Saturday 19 September 2009

A quick email response...

"Hello King,

I've been digging through your blog recently (ever since YTTH linked to it). Good stuff.

I actually have a question about grav tank assembly.

Glue the flying bases on, or leave them detachable? I can see benefits for both, but I figured I'd ask someone who gives his tanks a lot of wear and tear.

Thanks in advance,
-John"

I never glue mine in, for three main reasons;

1) Storage. I transport mine 2 in a tray in GW cases (ease of purchase winning out over perhaps better quality products I'm afraid) as you can sort of see in this picture...Eldar

2) Wrecked/Immob'd results. While you can of course adequately rep these without risking your paintjob, until I can be bothered to create scenic destroyed Grav Tanks on bases (which I will, eventually, do) it just works better this way - ease again winning, and, when you can lose up to 9 of the damn things in a game, if the dice hate you that day, it's just more practical.

3) Different heights. I carry a selection of Flying Stands for my various vehicles, approximately 50% more than I will need. Sometimes, I might want that Cover Save I get being the exact height of a Wave Serpent parked in front of me, while the Prism Cannon shoots over it's hull.Sometimes I want to be higher, so the Avengers or Dragons can shoot underneath. Flexibility rules.

Hope that helps! :)

6 comments:

Raptor1313 said...

I'm with the Elessar on this.

Detachable, all the way.

The only thing I can add is that I don't use the basic ones. I use nuts and bolts, and glue a nut to the bottom and use the bolts on the flying stands. Much more stable, since the regular ones are prone to turning your tanks at a breeze or bump of the table.

Winterous said...

Agreed, detachable is always the way to go, the flying stands just break too easily from what I've heard.

Also damnit TKE, where's my Necron goss?

TheKing Elessar said...

Silence minion, I've been busy! lol

Lauby said...

Thanks for the response.

Un-glued it is.

-John

TheKing Elessar said...

Ne pas une probleme, any time. :D

Unknown said...

Never glue 'em, I've learnt that from Necron Destroyer bases!

Though they are damn annoying when they aren't a snug fit and the ship moves around. I don't bother with mine tbh.

Disclaimer.

Primarily, a blog to discuss the Games Workshop system Warhammer 40k, though not exclusively so. All GW IP used without permission, no challenge intended.

Pretty much everything here is my opinion. If you don't like my opinion, you are welcomed to say so. If you don't like me, but like my opinion, feel free to say so. If you don't like me or my opinion, I don't need to hear it. Why even visit?