Saturday 22 October 2011

Bury Wargames League - First few Games

Hey,

Just a quick post to cover my first few league 'games' if you can deign call them that.

The first game was against an extremely derp Tau list, run by a total scrub - who despite being in the League didn't really know the rules, his list, how to play, or (the worst part) how to shower.

List was roughly:

Shas'o w/ Iridium Armour, Shield Gen, CiB, Fusion, HWMT, HWTL, HWDC, Shield Drone
Crisis Team w/ 1 x Flamer, 1 x Missile pod, 3 x Burst Cannons, 1 x Fusion Blaster
Stealths x 3 w/ Marker Drone, markerlight
Stealths x 3 w/ Marker Drone, markerlight
12 Fire Warriors w/ markerlight (Devilfish w/ SMS, TA, DP, 1 x Seeker, Decoy Launchers)
12 Fire Warriors w/ Markerlight (Devilfish w/ SMS, TA, DP, 1 x Seeker)
16 Kroot
14 Kroot
8 Gun Drones
Broadside w/ Two Shield Drones

Unsurprisingly, I tabled him in four turns, only losing a Fire Dragon Squad when he rapid fired his entire Firebase at them. After I slagged his Shas'O, Broadside and Crisis Team on T2, I basically just sat in my Transports hitting him with massed S6, trying not to laugh as he assaulted my tanks with Kroot.

He was a scrub, and no, I didn't enjoy it in the slightest - I felt very bad playing him, especially with my mechdar. His army was mostly comprised of Warmachine models proxying in suits, Firewarriors and Kroot, which next to my almost fully painted Eldar army looked incredibly shambolic.

My second game was also incredibad, with the IG player taking yet another Derp list, yet not as horrifyingly bad as the Tau player:

Command Squad w/ Plasma, Master of the Ordnance and Power Weapon
Marbo
Vets in a Chimmy w/ 3 Plasmaguns (Sgt Bastonne)
Vets in a Chimmy w/ 3 Meltaguns
Vets on foot w/ 3 Sniper Rifles and a Heavy Bolter
Penal Legionnaires
Hellhound
Rough Riders
Lemon Rüss Exterminator
Lemon Rüss Vanqüïsher

This guy did know the way his list worked - and was surprisingly good with it, albeit appaling dice on both our parts meant that my Fire Dragons delivered and his firebase was mostly shaken having weathered my S6, S9 and Lancefire.

Lol, well, this also finished with me almost tabling him whilst holding both objectives - with my Farseer having killed off Marbo with it's witchblade and the hellhound having exploded epically, killing off the whole Sniper Vets squad. Having never encountered rough riders before, the game was very interesting, with my Fire Dragons successfully killing the whole squad on the charge after slagging a few of them to death with their Fusion Guns.

I only lost my Fire Dragons again, but I purposefully put them that close to him, so, meh - life goes on.

Due to the silly way the rules work, today I earned 26KPs, 10Obj points and only lost 3KPs myself.

Tomorrow - a post about the ECP.

7 comments:

TheKing Elessar said...

26 to 3? What a lulzy score! haha.

His list is, definitely, very bad. Even the Tau are nearly as good.

Death Korps of War said...

Has the Tau player just started playing Tau?? If so, that would explain the crap list.

I only started playing the Tau a few months ago, and thats the sort of list i started with.....mind you i had a hammerhead or 2, and multi trackers on all tanks. Also i went nowhere near the seekers or decoy launchers (decoy launchers especially)
But i had/have no real choice. Couldnt (and still cant) afford to buy anything useful for the tau, so i make do (and it leads to some good games)

If he's been playing them for a while though, why has no one pointed out the Shambolic nature of his list?

Death Korps of War said...

And i also agree, the IG player's list was terrible.

If he was taking sniper vets, he should of had Harker. 6 HB shots are better than 3+3 sniper shots. But its rarely that i would field that.
I'd prefer to take a 50pts SW sniper squad instead of a vet squad with snipers.....if i had to choose of course.
Should have stayed away from Penal Legionnaires too.

And dont mock RR. They have limited uses, and will generally die before they do anything. But against someone whos neverf fought them, they can be quite shocking. No one ever expects a 12" charge range from them.
But i have yet to find a good use for RRs. Still doesnt stop me from taking them in some fun lists though.

And the rest of the list is just, meh, imo.
Definately needs more tanks i'll give him that.

ItsPug said...

I think the IG player thought that snipers and a HB both being long range (-ish) would be ideal for a unit that sits on an objective way the hell away from any actual fighting and as such keeps them safe.

Someone should explain to him though that no matter how close or far you are from a unit they cannot shoot your infantry if they're inside a metal box.

@Death Korps

if you're gonna take snipers take ratlings. and thats a big if.

As for the list itself its not something I would play (nowhere near enough tanks) Vanquisher is just bad, Exterminator is meh because the LRBT is the same price and gives marines the brown trousers effect.

The CCS is having a bit of a split-personality crisis - CC upgrade (ok if you have 10 spare points I know I've done it), close to mid range shooting (close to perfect), and then the MoO (?)

There's about 300-350 points wasted in this list, either on unnecessary upgrades (bastonne) or poor choices (vanquisher), which is a very bad thing at 1500.

Death Korps of War said...

The Vanquisher isint that bad. Its hampered by its BS3 and the lack of blast with the cannon, but it can work. Albeit you have to give it Multi Melta Sponsons and Pask, rising it to 250pts. Quite a lot, but thats the only way it works.

I've used it a few times and its had some good successes, with and without pask and sponsons. But all in all, the lack of an option to make it a blast weapon does limit it quite considerably.

@Pug

Forgot all about the ratlings...lol. Suppose that shows how much i care about the Elite section of the codex, lol.
But i wouldnt use Ratlings unless i had the points to waste on them and had nothing better to buy with it.

But to repeat, the IG player needs more tanks. I field 10, or so. That should be the Benchmark for the Guard....lol

ItsPug said...

Bah - only 10 :)

spending 155 points on a tank that misses half the time and isn't AP1 when it does do damage is a waste.

A manticore is better, up to 3 blasts, strength 10 hitting side armour, and doesn't even need to see the target for 5 points more? its a whole lot better.

Death Korps of War said...

Yes, as a benchmark, 10 should be the minimum. I have 12 vehicles in my list in grand total, but 2 arent tanks.

As said, the VAnquisher is really terrible. But when it hits and destroys something important its always a spectacular moment...lol.

And i wouldnt argue that the Manticore isint better than any russ.

Disclaimer.

Primarily, a blog to discuss the Games Workshop system Warhammer 40k, though not exclusively so. All GW IP used without permission, no challenge intended.

Pretty much everything here is my opinion. If you don't like my opinion, you are welcomed to say so. If you don't like me, but like my opinion, feel free to say so. If you don't like me or my opinion, I don't need to hear it. Why even visit?