Thursday 24 March 2011

Learning to Love Losing

In order to be a Competitive Player of this game, this is a skill you require.
In order to be a non-Competitive player of this game, this is a skill you require.
In order, basically, to not be a dickhead - this is a skill you require.

No-one LIKES losing, in of itself, of course.  It's ingrained in our genes - feeling like a failure isn't something any of us set out with the ambition to do, and it hurts.

However, losing is simply the best way to learn.  If you steamroll all your opponents with your list, then find better opponents, or tweak your list slightly.  Maybe they are intimidated by your army/reputation? Swap armies.  Mix it up.  Hell, buy a new army, whatever.



If you never find yourself taxed in games then you will not only never improve, you will probably stagnate and get worse.  When a player eventually DOES come along who is better than you (and it will happen eventually, unless you quit first) you will be the one getting rolled...and you will almost certainly be a bad loser from your lack of familiarity with it.

Often in my articles, I have a thought and segue off into a tangent loosely connected to something I just said.  I'm trying to cut down on that rambling a bit, but this must be said - a LOT of Comp-based environments stem from this sort of thing.  People who think they are awesome get a harsh slap of reality in the face, and react in the wrong way.

If you lose, the first thing you must look to blame isn't the dice, isn't the system, isn't the opponent, isn't their 'cheesy' army, the weather, the alignment of the stars, or even your horror over the worst song ever [thanks a LOT Rebecca Black, I will never get those 3 minutes back...]

Blame YOURSELF.

And then, be a fucking adult, and deal with it.

Sure, any or all of those could be factors in your defeat.

However, the list one is also YOUR fault, not theirs.  If someone takes a more competitive list than you, and you don't think that is 'fair' somehow, then you should have revised your expectations at the outset of the game.  Even if, in your arrogance, you didn't bother to read their list before the game began, you should have THOUGHT at Deployment.

If it's a friendly game, no-one is forcing you to play if you KNOW your list isn't able to compete, and you can't stand losing.  In a Tournament game? Man the fuck up, dicksack.  If you're playing a sub-par list in a Tourny, then you shouldn't expect to win every game.  I'm not slabbering, but Stelek of YTTH, more than most players, likes to say he's very good at the game - but does he then take a sub-par list to Tournies to further prove his leetness?  No, he fucking does not. [Note - Stelek VERY clearly IS a very good player. No drama here!]

Ahem.

There are a number of excellent articles on places in my BlogRoll about managing your expectations before the game, so I'm not going into that in any detail - but it IS vital.  Know what you want from a game before it starts, and ASK YOUR OPPONENT what they want if unsure.

If you want a tight, hard-fought, challenging Competitive game, then go for it.  That's what I enjoy.  Sure, everyone likes to table the guy who always moves too far and is 'hazy' on rules, years into the Edition - but that's a very temporary pleasure, that mostly comes after, not during, the game.

If you want to tell a tale of derring-do and gallantry and stuff...play WFB.  :p
Nah, but if you want an Epic Story of a game, make that clear, and be aware it requires BOTH players deliberately sacrificing tactical ability in the name of 'fun' - something that is entirely subjective, and can still be readily ruined by the dice.  If you want an EPIC FIGHT between Logan and Draigo, but can only reach to charge that Halberd-armed GK between you and DRAAAAAAIIIIIIIGGGOOOOOOOOO, then get splatted by the Force Weapon? Suck it up.  Yes, it ruins the spectacle, but don't be a dick by saying so.

Does that cover it?

Are we clear?

If you don't want to play Competitively, it is your choice, and you should learn to expect losses against those who do, and should roll with them.  It IS just a game after all, as Srs Bsnus as Warhams is, you have to go with it, and not be That Guy...or you create a system that punishes players who have a different mentality, group together with like-minded individuals, and enforce this way of playing on half a continent.  Who's the bad guy again?

If you DO want to play Competitively, then relish losses more than wins.  People judge you on how well you take losses, especially when they know you were aiming for a competitive battle - and it doesn't matter if you got trashed.  In fact, if you thought you had a decent list, and got trashed by an inferior list, then you SHOULD take yourself off for 10-15 mins after the game.  Have a coffee, smoke, beer, whatevs.  Have a bun or cookie, treat yourself.

While you're off chilling, get a pen and paper, or a dictaphone if you're snazzy like that, and record EVERY single thing you think you did wrong.  After that, find your opponent, and ask for their opinion on what you could have done better.  Compare these notes, either with them, or later if your pride prevents this (get over it) and build on these flaws in your game.  Strength Through Adversity.

If you win, it is a LOT harder to notice mistakes, and even HARDER to be sure of them.  Knowing you didn't play perfectly in a win is easy, but pin-pointing it takes a laser-sharp focus that most people aren't capable of. I can do it sometimes, but I don't mean that in a boastful way - I've had a LOT of practice trying to do it.  Even then, often as not I find myself unable to be sure...or, worse, unconcerned.

