Saturday 19 May 2012

The Board Is Set, The Pieces Are Moving...

We come to it at last...the great battle of our time...

SO, I woke up (a while ago actually...thanks alcohol...) knowing that today was the day, and that, yes, getting home at 4am or whatever godawful time it was last night/this morning was a serious error of judgement, despite having been a lot of fun at the time.



At the time of writing, I can't remember if I ever published an article I (half?) wrote on proper tournament preparation - going out drinking then night before was definitely not on the list of "Do's" even if it probably seemed so incongruous a suggestion that it wouldn't have been mentioned at all specifically.

I'm staring at the screen kinda wondering if I'm even 100% sober.  I've a sneaking suspicion I'm not, though I'm certainly more than 50%.  Like the clever chap I am, I left a lovely (or sickly sweet, depending on whether any's physically in my mouth) Powerade energy drink by my bed to help shake the inevitable cloudy and throbbing head - hangovers never troubled me when I was younger, this truly sucks that since I hit 26 I've been subject to this phenomenon my peers have been griping about for, well, a decade in some cases.  It's not like I *never* had one before, but they were the exception.  Would that were still the way of it.

My army is packed, my objective markers are done, though there are only 4 genuine Blood Angel ones...but since my opponents should have at least one of their own, it'll be fine, and I have a Scythes of the Emperor one as stand-by...my turrets, tanks, speeders and infantry are in the case, although I have to fill in for a squad with Khorne Berzerkers cos I never got building the last unit I'll need.  That's the result of 'last minute' changing an AutoLas for a 6th Razor squad, which I definitely think was the correct choice.  My vehicles also don't have HKMs or Dozers like the lit says, but who bothers with that shit anyway?  Maybe if GW provided a nice handy Rhino-chassis Dozer in one of the kits for me to throw money at and get myself...

Speaking of throwing money at things, have you all seen my LasPlas turrets?

I'm pretty pleased with the results overall, though paying for a Baal Predator turret for nearly each vehicle in the army, then getting my hands on the Baneblade Lascannon (best proportioned for this) and using an unceremonious glob of Green Stuff to hold them in place...Well, it's not for the faint of heart.  Still, I think they look pretty decent, and when they're painted, hopefully awesome.

I have only got 4 Craters, bizarrely - I don't know where all the others have gotten to, but hopefully they weren't erroneously left at Arkham one week, months ago now of course, and I simply didn't realise...between spare large Blast markers, small Blast markers, and flying bases, I have plenty, though I will also have some cardboard in the toolbag.

Oh, I haven't got printed FAQs, cos I simply couldn't be arsed to be honest.  Reckon if I take my laptop, with it having all the FAQs on it (and I'm sure I can interwebs successfully...) then that's gotta count.  Anyway, maybe there won't be any rules issues, and can leave it at home.

...

Nah, just kidding! :p  Laptop bag, where are youuuu?

My Predator Sponsons will be blu-tak'd in place, cos that's how I roll until I get some better magnets.

Um...that's it, I reckon.  Dice, tape measures, codex, brb, templates...BREAKFAST!!!!

I'll be tweeting throughout the day, so hit me up on ye olde Twitter-machine, or, if not that way inclined, it appears at the top of the blog beneath my banner, so call back a few times and have a gander at my progress or lack thereof.

What's that? I haven't published the list yet?  Well, shit.

HQ1: Librarian; Shield of Sanguinius, Sanguine Sword, Infernus Pistol - 115pts
HQ2: Librarian; Shield of Sanguinius, Sanguine Sword, Infernus Pistol - 115pts
ELITE1: Sanguinary Priest; Power Weapon - 65
ELITE2: Sanguinary Priest; Power Weapon - 65
TROOPS1: Assault Squad; 5-men, Meltagun - 110 [Transport1]
TROOPS2: Assault Squad; 5-men, Meltagun - 110 [Transport2]
TROOPS3: Assault Squad; 5-men, Meltagun - 110 [Transport3]
TROOPS4: Assault Squad; 5-men, Meltagun - 110 [Transport4]
TROOPS5: Assault Squad; 5-men, Meltagun, Infernus Pistol {on Sergeant} - 125 [Transport5]
TROOPS6: Assault Squad; 5-men, Meltagun, Infernus Pistol {on Sergeant} - 125 [Transport6]
FAST ATTACK1: Land Speeder Squadron; 1 Land Speeder, Multi-Melta, Heavy Flamer - 70
FAST ATTACK2: Land Speeder Squadron; 1 Land Speeder, Multi-Melta, Heavy Flamer - 70
FAST ATTACK3: Land Speeder Squadron; 1 Land Speeder, Multi-Melta, Heavy Flamer - 70
HEAVY SUPPORT1: Predator; Autocannon, Lascannons, Dozer Blade - 140
HEAVY SUPPORT2: Predator; Autocannon, Lascannons, Dozer Blade - 140

TRANSPORT1: Razorback; Lascannon, Twin-Linked Plasmagun, Dozer Blade - 60
TRANSPORT2: Razorback; Lascannon, Twin-Linked Plasmagun, Dozer Blade - 60
TRANSPORT3: Razorback; Lascannon, Twin-Linked Plasmagun, Dozer Blade - 60
TRANSPORT4: Razorback; Lascannon, Twin-Linked Plasmagun, Dozer Blade - 60
TRANSPORT5: Razorback; Twin-Linked Heavy Flamer, Hunter-Killer Missile, Dozer Blade - 35
TRANSPORT6: Razorback; Twin-Linked Heavy Flamer, Hunter-Killer Missile, Dozer Blade - 35


See you on the other side!

4 comments:

Von said...

So... is there any aspect in which you're 100% prepared, to your own satisfaction?

And will you STILL be more prepared than half the people there?

Widthofacircle said...

Good luck Tke!

My last tourney I was very hungover too... :)

Venerable Brother said...

Good luck dude...I'm sure the hangover will aid you more than hinder you... or not
Oh, Baal Pred turrets for LasPlas? Ace.

TheKing Elessar said...

@Von - yes. I had more than enough dice. Alas, I lost some during the course of things. :( I also went with sufficient Craters (which would have been hypocritical not to, following my article not so long back) and more than enough varied Templates.

I was more prepared than some, for certain.

@Venerable Brother - thanks, I think they look pretty great, and they certainly got a few positive remarks. I've no doubt they'd have got a lot more if they were actually painted instead of merely basecoated. Oh well. getting a '6' for my Painting Score was a delightful surprise, out of 20 though it was (iirc.)

Appreciate the wishes of luck, and if anything the hangover helped...In that things went downhill when I had recovered...

Disclaimer.

Primarily, a blog to discuss the Games Workshop system Warhammer 40k, though not exclusively so. All GW IP used without permission, no challenge intended.

Pretty much everything here is my opinion. If you don't like my opinion, you are welcomed to say so. If you don't like me, but like my opinion, feel free to say so. If you don't like me or my opinion, I don't need to hear it. Why even visit?