Friday 14 October 2011

Yes, I am blatantly cashing in on the fact that Necron pictures have been leaked!

Beasts of War: Necron Ghost ArkHuh? What?  That's correct, a plethora of pictures have been leaked today by the good lads over at http://www.beastsofwar.com/ and clicking that link will reveal all that they have to you, as it did to me, assuming you haven't already seen them.

Open it in another browser though, cos I'm not done talking.



Back?

Okay then - first, I have to give credit too to http://natfka.blogspot.com/ - he's got an excellent article up showing the pics, and, like me, he has ads on his blog, so visiting gives him money, albeit not much.

Let's talk about what we know from the pics and blurbs.


  • Flayed Ones and Immortals are discussed as being Troops, along with Warriors.
  • The aesthetic of Necrons has developed a bit, but is fundamentally the same.  This is of course a plus.
  • Transports, potentially Open-Topped Skimmers - very interesting playstyle change.  Suck it up, whiners.
  • Alternative to that same skiff with a fuck-off cannon underslug.  Looks sweet.
  • Anti-personal weaponry mounted along the hull of said skiff, looks potentially to be a remodelled Gauss Flux Arc - this also makes the underslug more likely to be an anti-tank weapon, although it could be some form of Ordnance.
  • Two different weapon layouts for most units displayed shows ACTUAL options for Necron players.  Some will decry this - if you are one of those people, please swallow bleach.
  • Deathmarks are in NO way inspired by Mass Effect.  Er...Let's not just assume they're snipers though.
  • Lord Special Characters is AWESOME.  Hopefully, the Silent King will have rules too.  Being able to take Assault Squads as Troops in Razorbacks, though, probably not true.  Haters gonna hate.
  • The Doomsday Ark/Ghost Ark is clearly one box, like the Ogre creatures, and the VC Zombie Dragon/Terrorgheist.  This bodes well, and, if you recall, is something they started doing in 40k first, with the Fire Prism/Night Spinner (if we discount the Imperial Guard kits, that have done it for even longer.)
  • Bullet points are fun.
So, Necrons look to be a properly 5e army, though from what we've seen so far there's a serious possibility that they will fall prey to the theoretical issues of Nids, Grey Knights and Dark Eldar, in that Infantry-killing is as easy as pi, with solid, dependable anti-tank much scarcer (a ratio of approximately 1 in 3.14159...)

In further news, it is a not-hugely-well-known fact that several (most? all??) of the Beasts of War guys live in good old Northern Ireland.

At least one of these guys will be playing the new Necrons.

Your magnificent host of this here corner of the webernets ALSO lives in Northern Ireland. ;-)

Ok, talk amongst yourselves...



11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have also posted a few things in my fledgling blog as well.

Some certainly interesting rules rumours, but I don't see them changing the meta that much.

The Lord of Excess said...

Argh ... how ugly (not in a good way) and how so very far from the previous codex they have gone. Looks like the sad rumors are true ... I'm really glad I sold off my Necrons now.

The Lord of Excess said...

Thanks for the post though dang you got this up fast!! LOL!! Good blog keep it up sir!

Death Korps of War said...

hmmm. I once drank bleach. it wasnt fun.........for my mum anyway. Was only a baby when i drank it.

Anyway. Interesting. Very, very interesting. I wonder who is writing the Codex. For some reason i want it to be Cruddace, to see if he goes 2 for 4 on good codexes. Like he only gets even number codexes right. First one, Tyranids (crap according to people), second, Guard (a fine codex for the guard) third, the sisters.....you get the idea

Or to prove Ricks theory, that Ward helped Cruddace work on the Guard codex

Anonymous said...

Matt Ward is writing the Necron 'dex.

TheKing Elessar said...

@Lord of Excess - care to elaborate? :)
And thanks. Lol.


@DKoW - The Nids came after the Imperial Guard. As in, a year and a half later or so.

@Embolden - Will take a look tomorrow. Not sure why you think they won't mix things up a bit though. I don't think, for instance, that it's a coincidence Stelek has been pushing Plasma Cannons lately.

ItsPug said...

Meh, not really fussed about them TBH. As long as they don't change the arms or heads for the warriors I'll be happy. Either that or go buy every box I can find before they update them.

How long until Fuzzbuket "fixes" the necron codex I wonder?

Von said...

Mad props for not just picspamming or linking back to Beasts of War. Content uber alles!

I like the look of these, and I'm impressed at how the 'evil metal space Egyptians' aesthetic is being held up across the range, but... dudes, it's a Xenos release. Its true colours will emerge six months after release when the errata emerge to downplay interest before the next Imperial release. Don't get excited. DON'T GET EXCITED. Remember the Alamo... and the Tyranids.

Anonymous said...

@TKE - I think they've been designed with 6th ed in mind, lots of the rumours I've read have said "weapons that are good against horde" 5th ed has all been about the Mech.

If the codex has been designed for 6th ed, then I don't believe it will rock GKs or DEs boat at the top of the table.

Death Korps of War said...

Really??? For some reason i always thought the Nids were before.

Oh well, scratch another 1 on the "Joes being an idiot" board

Widthofacircle said...

I like them. But enough to drop other projects...?

as yet undecided.

Disclaimer.

Primarily, a blog to discuss the Games Workshop system Warhammer 40k, though not exclusively so. All GW IP used without permission, no challenge intended.

Pretty much everything here is my opinion. If you don't like my opinion, you are welcomed to say so. If you don't like me, but like my opinion, feel free to say so. If you don't like me or my opinion, I don't need to hear it. Why even visit?