list posted by JWolf. Fail, right?

So, I told him so.

From what I've heard, he's a decent player - so he'll understand my comments, take it seriously, even if he doesn't agree, and at the very least ask what I mean.

Mmm.

A little bit later, I think he understands a bit better. Sadly, some other people have decided to join the debate...and are either misinterpreting me, or just plain misunderstanding.

I'm fed up with DisQus crap reloading the page every time I post, so here are the answers to what you claim.

Fritz comes across as an arrogant player. Most decent+ players in 40k do, sometimes at least. Is calling him decent+ an insult? Only if you're an idiot, and take decent+ to be a specific ranking in an unspecified system, rather than decent and above, as is clearly the intent.

Did he invent Tank Shock and Contesting late game? No. Does he think he did? I seriously doubt it. Does he regularly refer to himself as the King of Tactics, or not downplay such posts on his blog by sycophants, and routinely say how the other Eldar players in his area, and some others, are "using his tactics against him" and saying how much he hates them, as though he somehow felt affronted, insulted, or put out in some way by people doing the things he does?

The answer, dear reader, is a resounding yes.

Am I the only person who thinks he comes across as arrogant? No. The following quote is from Honsou, also called Kris, so I assume it's KhornateKris.

"Actually thats just my login for here. What shot are you referring too? I was talking about all the internet smack talk you make about yourself. I wasnt the one who posted how myself and fritz "dominate" the north east." - He said it to Jawaballs, but the point is, it was about both. Is arrogance always bad? No.

Do I think he's a jerk? An idiot? A scrub? I subscribe to his blog, and have posted several times recently. Would I do that if I didn't think he was a positive influence on the Hobby?

Read my posts - do I say anything negative about him? I say he was lucky in one - holy crap, I must secretly mean he's a noob. Oh, wait, I don't. He's a pretty good player, who runs a list hamstrung by his choice to use Vypers, and ignore Fire Dragons. Would I enjoy a game against him? Yes, probably. Would I like to have one, sure. If he's ever in Northern Ireland, no doubt. Until then, unlikely it could happen, but not from anything other than financial, geographical and time constraints. Does his choice to not respond to most of the comments on his page help this image? No. He gets a lot, I get it. He has a life, I get it. He has a bucketload of emails to answer, I get it. One comment on each thread, thanking contributors for their thoughts, with no need to even read them? That would go a LONG way.


Is JWolf's list, in my eyes, Epic Fail? No. Pure Fail though, is different.

Pure Fail means that this list could only be used adequately by a significantly skilled player/someone significantly better than his opponents/against someone playing an Ork Battleforce army/Daemons/Necrons/ Tyranids (Those last being alternatives to Orks.)

A new player, reading this, thinking that JWlf is good and therefore uses a good list, will go home crying after being tabled for the 6th time that day.

Is it good for the hobby that new players read his stuff, and assume better?
Is it good for the hobby that soemone who can apparently play so well can writer lists, in the public domain, so poorly?
Is it good for the hobby that he advertises this list as being un-fixable, by implication?

No, it is not.

The un-fixable bit refers to earlier in the thread. Yes, he thanked the earlier poster for his thoughts on the list, but "I like my list the way I have it" is somewhat dismissive, even if not the intent - and it does not suggest reasons why you have not chosen any ofd his suggestions yourself. Presumably, you had a reason to do so. Making these things clear is the only way to help people learn, unless you can display it in person - and, as I said to you before, you're on the internet here. You NEED to show people how things work - and that can't be done across the globe in person. Even a link to a previosu BatRep is better than dismissing things out of hand. People read your words, and listen - and just because it works for you, doesn't mean it will for them.

When I am giving advice, if someone says they absolutely won't use 'x' unit, I list it's good points, one final time, in comparison to 'y' substitute - if that won't sway them, then it's up to them to discover it themselves. I don't give up before that - but I've been palying long enough to have that same arrogance. A new player may well have new thoughts to offer - but not have the BoLS to stand up for them. Listen, as well as talk. (This is a more general point, not a personal attack - before someone starts.) [By the way, I would only have emailed you a list in return if you didn't want it posted in my blog - I'd happily have done a feature on it.]

One final point:
Crazyredpreatorian - Go fuck yourself.

6 comments:

Ad Astra said...

King, I didn't take your comments personally on BOLS and there are no hard feelings- no reason to have any, really.

The vids I post are sometimes a difficult thing for me to do. People sure do love them, and they are "fun" to make, but it is a game and comments condensed down to ten minutes and most of the story/background gets left out.

The two eldar players I talk about in the club is done in jest since we are friends and have a bit of rivalry. They know it is joking, people still line up to play me b/c I help make the game fun when we play, but I can see how it sometimes might appear on a vid without knowing the dynamics of the situation. Again nothing personal taken.

Internet drama is interesting to say the least, but that is all I take it as- both the good and the bad just drama. In person, on the table, I'm out to have fun and play a good game- for both me and my opponent.

TheKing Elessar said...

I certainly get that impression. I honestly don't know how you do the BatReps. I've tried to record one, but the banter is as important to me as the events, I can't stop recording, and, before you know it, it's stopped doing so, and I've missed the last turn completely.

Do you record the full game and cut, or do it a few seconds/minute at a time?

I enjoy watching your games, even if I sometimes think I'd have done differently - but that's inevitable.

I'm glad you didn't take offence, as I certainly didn't intend to offend.

Raptor1313 said...

Ah, the internet. Best tool for miscommunication, since communication relies on body language, tone, and word choice; and the web kills 2/3 of that.

That aside, I'm kind of with you on your analysis of Jwolf's list.

Is it terrible? It's got some good stuff in it, but it could certainly be tweaked and a little optimized. I mean, honestly, redundancy IS your friend, and there are some points to trim here and there. I mean, power weapons in guard? Why?

Then again, to be honest, I hit BOLS for news. Though, I agree with you: a lot of folks will see it, think it's great, and not realize that it's got some deficiences.

Also, on arrogance? I think a lot of people come off that way, and it happens on the web. I think I'm decent, though I'll still come off arrogant.

TheKing Elessar said...

Yeah, like I said, I think most of us do, in a way.

The trick is in trying to make sure that's not all people see of us, which is part of the reason I took this to my own blog - so I could formulate a more appropriate response to multiple comments. :)

thehod said...

I personally thought you did it more tongue n cheek than arrogant. Only reason why I say your delivery was pure fail because people got all butt hurt all over it and basically /ragequit. Jwolf put his list out there for people to butcher and you supplied the knives.

I honestly thought you had some good points I wont go into detail but I agreed with what you said.

TheKing Elessar said...

Well, as I said, there was no intent to offend - more to ensure my view on the list was noticed. I don't like the thought of people quitting the game after being tabled by a WAAC player when they run a (relatively) poor list they got off the net.

I found the reaction, especially from people who weren't affected, hilarious.

It's nice that my use of capitals wasn't lost on everyone though. :)

Disclaimer.

Primarily, a blog to discuss the Games Workshop system Warhammer 40k, though not exclusively so. All GW IP used without permission, no challenge intended.

Pretty much everything here is my opinion. If you don't like my opinion, you are welcomed to say so. If you don't like me, but like my opinion, feel free to say so. If you don't like me or my opinion, I don't need to hear it. Why even visit?