Tuesday 20 April 2010

TKE has a Sad.

Got 3 games in today.  First game was a training game, my opponent has literally started a few weeks ago, and I gave her advice throughout (a girl?! I know!!)  Anyway...yeah, she did okay, I got a win 3-1 on Seize Ground in the end, game done, bleh.  Not an issue.


Game two wasn't in GW like the last (stupid 4' x 4' boards...) this one was at QUB Dragonslayers (stupid 5'x4' boards! lol)  Twas the final round of our ongoing Escalation League, and I rolled into a  1500 game (oddly the first at the high a points level, long story...) with my 1500 list.

Autarch; w/ Fusion Gun

5 Dragons w/ Serp [SCan]
5 Dragons w/ Serp [SCan]

5 Avengers w/ Serp [Lance, Scan]
5 Avengers w/ Serp [Lance, Scan]
5 Avengers w/ Serp [EML, Scan]
5 Avengers w/ Serp [EML, Scan]


Prism
Prism


{I just now realised I played both the EMLs as Lances - it had no impact, but was cheating.  Going to have to apologise to Myk...}

Anyway, he had 2 Meltaguns and a Combi-Melta in his army.  I expected to trash him, and was probably overconfident.  I know I was feeling bad, because clearly my list should have few issues, and I think I was sloppy because of this.  I also think he won largely because of something I thought was a mistake, the position he Deep Struck Abaddon and his Terminators...but no matter.  Even if it was a mistake, he played very well, and fully deserved the win.  Net result was that I was eliminated from the league, as it now cuts to Top 8, and single elims.  (The failure to table the Tau player last week proving pretty damn important after all.)

Still though, much as this grates with me it's not the main issue.  After this game finished I played Ray (of THIS post 'fame') and I'm not sure he had as much fun in the game as I...I thought he played fine, not great, but certainly not terribly - and I went on to table him, largely because I insisted on playing the last turn, even though he had to go home (admittedly, I was in quite a hurry to go home too, but I thought he was beating me on KPs at that point [working it out now, it was a tie] and I really didn't want to lose.)  Well, I wanted to win.  I could have lived with a draw fine - but it doesn't matter.  Point is, he's a friend, and I was a bit of a dick by doing that.

Sorry Ray.  :(

8 comments:

kennedy said...

Dude, we all have our moments like this. It's the nature of being a human, and thus, imperfect.

At least you have the balls to admit it, which may help you avoid it in the future.

Regardless, how do you play on a frickin' 5' by 4'? I sometimes feel cramped on a 6' by 4' lol.

Dethtron said...

yeah i have an 8x4 board in the basement to accomodate larger games. We usually block off 2 feet on one side for reserves books and casualties, but sometimes use the space. Playing on a cramped board sucks. Especially with objective missions. When you can conga-line a tactical squad across 2 objectives, you know something has gone terribly wrong. good thing I've got 3 friends coming over this weekend which mean- double 4x4 boards :(

HolyCause said...

I love 8x4 boards. Not for playing, but so everyone has space to store their stuff like "the dead pile" or carrying cases. My flgs' back room is rather cramped so either one table gets filled with everyone's crap or it clutters up the floor resulting in the inevitable word not able to be uttered in front of small children due to tripping or smashed models (someone stepped on one of my land speeders :(

5x4 or 4x4 boards are hilarious with slow as piss units like c'tan because they actually reach their target sometimes. Other than that... too damn cramped.

TheGraveMind said...

I'd rather have a 5x4 than a 6x5. I play on those occasionally at a lgs. One time we forgot to mark off that extra foot.... half way through the game I'm wondering why my cc units arn't in combat yet. sigh.

Xaereth said...

Hm, yeah it's tough when you lose to a list that you feel like if you had played more skillfully you would have beat.

A similar thing happened to me at Adepticon this year against a foot-slogging eldar player with ZERO S8 weapons (against my mech guard w/ 12 vehicles). I got over-confidant and greedy, and ended up getting owned for it, somehow. He was a good player for sure and deserved the win- but it still rankled.

Just gotta learn not to get overconfident. Happens to the best of us (lol, probably more often to the 'best' of us).

Unknown said...

I play on a 5 x 4 board at my home and it can be a little cramped with the larger armies i.e Tyranids and mech guard. Usually I play on 6 x 4 tables which is enough for 2k games, which is what level I play at.

TKE you cannot win evrything and it's the part taking count. Sometimes scoring a table victory is fun, but sometimes it can look cocky - if you've already won or the guy said he's gotta go it can just wind people up. But hey-ho I guess no harm done and at least you can hold you hand up and say.

TheKing Elessar said...

Thanks for commenting. We were playing 1500, so 5x4 wasn't a huge issue, although given that he DS'd Abaddon, a Lord and 4 LC Khorne Termie Champs into play, I actually could have taken a 4' x 4', in hindsight! lol

As Stelek hasn't replied to my offer of presenting it as a BatRep, I think I'll put it up here in a few days and illustrate how I cocked up. If anyone else can learn from my mistakes, so much the better - and you guys can let me know if you think he cocked up too, or if I am wrong on that.

Anonymous said...

Don't worry TKE, I played like an absolute 'tard at the weekend and managed a win, 2 draws and a loss! I was so proud!

The most frustrating part is that I knew about 3 seconds after every decision it was the wrong one.

At least I beat some eldar ass into submission on monday night though!

A batrep would be great! Don't let the big man always get the glory!

Disclaimer.

Primarily, a blog to discuss the Games Workshop system Warhammer 40k, though not exclusively so. All GW IP used without permission, no challenge intended.

Pretty much everything here is my opinion. If you don't like my opinion, you are welcomed to say so. If you don't like me, but like my opinion, feel free to say so. If you don't like me or my opinion, I don't need to hear it. Why even visit?