Wednesday 14 July 2010

The Forum Paradigm





In my introductory post here I mentioned having trouble with coming up with ideas for articles, so imagine my joy when one just jumped at me. In the Eldar Tactica thread over at Warseer there was a bit of a row when TKE and Kuolema came along, low post counts and all, and had the audacity to make the outrageous claim that Howling Banshees were crap and that dedicated close-combat units had no place in a competitive Eldar army. Or at least that’s what I think was going on. I stopped reading after the quote-wars took off. Eventually the 8,000+ posts monster of a thread was locked by a moderator to investigate reported posts. As I said, I’d stopped reading so I don’t know whether or not that was called for, but I don’t really care, because that’s not what this is about.



TKE’s query on why the thread was locked, however, got me thinking. Around and about the 40k blog world there seems to be a consensus that forums are pretty much worthless, something I’m not completely disagreeing with. There is quite a lot of crap advice and shitty ideas floating around on forums that are considered the Lord’s Gospel by a lot of the posters. But why is this?

I think this has a lot to do with what I call the Forum Paradigm: Eloquent explanations with crap conclusions trump poor explanations with good conclusions.

Let’s take an example; TKE posted a while back a list of what he sees as good and bad in the Eldar codex. The list of bad units got, predictably, rather long. For most of you reading this there was nothing that particularly stood out and it was all rather uncontroversial. Right? Not in forum-land. This particular blog-post has been picked up and “dissected” by tactical geniuses. By dissected, of course, I mean listed “reasons” why the units are actually quite good. Along with a good old argumentum ad hominem and the ever-popular argumentum ad populum; the vast majority of all Eldar players can’t possibly be wrong, can they? So, let’s review this scathing condemnation of TKE’s abilities as an Eldar player and his personal failure to “get the best out of these diamonds in the rough.”

Avatar – WHAT? Do you even play? The Avatar is one of the biggest components to a solid mixed Eldar list (sic). Blah-blah-blah, I win all the time etc etc.

Note the lack of any actual arguments. Instead we get the accepted fallacy that anecdotal evidence trumps reading ability. Then, of course, there’s the implied statement that mixed Eldar lists are not only viable, they are also highly competitive. As long as you include an Avatar, of course.

Obviously, most of you will immediately call bullshit on this, but for those of you about to buy an Avatar, thinking it will make your army the shiznit, here’s why it blows:

Target saturation. There’s a finite amount of anti-tank weapons and there’s a finite amount of anti-infantry weapons in your opponent’s army. So, if you’re completely meched-up your opponent’s anti-infantry weapons are worthless until your tanks are down. If you’re mixed, everything in your opponent’s army has a good target. And while this is not an instant auto-lose, it makes shit harder for you. Which, with an aging codex, you really don’t need. And aren’t we talking about competitive armies, anyway? So why are you making things more difficult for yourself? If you’re so good that you’re creaming everyone you play, why are you even reading this? Oh, and for those of you smart-arses who are thinking “what about going all infantry, then? That way all the opponent’s anti-tank will be wasted!” Fuck off over to BoLS.

Moving on, we’re treated to this gem of wisdom:

Howling Banshees – They wipe out a unit of Marines on average in one round, and the can have Counter Assault for 5 points. They play the same roll (sic) in a Mech list that Scorpions play in Mixed, and to be honest I use them both in my 2k list to excellent effect. (TKE’s list on bad Eldar armies) excludes (sic?) every single melee unit except Seer Councils that are better at shooting than assaults. Really?

Yes. Really.

Can anyone spot the big, glaring rookie mistake here? You can? Brilliant. You’re now officially smarter than Warseer.

I’d go on about why Banshees are crap, despite their AWESOME ANTI-MARINE SUPER POWERS, but apparently TKE is writing something about them specifically (and now he’ll have to) and I don’t want to steal his thunder.

Instead, I’ll get back to talking about the Forum Paradigm. Specifically, how it affected me.

