Wednesday 19 August 2009

Linkdead Eldar advice!

Linkdead said...
I've been following the thread over on Heresy and I saw this one here and it's inspired me to build an Eldar army. I can't say I've ever been a fan of Eldar either.

What do you think of this list built using the same template but with Eldrad?

Eldrad
210

5 Fire Dragons
Wave Serpent
-Bright Lance
-Spirit Stones
225

10 Dire Avengers
-Exarch
-Dual Catapults
-Bladestorm
Wave Serpent
-Spirit Stones
-Bright Lance
297

10 Dire Avengers
-Exarch
-Dual Catapults
-Bladestorm
Wave Serpent
-Spirit Stones
-Bright Lance
297


5 Pathfinders
120

Fire Prism
115

Fire Prism
115

Fire Prism
115

total: 1494

Replace the Stones with Chin Cannon, you have little mid-range anti-Infantry. To be honest, what's Eldrad going to do in this list? He has virtually nothing to Guide - wouldn't a regular DoomSeer make more sense? In fact, this could be a way to showcase the SuiSeer Build.

Farseer:
Doom, Mind War, Spirit Stones, RoWit, Singing Spear, RoWard (because you have no other access). - 148

Stick him in a Serpent with Fire Dragons and use him to bolster the unitb if attacking Infantry. The Spear adds a bit of anti-tank, although it probably isn't at all necessary.

Dropping the DA Exarchs takes your total saving to 126. Replace the Pathfinders, then, with 8 more Avengers in a BL/SCan Serp. Same number of Troops, more mobility, gives the Dragons a better chance to last...Altogether though, I think that Eldar still don't work well at 1500. If IG don't take the Throne Of Skulls this year it's because the IG Players there aren't competitive enough...or Space Wolves are just that much better.

Sorry it took so long to get this one out, it's been waiting to be published for over a week, I just forgot about it... :(

Also, I haven't forgotten your revised list Mathew Wong, it's en route. My promised post on LOS is also coming in a week or so.

5 comments:

Raptor1313 said...

Just about spot-on agree with the Elessar on this one.

While you COULD get more shots with the Bladestorm, it also leaves you worthless for a turn, and you could just get more shots over time. I'd rather roll that way, and get the massive points savings.

Spirit Stones? Useful 1/6 times. Shuriken Cannon? Useful when you can point it at something with an armor value less than 12-13, or Toughness lower than 8.

I think Pathfinders are a fine choice, but only in larger points lists. They just fail to contribute much of anything. They harass infantry in the open, and every once in a while annoy a transport. (After, y'know, S3 + the rend + a 3+ to actually glance a Rhino).

The only thing I'd think about debating you on is the Mind War and Spirit Stones; could free up a good 45ish points there. I like Mind War, but with cover saves and the part where you have to get out to use it...might not see so much love.

As it is, with those points I'd probably add chin guns to the Prisms and then make one of the Fire Dragons an Exarch w/ Flamer.

Just for sake of curiosity, why Mind War?

TheKing Elessar said...

It's FTW. ;)

It just makes for hilarious stories...really, it is unnecessary. Guide may be more useful, in case you have to shoot Infantry with the Dragons.

Linkdead said...

I've done some more research on Mech Eldar and got rid of the 10 man DA squads. To be honest when I pieced together that first list I knew next to nothing about Eldar. Here is my updated list:

HQ: Eldrad Ulthran (1#, 210 pts)
1 Eldrad Ulthran @ 210 pts (Psyker; Doom ; Eldritch Storm ; Fortune ; Guide ; Mind War ; Divination; Fleet; Independent Character; Ghost Helm (GH); Rune Armour (RAmr); Runes of Warding (RofWard); Runes of Witnessing (RofWit); Spirit Stones (P:SpStn); Shuriken Pistol (Sp); Witchblade (WB); Staff of Ulthamar (SofU))

Elite: Fire Dragons (7#, 206 pts)
6 Fire Dragons @ 206 pts (Fleet; Fusion Gun (Fg); Melta Bombs)
1 Wave Serpent (Energy Field (Wave Serpent); Shuriken Cannon (SCan); TL Shuriken Cannons (TL-SCan))

Troops: Dire Avengers (6#, 205 pts)
5 Dire Avengers @ 205 pts (Fleet; Avenger S-Catapult (ASC))
1 Wave Serpent (Energy Field (Wave Serpent); Shuriken Cannon (SCan); TL Bright Lances (TL-BL))

Troops: Dire Avengers (6#, 205 pts)
5 Dire Avengers @ 205 pts (Fleet; Avenger S-Catapult (ASC))
1 Wave Serpent (Energy Field (Wave Serpent); Shuriken Cannon (SCan); TL Bright Lances (TL-BL))

Troops: Dire Avengers (6#, 205 pts)
5 Dire Avengers @ 205 pts (Fleet; Avenger S-Catapult (ASC))
1 Wave Serpent (Energy Field (Wave Serpent); Shuriken Cannon (SCan); TL Bright Lances (TL-BL))

Heavy Support: Fire Prism (1#, 125 pts)
1 Fire Prism @ 125 pts (Shuriken Cannon (SCan); Prism Cannon (PC))

Heavy Support: Fire Prism (1#, 125 pts)
1 Fire Prism @ 125 pts (Shuriken Cannon (SCan); Prism Cannon (PC))

Heavy Support: Falcon (1#, 130 pts)
1 Falcon @ 130 pts (Scatter Laser (SctL); TL Shuriken Catapult (TL-Scat); Pulse Laser (PL))

Troops: Dire Avengers (5#, 60 pts)
5 Dire Avengers @ 60 pts (Fleet; Avenger S-Catapult (ASC))

Raptor1313 said...

I still think at 1500, Eldrad is a bit pricy. I'd drop him and get holo-fields on the score-falcon, if nothing else.

On the other hand, Mind War DOES make for the best stories.

"Oh. Your Warboss is dead. Sorry."

REALLY upset an Ork Player with that.

TheKing Elessar said...

I admit, I'm still not really in favour of Eldrad@1500. Problem being, he's too good to ignore. Sigh. List is nice overall though. I'll think about MechDrad @1500...

Disclaimer.

Primarily, a blog to discuss the Games Workshop system Warhammer 40k, though not exclusively so. All GW IP used without permission, no challenge intended.

Pretty much everything here is my opinion. If you don't like my opinion, you are welcomed to say so. If you don't like me, but like my opinion, feel free to say so. If you don't like me or my opinion, I don't need to hear it. Why even visit?