Learn to Love Losing, because Without Losing, Learning is Limited.

17 comments:

IDICBeer 40k said...

Nice article and some great points here thanks

Thor said...

I love a good rant with focus that delivers. I'm not being facetious either.

Just got my ass handed to me last night and I won't claim to have been happy about it but I wasn't a dick, I didn't rant and rave, I took it on the chin and learned a lot from it.

Bully said...

Great post TKE, and for some reason does need to be said quite a lot.

Also - learn to dissect wins. A lot of people sit back and go "I won, so ergo I was right" or something along those lines, and that leads to repeating some things that were in fact wrong, but you got away with for some reason (opponent, dice, the wind).

I hate (or should I say I don't like it) losing, but part of me loves dissecting a game to work out why it happened, especially when your not sure straight after the game (sometimes its as clear as day and you know it when you've just taken your hand off the model or rolled that first dice).

Von said...

Good shit. I like that you account for the emotional reaction and encourage people to do so; you'll learn nothing if you're too angry to actually assess what happened with a degree of logic and maturity. Sometimes you need to make your excuses and go for a walk for five minutes: it's not childish to need a time out, but it IS childish to refuse to take one and end up stropping out in the middle of the tournament venue.

The hardest games to analyse are the ones where someone gets totally rolled. The close ones tend to have more memorable 'it could have gone the other way' moments that you can latch onto and use as guidelines for analysis; it's kind of hard to pick details out of a wall of epic win or fail.

Unknown said...

Damn straight King. Losing you learn so much, when you win you tend to over look the mistakes you made in game because you pulled through. After every game whether I win or lose I look at any mistakes I've made and try not to make them again. If I lost I look back and look way, was it bad dice? Was the opponents dice on fire? Did I do dumb stuff? Was the opponent a better player. Answer those questions and you will learn how to play better at 40k.

Thor said...

Hmm. I find dissecting an ass kicking a bit easier. Usually when I get rolled it's because of numerous mistakes made on my part. Hell, generally I realize them right after I do them. The close ones I have to consider more since I find generally it's a small mistake that tips it and spotting it a bit trickier.

Hell, we all operate differently though.

NockerGeek said...

Spot on on this post, TKE. It's the losses I suffer that force me to re-examine what I'm doing, what I just did, and how to adjust for what my opponent just did; wins just reinforce that what I'm doing is A-OK.

For example, I lost a tournament round this weekend to a Blood Angel player who built his army around Fear the Darkness, which easily chased my Tau off the board. Immediately after the game, I realized I should have built dual firebases against his list, rather than castling up in the center. Stupid mistake on my part, but it was my mistake. Won't happen again if I have any say. :)

Drkmorals said...

Good article! You have to challenge yourself to get better and to not let the game get stale is completely true and can honestly be applied to so many other things in life.

***golf clap

Carry on good sir

Dave Garbe said...

Excellent article! I've got to agree completely on this. I'd love to read an article from you on how to win (graciously)

Death Korps of War said...

tbh, if you get so worked up after losing a game of 40k, you really deserve to be despised by all. its only a game...its not the end of the world.
and to win graciously is not to act like a dick about it....simple as

TheKing Elessar said...

Thanks all, appreciate the comments and support.

Joe - you NEED to be able to take losses well. :P

Dave - that's the follow-up, pencilled in for Wednesday.

Drkmorals - Absolutely! I just wanted to avoid being preachy and saying that it relates to all spheres of life. :)

NockerGeek - Learning In Action! Glad to see it! :)

Thor - I assumed that was unusual, perhaps I was wrong?

Mercer - Yes indeedy, I just wish it was most (if not all!) players' default reaction!

Von - I tend to agree, and thanks for pointing out how I did that, I admit, I was pretty pleased with that passage.

Bully - Sadly, yes, frequent topic on the Blogosphere. Maybe someday we will get it right...as regards winning, as above, that's the follow-up. Hope it's as good!

:)

Death Korps of War said...

excuse me?????? you know rightly that i can take a loose....cheeky bastard. lol

TheKing Elessar said...

Haha Joe. :p

Thor said...

"Thor - I assumed that was unusual, perhaps I was wrong?"

Indeed unusual. Typically when I read rants they fail to hit their mark, bog themselves down and just end up being pointless. You, however, have done right by ranting and I commend you.

TheKing Elessar said...

Aw shucks. :)

Splinter said...

I liked your article!

I found a corner close by so I'll stop on by now and then!

Thanks for the kind words in that 'other' corner!

CK

TheKing Elessar said...

lol. Good to see you, CK.

Disclaimer.

Primarily, a blog to discuss the Games Workshop system Warhammer 40k, though not exclusively so. All GW IP used without permission, no challenge intended.

Pretty much everything here is my opinion. If you don't like my opinion, you are welcomed to say so. If you don't like me, but like my opinion, feel free to say so. If you don't like me or my opinion, I don't need to hear it. Why even visit?