When I was a young strappin’ lad of 13, 3rd edition was released with a bang and I got tricked into 40k by a friend in school. It was all very nice, much fun was had, but I was an absolutely terrible 40k player. I had no idea what I was doing and an army list had nothing to do with winning games, it was merely a list of the stuff I owned. Then, a few years down the road, I discovered Portent.net (which later turned into Warseer), a forum which had a tremendous impact on my 40k skill level. I was no longer crap at 40k, I became mediocre. But that was where it stopped. I remained mediocre for a long time. Until I discovered YTTH, Fritz and that pack of thugs. Shortly after, I had developed into a bona fide good 40k player. I’m not the best, and I don’t really care about that, but I’m at the top tables in tournaments, and when I play with other good players the games are close and interesting. Awesome. Right? WRONG! According to forum-land I’m having fun wrong! But that’s another article for another time.

So why are the forums arresting development at the mediocre stage? Take a look at that argument in favour of Howling Banshees again. What’s going on there? You can’t really argue with what’s being said, can you? After all, Banshees will destroy Marines in close combat. And you want to kill Marines, right? Of course you do. But wouldn’t you rather win games?

And that’s where the competitive blogs differ from forum-land. No one cares about killing Marines with your Eldar; there are a thousand other ways to do that. Or you could just ignore them and tank shock the little fuckers off objectives. Killing the Land Raiders they drive around in, however, is another kettle of tea entirely. There’s pretty much only one Eldar unit which does that with any semblance of reliability. Wanna guess which unit that is? But then you’d be spamming, and that’s a vital part of having fun wrong!

So, what happens at blogs then? Well, you have someone who knocks about telling you what’s great and what’s shit in a cohesive, over-all manner. Doesn’t get bogged down in mini-games within the game and useless “but then I do that”-theoryhammer. And if he’s talking out of his arse, people stop visiting his blog (unless the blog has become an unstoppable monster of footslogging space elves wielding electric and/or diesel powered gardening equipment, obviously). On a forum you just have a bunch of up-until-recently crap players who think it’s perfectly reasonable to blame their humiliating defeat to the fat guy with the Nob Bikers on dairy products. And then twenty other scrubs come along and chime in about how that douchebag in their local club/store/prison also creams everyone with his Nob Bikers. There can only be one conclusion; Nob Bikers are destroying the game! Awesome. Right? RIGHT! Now you’re having fun right!

Oh, hang on...

PS: I’d like to pre-empt you fickle lot with your negativity; I’m well aware that a certain blog disrupts my entire “what’s wrong with forums”-line by personifying it to the last letter in their hilarious “articles.” Well, most of them anyway.

15 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, forgot that there was a guest author now. Until I got to the bottom and read 'posted by Thud' I thought TKE was speaking (typing?) in the 3rd person. lol

Anyway, good rant!

MasterDarksol said...

Well put, Thud. I'm not a fan of 'forum opinion' either, as I find it mostly doesn't correlate to success on the table for me.

As far as Banshees go, I agree. I was big on their use some time ago when I used to take forum consensus as law. At some point I started actually noticing that I never really saw their potential realized, points-wise (and especially given the competing options for the same org slot). I don't think given what I know now, that I would call them competitive. ...though I do use them in the occasional friendly/fluff game. ;)

Unknown said...

Compeletely agree Thud. I love how forums basically accept trolling and opinionated views yet police their rules quite savagely (though I haven't found Warseer that bad, I've directed my fair share of insults).

What I love about the good blogs out there, even if they aren't touting to be the best possible (i.e. Fritz), they explain the why. The ins and the outs. What shits me more than anything else is someone replying (specifically Anons) without actually analysising or rebutting what has been said or going into "you do this but I counter with this" crap. Yay for theoryhammer rather than knowing the game.

I gave up on Eldar long ago on warseer. Too many 'old hats' who think they know better. Tau was pretty easy to assert some semblance of order over (especially with my side kick of AbusePuppy :P), same with Space Marines when GWvsJohn wasn't busy (though we fought tooth and nail against idiocy). But ya...forums have so much potential but the community mindset just seems oddly skewed.

This reply did have a point...

Oh ya, where the hell was my plug Thud!?

TheKing Elessar said...

I think you are just jealous Mind War is the new Black and Bone. :p

I thought it an excellent article great fun to read. :)

@Eric - Third person? TKE likes this idea...

Thud (hopefully) will become a fixture here, or a part of the furniture you get used to, and work a groove in...er...yep. *Ahem*

bhsman said...

After reading this blog post, I wonder if there's something to be said for a 'blog paradigm' as well.

ItsPug said...

