Sunday 2 May 2010

mDz said...(Rules inquiry)

"While on the subject of you being awesome ( and because you play Eldar apparently...), I happen to have a question that needs answering. What happens to the contents of a Wave Serpent, when it turboboosts and subsequently gets Wrecked/Explodes...?"



Well, this one is a question I've never actually come up in a game, so there exists the possibility that I've been playing the rules wrong.  With that in mind, I had to go and look again.  I started with the 'Destroyed - Wrecked' rules on page 67.  These tell us that "The passengers must immediately disembark and then take a pinning test." No issues here, simple enough to understand...but what if they CANNOT?


Well, let's look at WHY they might not - page 70 of the BRB tells us "Passengers may not embark onto or disembark from a fast vehicle if it has moved (or is going to move) flat out in that Movement phase."  Hrmmm.  So, there's a timing issue there, it's possible that passengers could be forced out, which seems to counter this rule.  Have GW made provision for this?  Page 67 has - "Any models that cannot disembark are destroyed."  Ah.  awk-ward.  Okay...that doesn't look promising for the Serpent's passengers...wait, hang on...


*Sigh of relief* - I forgot all about the definition of 'turn' on page 9.  "Whenever a rule uses the word 'turn', both in this rule book and in the Codexes, it means 'player turn' otherwise will clearly state 'game turn'."  This clearly indicates that if a Flat Out vehicle is Wrecked in it's own turn, ie, the player turn the guys inside Embarked, then the guys inside, lamentably, are destroyed.  If, however, they are shot down in the opponent's turn they get out the access point, and take a Pinning test.  If they can't get out an access point?  Then we refer to the emergency disembarkation rule on page 67.


Hope that resolves the issue for anyone having problems! :D


And, now, some music.

6 comments:

kennedy said...

Hrm... SO I guess I played it wrong the one time it's ever come up for me. I rammed something with a Wave Serpent moving flat out. Guys were still inside. I didn't do anything to the tank I rammed, but it wrecked me.

Well, I really should have looked in the book, but I assumed it was like other wrecks. However, those guardians died anyways, so it didn't change the game. Good to know though.

TheKing Elessar said...

lol. Funny, I doubt I'd ever do it with a Scoring Unit still inside... :p

TheKing Elessar said...

The links aren't too well hidden in that post, are they? lol Blue text, not the best idea, perhaps.

mDZ said...

Thanks, I knew you wouldn't let me down :)

Dethtron said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYT2aWavXlc

Unknown said...

That kennedy, is why you never ram witha useful tank! lol

First ever game of 5th I rammed with my shaken Falcon (you know, w/HF). It died. A rhino killed it o.O.

Disclaimer.

Primarily, a blog to discuss the Games Workshop system Warhammer 40k, though not exclusively so. All GW IP used without permission, no challenge intended.

Pretty much everything here is my opinion. If you don't like my opinion, you are welcomed to say so. If you don't like me, but like my opinion, feel free to say so. If you don't like me or my opinion, I don't need to hear it. Why even visit?