Friday 3 February 2012

I Wasn't Always Amazing At 40k.

Just a little 'human interest' piece - the list I took to my first proper tournament, in 4th Edition.  Fifth was released just after the event, or just before...I forget.  Either way, it was played using 4th, since it was the ruleset people were familiar with, though I had barely played since 3rd, almost certainly fewer than 30 games altogether, including the three at the tourny.



Not even sure I had used this exact list previously.  I just used what I felt like playing, with no genuine notion of how to build a functioning, coherent force.  Thankfully, the tournament was the perfect antidote to me writing Craftworld-themed army lists that included dross like Swooping Hawks and Wraithguard, and my genesis into TKE was begun.

Featured at the bottom are shoddy pictures of the original list; both in the note form it was written, including dropped elements like Stikkbomz on my Ard Boyz; and as it was written out for my opponents, carefully annotated, with unit profiles and page references for Special Rules and Wargear, as well as listing upgrades broken down by points for them to check my sums if necessary.  Sigh, naivety can be a lovely thing.

To this day I don't have a clue why we played at 1700 points, it makes absolutely no sense to me, and I'm sure I haven't played it since.  Anyway, the Ork list.

HQ
Wazzdakka Gutsmek - 180
Big Mek;
Burna, Eavy Armour, Force Field, Cybork Body, Attack Squig - 135

ELITES:
10 Tankbustas;
Nob, Eavy Armour, Bosspole. - 170

TROOPS;
12 Warbikes;
Nob, Power Klaw, Bosspole - 340
20 Boyz;
Ard Boyz, Nob, Power Klaw, Bosspole - 240
30 Boyz;
Nob, Bosspole - 195
Deff Dread;
2 Big Shootas, Grot Riggers, Armour Plates - 100

HEAVY SUPPORT;
Deff Dread;
2 Rokkit Launchas, Grot Riggers, Armour Plates - 110

Deff Dread;
2 Rokkit Launchas, Grot Riggers, Armour Plates - 110
Big Gunz;
Zzap Gunz, 6 Extra Krew, Runtherd - 118

Now, I obviously don'rt need to justify the list, given the clear disclaimer at the top, but we can see some proto-redundancy, even if crap, in Heavy Support there.

Posterity hasn't recorded what type of Boyz each unit was, but I can vaguely assert that both were equipped with Shootas.  I'd check, since I haven't exactly painted a lot more Orks since then, and some are still in the same case as they were for this event... But, in case you don't know, I'm currently moving house, and my stuff is all over the show.  [My models, in fact, are heavily impinging on the generosity of a friend in order to ensure I get all my shit out of this place in time...my new room is {literally} half the size.]

Anyway, that's a nice blast from the past.  Perhaps I'll discuss further the process of getting from there to here.



4 comments:

ItsPug said...

I didn't realise you were amazing now... :)

Yeah, I understand where you're coming from. I have to admit I've got better since I started, but I seem to have reached a plateau recently, so I'm busy trying different types of armies to improve my game.

ie playing guard gives me good target priority and little known rules for shooting, but playing blood angels would teach me more about assaults and the tricks you can pull.

uniteallaction said...

If my memory serves me right it was that Q con a few years ago, also this scene has never been stronger with the likes of arkham opening.

TheKing Elessar said...

Agreed Chris.

Tom - while that's true, I personally feel that the increase in the number of 1k tournaments is a backwards step.

Also, yes, it was QCon 2008 I believe, that was the year 5e came out, right?

Death Korps of War said...

@Pug
Ha....play Tau and you will really learn about target priority....lol. Not enough anti-tank weapons, or anti heavy infantry weapons in there to let you focus on anything else...lol

Disclaimer.

Primarily, a blog to discuss the Games Workshop system Warhammer 40k, though not exclusively so. All GW IP used without permission, no challenge intended.

Pretty much everything here is my opinion. If you don't like my opinion, you are welcomed to say so. If you don't like me, but like my opinion, feel free to say so. If you don't like me or my opinion, I don't need to hear it. Why even visit?