Monday 28 June 2010

I'll put up plus points first.

But, I'll edit them in, as I'm sleepy.  Until then, my teammate and I finished 13th, for starting 27 teams (that showed Day 1, with 5 who paid but did not come :S ) with 3W,  2 draws and a Loss.  Guys drew us first game second day came 2nd, so that wasn't bad - but, like I said, many times before - Doubles is NOT how you should play 40k in a 'Tournament', and it was truly shitty.  There is no tactical element beyond deployment (if going second) when the opponent is less than 4' away, and you have to say out loud what you think in order to convince your teammate you actually have a strategy in mind, your moves are not random.

And, holy fuck, was time ever an issue.  I think we got to turn 5 twice.

But, this post is for positives, so...

[To be Edited Later]

[Continuing it now...]

Plus points, in bullet form...


  • I liked the room, spacious, airy, bright, full of sunshine.

  • The location, as in, choice of room within the building, was also quick and easy to access, which especially helped the Sunday, with Registration at ten, and the building opening at ten also.  You may be aware, I also had some slight issues with a certain lower body joint prior to the event.  lol

  • Most games seemed to be played with an excellent camaraderie and fun spirit.

  • It was nice to see a bunch of friends all weekend, some more than others, of course.  lol

  • Met some great guys and good players I didn't know before, which is always excellent.

  • Quality of painting was generally high, where models were actually finished.  Some of the omissions for 'Best Painted' nomination were as odd as the inclusion of the Tau/Eldar army, lol.  :p (It wasn't fully painted, and the owners were even more surprised than anyone.  lol.  Conspiracy theorists may suggest it was because they were the only Xenos players not using Orks? ) [Chris' converted Pre-Heresy Ravenwing weren't anywhere near fully painted either, but were also nominated, strangely...{though they did look good, as did the Eldar/Tau}]

  • Some conversions were truly epic, and some of my favourites will get posted here sooner or later.

  • Prizes being given out for 6 awards in total (Col Shaeffer, Emperor's Champion, Best Painted, 3rd, 2nd, Best General) was good, though not all of them equalled or surpassed the £34 it cost each player to attend, and no-one could really have made a profit on the weekend.  That's not why we play, but it would be nice, no?

  • I now have a definite, confirmed opinion on the very concept of Doubles.  lol

  • I think I slightly learned a little from one of the losses about my playing Marines.  Two of the losses, perhaps.  I also learned from our first victory, so overall my Marine-playing ability will hopefully have improved as a result.  Not that it couldn't have done so from simply playing warm-up games...

  • I actually like Kill Points so much more in comparison.

  • I think a few players learnt a lot more about exactly how 5e works, and, without wanting to take credit for their achievements in ANY way - several players I have attempted to improve the general play and understanding of the system of did very well.  Better than me, it must be said.  Don't misinterpret though - they are in no way pupils or disciples of me, lol.  Just friends I want to see do well and if my attempts to help have in any way managed that, then great.


Think that pretty much covers it.  Next up, the much longer negative list...

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Sorry I haven't read your article yet :P. Will get to it this week in between painting breaks.

Sorry to hear your doubles didn't go well :(.

Redguard said...

Yeah, well I anticipated that this would be the case i.e. not enough time for games. I was the guy who won the event last year when it was a solo tournament.

This doubles thing just does not work - 2000 in 2 hours...

TheKing Elessar said...

Yeah, 2k is a stretch for 2 hours anyway, especially when there are so many slow players - but, with a list like ours, we were forced to try and play even faster than usual to compensate, because we needed as many turns as we could get. Sometimes we needed one more than we eventually got.

Drunkbobnopants said...

My team came last and mainly because of time issues. One game went too long and we lost by a kill point and were not allowed to have our return turn, we went 2nd. Another game where we picked 2nd, could've grabbed 2 objectives to contest for a win, again were not allowed to have our turn. Which bugged me since other games continued up to 20mins after ours. ??? 2hrs at 2000pts against so many guard players is just plain idiocy in a tournament setting. If they do a doubles tourney again I'll be a happy spectator. That being said the games I had were fun.

Gmorts Chaotica said...

If my opponent gets a turn then I'd bloody well expect to get mine in return. Especially if that turn got them another Kill Point or Objective.

Drunkbobnopants said...

Yeah, kinda leaves a bad taste in your mouth...

ItsPug said...

If your opponent wants another turn and there may not be enought, wip out a camera, take photos of the table or keep a record of the number of kill points before the start of the game turn. If you don't get your turn due to lack of time you keep the result as of the last full game turn. Thats how I'd play it anyway.

Bad luck TKE, although I hear there was one player there who was less impressed with his team mate, can't remember his name - thin guy, short hair, glasses, played a very nice SM list and his teammate had Scythes of the Emperor ;-)

We only had the one problem with time which was against... well i'm sure you can guess.

Oh BTW while checking up on the rules disputes on dakka after reading the codex I came upon a gem of a question - "Being 'boxed out' from contesting the objective." Look Ma - I'm famous!

So when are the battle reps going up?

TheKing Elessar said...

Seriously, is it about you? lol

I want a link!

Working this afternoon, so I plan to try and get them up after work, but I want to watch the Spain match, so it may not then be until Friday, when I'm next off work. :(

ItsPug said...

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/302549.page

Gotta be bout me, two bikes and a landspeeder blocking an objective buried deep in a corner, thats my signature move lol!*

Was planning on making a comment about how awesome that move was and how we should all aspire to be that great but... ;-)

PS if you still want me to do an article I'll do one about squats?

*Not really, my two signature moves are forgetting to deploy units I have in reserve and snatching defeat from the very jaws of victory.

TheKing Elessar said...

Squat thrusts? :/

Hope not...

Will check out that article now. By flaming. lol

Disclaimer.

Primarily, a blog to discuss the Games Workshop system Warhammer 40k, though not exclusively so. All GW IP used without permission, no challenge intended.

Pretty much everything here is my opinion. If you don't like my opinion, you are welcomed to say so. If you don't like me, but like my opinion, feel free to say so. If you don't like me or my opinion, I don't need to hear it. Why even visit?