Sunday 20 May 2012

We Cannot Hope To Achieve Victory Through Strength of Arms!

Not for ourselves, no.  But we can give Frodo his chance!

So, after a quite magnificent start, if I do say so myself, I was leading the pack going into game three.  Two 19-1 wins, over another Blood Angels force and over Dark Eldar Venomspam (you should have SEEN how bad the table would have been if I'd not asked for more terrain to be placed...I'd have won in 2 turns...) saw me set up as the player to beat, for TO and entrant Jonny65.

Unfortunately, after a truly titanic clash, Jonny managed to destroy my last contesting Razor in turn 7 with Paladins in Assault, and the game went from a tie (think it would have been a very rare 10-10 actually, need to double-check...) to a decisisve 16-4 win for him.  Actually, that means it would probably have been 12-8.  I made a couple notable mistakes in the game, including forgetting to Smoke a Stunned Razor for the second consecutive game.  Irritating as hell, really.

I could put the loss down to inexperience (while I've played both Henchmen and Purifiers, I've never played a list that is terribly close to that one) but honestly that would be a disservice to us both.  Now, I can ascribe my loss more accurately to the inherent resilience of his list, and a couple of foolish errors, both in deployment, and in my opening moves.

Well, onwards and upwards, hopefully! Last two games starting soonish, so back to War!

2 comments:

Jonny65 said...

Seriously long game dude! It wasn't helping that for the first few turns you couldn't hit anything, and I could hit things but couldn't hurt them. I think that if you're going to consistently roll like that with your lascannons, you might be better off with the twin-linked version ;-) And while rolling a '1' to pen (on the rare occasions you do manage to hit) is entertaining for your opponents, it's probably detrimental to your tournament score, and something you should aim to cut down on. :p

Regarding our rules argument about moving as far as you can with your assault move, and not hanging back with a couple of guys to be near the priest, we were sorta both right. You were right by the rule book, I was right by the ETC clarifications. Feckin Eurotwats!

TheKing Elessar said...

hahaha, indeed! If I remember rightly I rolled a '1' to Penetrate Razorbacks on 4 separate occasions...:s

Honestly, that had happened so long before the end of the game that I'd forgotten it! Lol.

Indeed, the ETC saw fit to change the rules there too? Sigh. Well, I guess I'll know next time I have to play that rule by a different way...I will just have to move the squad better in the Movement Phase.

Still annoying though.

Oh, and - we're never playing that long a game again! :P

Disclaimer.

Primarily, a blog to discuss the Games Workshop system Warhammer 40k, though not exclusively so. All GW IP used without permission, no challenge intended.

Pretty much everything here is my opinion. If you don't like my opinion, you are welcomed to say so. If you don't like me, but like my opinion, feel free to say so. If you don't like me or my opinion, I don't need to hear it. Why even visit?