The problem is taking anybody's advice as gospel, especially in todays age when everyone has access to a computer and feels obligated to share their 'wisdom' to the masses, is pure stupidity. for example TKE gave me some advice on putting meltas in my Guard infantry squads to disuade Tank Shocks, (I wasn't using special weapons in the squads at the time) and I ended up doing it. But before I did, I thought about it, used my own intelligence to weigh up the pros and cons. Some people don't do this, its almost as if they want someonelse to do their thinking for them.

There is one simple answer to all of this though... take everything you read on the internet with a pinch of salt (or more in some cases). I would consider that just common sense really.*

I lurk on many forums and have gained bits and pieces of information from many, but I do consider myself intelligent enough to sort the diamonds from the rough, whereas some people online, both on forums and on blogs, either aren't or don't seem to want to be.

*Although having lurked on many forums I can say that common sense is no longer all that common

Death Korps of War said...

i see what your saying, and i have to agree. loads of people just like to 'Theoryhammer' and that really annoyed me.

sure i've done a bit of theoryhammer myself, (and really who hasnt?)but i learned very early on that it doesnt really matter what you bring to the table (of course that has a little to do with it) it just matters on how you play with these units, and more importantly, how much luck you can bring to the table.

another thing, i stay away from those those parts of the forums, 1 they bore me and you mentioned the other reasons. i mostly stick to the Painting and Modelling threads....they at least have something good to show for themselves once in a while.

Anonymous said...

You know what, I'm going to go against the consensus here and say I love forums and would never be here if it wasn't for them.

Bolter & Chainsword was how I took my fascination of plastic knights to the next level and got my balls out and played some 40k. But, the bad advice was there. I was advised BT assault marines were T3H B35T35T! So I bought some. And you know what, they worked. once!

I now know the limitations of forums, but have some people who I would consider 'friends' there and always have a laugh (a real one) when I go there. Yeah, the list-building advice is often far from sound, but that's not why I go.

With regards to moderating, I think B&C has a pretty transparent policy and Im my experience is pretty fair.

I can't say much about Dakka/BoLS/Warseer, I went there a little bit in the early days and I just didn't dig-it. I'm glad I didn't get dragged into the fail.

Nice post Thud!

TheKing Elessar said...

Were it not for the influence of Pojo.biz on my early YGO 'career', and to an extent lurking Dakka a little before really taking the plunge and becoming a feature of Heresy, I wouldn't be the popular hate figure I am today.

In that sense, I love Forums.

Iggy said...

My major issue was that Kuolema could be so forceful in his/her opinions without experience to back up those claims. You had a player basically berrating a unit they never used, in an army that they no longer played. Ah well, old news :)

It was a sad sight that the thread was temporarily locked, but rightly so. Glad it's back.

Bartali said...

Apologies, it may have been me that kick started the banshees are crap discussion. I'm terrible at starting a discussion, but then can't be arsed when the tl;dr multi-quote posts without a point come

TheKing Elessar said...

Well, it is a discussion well worth having, IMO.
Not all shit units are obviously so - Banshees are more a victim of their own success.
Almost. Lol

Kuolema said...

Iggy for the 100th time, I used banshees, the only unit I called crap that I've never used are D-cannon support platforms. Which well, are crap.

TMiles001 said...

Thankfully I managed to avoid the whole forum scene and migrated striaght onto the blogs...

And ItsPug is spot on - think for yourself. Even when I ask someones opinion, it doesn't mean I am then going to just blindly do whatever they recommend. I will weigh up their reasoning against my own thoughts, balance it against my needs in the list (which the local meta plays a big role in) and proceed to totally ignore whatever it was that they said... :p

TMiles001 said...

Didn't he give you a plug in the post script there Kirby?... ;)

Actually - I am interested to know which blog you were talking about there Thud (even if just for a laugh...). I don't think I have ever stumbled across it before (I don't get to spend as much time in blog land as I would like - and as such have to be selective)...

Disclaimer.

Primarily, a blog to discuss the Games Workshop system Warhammer 40k, though not exclusively so. All GW IP used without permission, no challenge intended.

Pretty much everything here is my opinion. If you don't like my opinion, you are welcomed to say so. If you don't like me, but like my opinion, feel free to say so. If you don't like me or my opinion, I don't need to hear it. Why even visit?